Tascam 38 (possibly dumb) worries.

Deaaaath

Hi,
I am new to Analog recording and recently hooked up my Teac model 3 mixer to the Tascam 38. Everything seems to be running smoothly except for when I load the tape into the machine (which for all I know I'm doing poorly) and press play, there is this bothersome clicking noise eminating from the shut off arm. Is that normal or something I should worry about?

Also, am I supposed to use scotch tape or something to keep the tape fixed on the take up reel?

OK, first of all it's very hard to determine just from your description but no, that noise is certainly not normal.

To eliminate the obvious, first make sure you have the tape threaded correctly.* [See photo].

*also make sure that the proper side is in contact with the heads, usually the brown side or lighter side than the solid black [which is the backing].

Also, what exact type of tape are you using?

No need to use tape to secure to take up reel. Just wind it up by hand until it's on there good.

How do you know the clicking noise is coming from the shut off arm? Does it affect the performance or function of the machine? If you had the machine shipped then I'd also assume its been damaged in some way internally.

Is there a way for you to post a short video clip [with sound]?

---

Attachments

• 9bc9f112-d2d5-4240-9a80-79323b816cae_large.jpg
    9bc9f112-d2d5-4240-9a80-79323b816cae_large.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 77
Are you sure it's the shut off arm? I had a clicking noise during "play" suddenly start coming from my Tascam 22 just a week or two ago. I noticed a barely visible indent in the pinch roller causing it to bounce a little on the capstan. The sound was wobbly as well, but it was very slight. Replaced the pinch roller and solved the issue.

Thanks for your responses! I am not home right now but i'll take a look at the pinch roller when i get home. Is the pinch roller something that I can just replace myself easily?

Thanks for your responses! I am not home right now but i'll take a look at the pinch roller when i get home. Is the pinch roller something that I can just replace myself easily?
Yes. The holding cap unscrews and it comes off. I'm not sure how easy it is to buy '38 pinch rollers these days, but even if you can't replace it, there are places like Terry's Rubber Rollers who can refurbish it for you if you send it in.

http://terrysrubberrollers.com/

OK, this sounds to me like the tape is rubbing on the reel flanges. Check that before you do anything else.

-----

Also check to make sure the screws are tight on the tape reels. And maybe check the center screw on the reel clampers. Also maybe turn the tape clamper a little tighter.

Ok

OK

SO the rate of the noise is related to something physical. It is not the reel or reel hubs due to their slower period.

It sounds like the roller on the take up side arm. Right rate for it.

Next step is isolation. When you are playing a tape reach up and stop the roller from moving. The tape should continue to slide over the stationary roller. Noise still there? then not the roller. Noise gone, roller.

I have a quieter sound of the dame rate on the supply side of my 38. I have not gone after getting rid of it other than to change out the thrust washers and relube it. Haltin its rotation or pressing on it a little removes the sound for me.

I suspect that is is a defect inthe roller surface. I'll go after that with lapping film next time I get a chance.

Regards....

I stopped the roller and the noise stopped, but once i let go it got even more prominent. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the roller surface. Can someone tell me what I should go about doing now? Assuming it is a problem with the roller. Thanks!

I stopped the roller and the noise stopped, but once i let go it got even more prominent. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the roller surface. Can someone tell me what I should go about doing now? Assuming it is a problem with the roller. Thanks!

Make sure that it has the thrust washers on both sides. Move it from one side to the other and see if the noise goes with it (its the roller) or stays in the original place (its the shaft).

You can clean it very well and then lube it with a light machine oil or grease (intended for this application). Look for burrs and other defects and then lightly sand them away. Buy a new roller (surely someone has a spare?).

--E

Back