Tascam 38 issue

the marquis

Hello to all,

I am new here and wonder if I could get some input on my 38. I picked it up for $150.00 locally , everything seems o.k besides the captan. I should note that i'm a bit of a newb with reels but have been doing much reading and have some electronics exp. when I lift the tention roller I hear the motor spin up but the capstan will only move when turned by hand and it is quite hard to move and will only move very slowly for not even a full rotation. Belt or motor? whatcha think?

Thanks

Hello to all,

I am new here and wonder if I could get some input on my 38. I picked it up for $150.00 locally , everything seems o.k besides the captan. I should note that i'm a bit of a newb with reels but have been doing much reading and have some electronics exp. when I lift the tention roller I hear the motor spin up but the capstan will only move when turned by hand and it is quite hard to move and will only move very slowly for not even a full rotation. Belt or motor? whatcha think?

Thanks

Either one: belt or motor. Have you opened it up to take a look? That is your next step.

Its probly the belt. But I wouldnt run it anymore cause those belts can be like glue and it could burn your motor up trying to turn the capstan.

+1 to all above. If you can hear a motor spin up when you raise the tension arm, but the capstan shaft doesn't spin, I betcha it is indeed the capstan belt. Teac Parts has them (323) 727-4840 or email parts@teac.com. I recommend getting parts like that direct from Teac as it will likely be cheaper than places like eBay and it will be genuine Teac.

thanks guys...

ripped her apart and ineed i found what appears to be the belt complete but very gooey just lying there. there is some residue left on some parts. any suggestions for cleaning it off? hopefully everything else is fine and i scored..

Back