Otar 2 track XLR LINE INPUT RE-WIRING

thereelman77

Having trouble re-wiring the LINE INPUT on my deck.

I have re-wired the LINE INPUT, using a jumper, according to the manuals specifications and am not having any luck with any of the options.

Do I need a special cable, am I missing something? I am simply running from the XLR out of a mixer to the XLR LINE IN into the deck. I re-wired the MIC INPUTS already, but I'm not understanding these line inputs...
Thoughts?

Mmmmmm....???

It should be the same as the Mic....an XLR connector.
All you need to do is take the Pin 2 and Pin 3 wires and swap them so that the hot is now on Pin 2 instead of Pin 3.

What's the dilemma...?
What do you mean "used a jummper"...?...there shouldn't be any jummper, just swap the two wires.

Ahh, but their are 3 wire: The main wrapped wire, with 2 smaller wires (an orange and a light blue/white colored one).

The manual states:

For unbalanced inputs using two-conductor shielded cable, wire the male XLR as follows:
1. Connect the signal leads of a cable to pin 3 (high) and pin 2 (low) of the connector.
2. Connect the cable shield to pin 1 of the connector.
3. Connect a jumper from pin 1 to pin 2 of the connector.

We did that and tried the other 2 wiring options the manual had.
Still no signal, well a signal, but real low and distorted.

What mixer? Are you sure the outputs are balanced?

If they are unbalanced, is pin 2 or pin 3 hot on the mixer?

Does it look like anybody already modified the input of the otari to pin 2 hot?

Basically, you need to confirm that the mixer is truly a balanced output because if it is not, and the pin designator for the "hot" or signal conductor is different than how the otari is setup, all your signal will be shunted to ground (iow you won't hear a thing).

As an aside I'd also make sure your xlr cable is "straight" (iow pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3).

1. Start with the mixer...what make and model?

2. Check the cable.

3. Then we can look at the otari.

What exacly are you trying to do....wire the Line Input for standard, Pin 2 Hot, connections....or trying to just make it into an unbalance input...?

Either way...keep in mind that on the Otari, Pin 3 is Hot...most devices these days use Pin 2.
So first consider that.
Then, if you want to make it unbalanced....just use the Shield and Hot wires, and forget the Cold wire.

In their desicription, they are just connecting Shield and Cold together. You can try that too, or leave the Cold off.

Yes, what is at the mixer end....?
Let's sort it out at both ends before you start connecting/changin annything.

To back up a bit.

I'm just using a small Soundcraft EMP 6, with Monster XLRs. I don't know if it is unbalanced or balanced.

All I'm trying to do is get a signal to run thru the Line inputs and I figured that I just needed to re-wire them to pin 2 hot.

I only adjusted channel 1 and left channel 2 intact, in case I needed to reference it.

best practice is to strap the cold and ground conductors at the input jack of the device. That way any induced RF in the cable run is shunted to ground at the input.

Back up,
Laymen terms please?

Strap- do you mean to electrically tape the wires away from the XLR jack and then only leave the shielded cable attached?

The manual for your board syas the outputs are balanced. The Otari is most likely pin 3 hot, not pin 2 hot, and it is unbalanced, so basically pin 2 and pin 1 go to ground. This shouldn't be a problem passing signal, except your signal will be 180 out of phase, (which could be a problem). You want to swap 2 and 3 on the Otari. Also, IIRC the Otari expects a +4dB signal. A quick look at the manual for your board didn't tell me if the L/R XLR outs are +4dB or not.

Usually XLR is +4dB (1.23v) and RCA is -10dB. (.316v --I think) so that may explain the low and distorted signal if you XLR outs are not 1.23v

The Otari is most likely pin 3 hot, not pin 2 hot, and it is unbalanced, so basically pin 2 and pin 1 go to ground.

Mmmmmm.....yes, they do come with Pin 3 Hot, but my 5050 BIII is balanced +4 at the Line In/Out.
Not sure if all the different 5050 versions over time were the same, so maybe some of the older ones might have been unbalanced and -10 at the Line In/Out....but I would check that to be sure.

I mean....if he's seeing a shield wrap wire, pluse two conductors....I would guess it is balanced.

Yes, that was the problem, we went under the assumption that it was un-balanced.
It is balanced and we fixed the wiring, just crossed and soldered them.

Back