TapeandTape Opportunist thief

B

Beck

I no longer have any doubt that this lowlife SOB should be behind bars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110098171456

He is selling Capitol "Music Tape" (which by the way is one of the worst for sticky shed) saying it is similar to 456. :rolleyes:

He is also claiming a manufacture date of 1995... :rolleyes: :D :p :mad:

This stuff was made mid 70's to early 80's.

The fact that he is claiming 1995 tells me he is well aware of sticky shed syndrome, since that is considered the safe year. I also have no doubt whatsoever that he is baking these sticky tapes before shipping them. This guy is a criminal. I wouldn't buy so much as an empty tape box from this asshole.

If you are so inclined please send a complaint to eBay.

Ive had BAD experiences w/this prick too. AVIOD HIM AT ALL COSTS!!!

"lowlife SOB, asshole" is much too kind.

yeah a lot of the negative feedbacks are awful, like this one:

Took a while to get product (almost two months) but gave two for price of one.
Buyer qualityitems4less( 283) Jan-06-06 13:05 5829151170
Reply by tapeandtape: The US. MAIL media rate is slow 4-6weeks - order was placed before Thanksgiving Jan-06-06 16:17
Follow-up by qualityitems4less: Seller shipped FedEx Ground 42 days after paymnt/Multiple emails/Order misplaced

I was looking at the negative feedback too. 98% feedback = 26 unsatisfied customers out of 1300. Not too good. Not to mention the other 900 who probably didn't know they were unsatisfied before they left positive feedback.

The man is incompetent to run any sort of business.

Suuuuch a douche bag.

The title of the thread should simply be,

"TapeandTape... Complete Douche"

;)

Last edited:
SteveM said:
98% feedback = 26 unsatisfied customers out of 1300. Not too good. Not to mention the other 900 who probably didn't know they were unsatisfied before they left positive feedback.

...or were hesitant to leave him a neg for fear of retribution or "worked out" a return / refund outside of eBay .... All good points Steve. The above are reasons that the eBay feedback system is indeed problematic and inaccurate.

Tim, thanks for exposing another evildoer.
side note:
When shopping at eBay, as a general "rule", my red-flag goes up when a seller describes his/her activity in the section which is specifically designated for the description of the item while refering to him/her-self as "we".
Of course, there is a Margin of error there, and I suppose from time to time it is actually "THEM" and not "he" or "she" and I suppose what they do and how they do it may actually have something to do with the item that is presented for sale.
There are other things to mention here, such as (for example):
If you try to contact a seller who is "He" or "She" (who has been refered as "I", that is) it is likely that you get a response rather soon, often the same day. On the contrary when you contact "Them" - it is rather likely that you may get a response in a few days if any at all. I would guess, it's so because "He" or "She" must be too busy being "Them" while in respect to personal responsibilities being "Them" is the same as being "No one". Is this why people tend to become "Them" ? :D

wow. i bought tape directly from this guy 2 years ago during the drought. He was nice enough on the phone:
"Do you have 1/2" 456?"
"Sure, ive got a whole warehouse full"
"good, I was worried i wouldn't be able to find any"
"don't worry, I'll keep analog recording alive"
hmm
I thought everything was fine until my machine came screeching to a halt in the middle of a paid recording session...

ps. I finished that session on my 414 and I still got paid ;)

tape

Why do you even try to get tapes off ebay? Its a fuckup waiting to happen. Do people really want to try to save a couple bucks THAT badly?

While I certainly understand a person's need to save money, I totally agree with Good Friend. It's just not worth the risk.

I've bought a few nice new reels of tape on Ebay for great deal prices,...

all in all which turned out fine. I'd not recommend Ebay as a legitimate tape source, though there are a few decent deals to be had. There is a lot of crappy tape up on Ebay, along with a select few better or NOS tape. As always, buyer beware!

I look at tape on Ebay sometimes, but there are still reputable new tape dealers that are my preference for buying tape. :eek: ;)

+1 for avoiding. The first machine I had, our bass player buys a $20 roll of Ampex 456 1/2" from this guy. We thought it was the machine eating the tape! Just suck it up and buy it new. Part of the reason I switched to 1/4" machines, tape is cheap and will probably always be around for it.

TapeTape@aol.com

I just ordered 2 ONE inch BASF tapes from TapeTape for a session later this month. I already have one which I haven't tested from him. Are you guys telling me these tapes will blow the sessions?!!!

Is it the same place we're talking about - TapeTape is the same as tapeandtape? :confused:

tapeboy said:
I just ordered 2 ONE inch BASF tapes from TapeTape for a session later this month. I already have one which I haven't tested from him. Are you guys telling me these tapes will blow the sessions?!!!

Is it the same place we're talking about - TapeTape is the same as tapeandtape? :confused:

Yes that's him.

Whether it will be ok depends... What kind of tape is it?

Its a BASF 526 1"

Thet are BASF 526 1" (Emtec?)

Hope they're all right or I've suddenly got a panic situation on the way! Where can I buy 1 inch tape that ships to Europe then? Would Thomann in Germany be the best bet.

Beck said:
I no longer have any doubt that this lowlife SOB should be behind bars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110098171456

He is selling Capitol "Music Tape" (which by the way is one of the worst for sticky shed) saying it is similar to 456. :rolleyes:

He is also claiming a manufacture date of 1995... :rolleyes: :D :p :mad:

This stuff was made mid 70's to early 80's.

The fact that he is claiming 1995 tells me he is well aware of sticky shed syndrome, since that is considered the safe year. I also have no doubt whatsoever that he is baking these sticky tapes before shipping them. This guy is a criminal. I wouldn't buy so much as an empty tape box from this asshole.

If you are so inclined please send a complaint to eBay.

The general problem with ALL these "one-pass" used tape suppliers is that they buy used tape from ANYWHERE. Now, I have bought many reels of 2" from this guy and every one is great. I only had one problem ,not with the tape,but with a price on an order and he cleared it up on the phone. The general problem is that many 2" and probably 1" tape is used less that 1/2" and 1/4". Usually home recordists use the former two and use the tape for tons of passes. Pro studios usually have far less passes then the home studip people. The used tape dealers only buy, bulk erase, and sell. I believe that you are far more likely to get "very,very used 2000 pass tape" in 1/2" and 1/4" than 1" and 2"

At least, this has been my experience.

I also have not bought any tape from this company for 1-2 years so they may have changed hands or just gone waaaay down hill.

Thanks and while you're there!

Ok. Let's hope I'm lucky with the one inch! I've tried on this forum before to ask what I should do with my Soundcraft 760 2 inch machine. I'm not that modern thinking, so maybe I'm putting it the wrong way.

The machine is dead but the sounds cards and heads etc. are perfect. I was wondering if it might be an idea to cut my losses and sell off the cards and reserve bits on ebay but I want to ask a reasonable price and have no idea.

Thanks again and any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

MCI,

I would have thought the opposite....that the 2" tapes have been run 2000 times by pro studios and the 1/4" maybe only 15-20 times by home studios. ?

as to the 2" deck, you might want to ask Blevins for their opinion. blevinsaudioexchange.com .

:)
tapeboy said:
Thet are BASF 526 1" (Emtec?)

Hope they're all right or I've suddenly got a panic situation on the way!

You may be ok for now (sorta) with BASF 526 if it is actually new. It’s not really used for multi-tracking, but was made specifically for loop-bin mastering. The loop master was put in a special machine as the master for mass cassette production.

It is very thick and tough tape, really better at ¼” or ½” widths if you needed an indestructible half-track master for archiving. It is good for thousands of passes, but consequently will be harder on your tape heads for multi-tracking. If you are going to be using it a lot you should recalibrate the tension on your machine. It also has the same problems as +9 tape, since it’s thicker, more rigid, so harder for the machine to pull through the tape transport.

Well, I won’t kid you… use it since you’ve got it but switch to one of the standards we’ve always recommended here ASAP: Quantegy 456 or 406; BASF/EMTEC/RMGI 911 or 468… and for smaller widths the list includes Quantegy 457 and 407; RMGI LPR35, and Maxell XL 35-xxB (35-90B or 35-180B depending on reel size).

The main problem with Bill at tapetape is the guy is either deceiving, or being deceived by someone he trusts… or both. The consequences are the same… we get shitty tape. He regularly mischaracterizes tape types in his eBay listings. For example, saying Scotch 250 and 986 are +9 tapes like 499 and saying AGFA 468 and 469 are “Exactly the same.” He also claims more recent manufacturing dates for tapes that weren’t even being made by the date claimed.

And last but not least he sells sticky shed tape… lots of it. His listings are full of older AMPEX from the sticky years and AGFA 469, 3M 226 and 250. These tapes will work for a while if he bakes them (which I suspect) but then one day… BOOM! Your tape machine comes to a screeching halt when the tape goes back to its sticky state weeks or maybe months later.

One other thing… he’s claiming tapes are “one-pass” but some haven’t been manufactured for over ten years. Come on, really…how “one-pass” could these old AMPEX tapes from the 80’s and 90’s be? Recycled over and over again is more like it.

The bottom line is that Bill is so far off in describing his tapes, he is not a credible source.

Everyone should also check the “Sticky: List of Bad Tapes on eBay” thread if you’re not that well acquainted with open-reel tape. Bad tapes from tapeandtape are regularly featured there.

~Tim
:)

Last edited:
Back