Nakamichi Analogue Cassette Decks

kjbleus

Newbie here, but I've been around the block on the internet for 9 years. I've been using analogue audio for nearly thirty years, and Nakamichi cassette decks for nearly twenty years.

Wondering whom else on the Analog Only BBS has similar interests. Currently listening to Floyd's DSotM album on my Nak 680ZX deck. Cheers....

Newbie here, but I've been around the block on the internet for 9 years. I've been using analogue audio for nearly thirty years, and Nakamichi cassette decks for nearly twenty years.

Wondering whom else on the Analog Only BBS has similar interests. Currently listening to Floyd's DSotM album on my Nak 680ZX deck. Cheers....

hello, mr. bleus!
i follow your nakchat 'forum', which i appreciate having available.
people must have missed this thread, apparently.

for any nakamichi experts:
my nak mr-1, which i got off of ebay 3 weeks ago, in the last 3 days, has started emitting a 'rattling' sound from, it sounds like, the take up reel after being in play for ~35 minutes (with tape being played-which still sounds great!).
if i remove tape and hit 'play', rattling is gone. tried several brands/lengths of tape, no difference.

also, and it may be related, after same amount of time, the rewind (and to a lesser extent) the f forward belts start slipping and whining.

has anyone had a similar experience with an mr-1 and know of cheap easy fix?

as i have very little $ in this so far, i may get belt kit and attempt a fix myself-but i have zero experience working on any kind of recorder-just know how to use them.
or send out to a 'pro' to do the job after i get my akai 630dss rehabbed.

thanks all!

Wow, it has been a few days since I've checked in here.

I've got a Nak MR-2 that a friend gave me about a year or two ago. It sat in his closet for a while. After a good cleaning of the transport, it performs first rate. I consider myself lucky to have the MR-2 along with my Tascam 122b sitting in the same rack.:p

Wow, it has been a few days since I've checked in here.

I've got a Nak MR-2 that a friend gave me about a year or two ago. It sat in his closet for a while. After a good cleaning of the transport, it performs first rate. I consider myself lucky to have the MR-2 along with my Tascam 122b sitting in the same rack.:p

never had an mr-2 but it sounds like a good machine also.

enjoy!

ot; it looks like a new idler tire may solve my mr-1s issues.
from what i've read, it seems simple enough that i may be able to do it after i get a new tire.
(what is this 'buying tires for tape decks' business, anyway? sounds like when you need a new tire(s) for your car).LOL!

never had an mr-2 but it sounds like a good machine also.

enjoy!

ot; it looks like a new idler tire may solve my mr-1s issues.
from what i've read, it seems simple enough that i may be able to do it after i get a new tire.
(what is this 'buying tires for tape decks' business, anyway? sounds like when you need a new tire(s) for your car).LOL!

I was going to say something about an idler, but I didn't know what the innards of the MR-1 consisted of. Probably some slippage and chatter going on in there from either being dirty or just worn out.;)

I have no Nakamichis.

My favorite cassette deck is the Technics RS-955, DolbyB/C & dbx NR, with Fe, Cr02 or Metal tape auto select.
It's sweet and sounds great! Topline stuff!:eek:;)

Attachments

• file_9107.jpg
    file_9107.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 123
My favorite cassette deck is the Technics RS-955, DolbyB/C & dbx NR, with Fe, Cr02 or Metal tape auto select.
It's sweet and sounds great! Topline stuff!:eek:;)

Well aren't you special!:p:D

Some of us don't have every piece of analog gear like you man.:D Well, okay, maybe not every piece, but damn it you could open a Tascam museum at your place!:eek::p

Seriously though, I would love to have a deck that had dbx. Would be a pretty good companion to my 424mkII.

Yeah, dbx, then check out 80's Technics cassette decks.

The RS-955 is actually kind of hard to find. It was topline when new and I don't know how well sold they were,... but I have three!:eek::eek::eek:;)

...my nak mr-1...has started emitting a 'rattling' sound...also, and it may be related, after same amount of time, the rewind (and to a lesser extent) the f forward belts start slipping and whining.
i may get belt kit and attempt a fix myself-but i have zero experience working on any kind of recorder...

Replacing the "rubber" in most cassette decks is not difficult, but can be tedious. Lots of little passage ways that you must thread the new belts thur, and the transport mechinism must be partially dissasembled. YOu can probably handle it, just take your time and don't get rushed. And be careful in laying the parts out in the order they came apart, so you have a guide on how to put them back.

Good luck.

Replacing the "rubber" in most cassette decks is not difficult, but can be tedious. Lots of little passage ways that you must thread the new belts thur, and the transport mechinism must be partially dissasembled. YOu can probably handle it, just take your time and don't get rushed. And be careful in laying the parts out in the order they came apart, so you have a guide on how to put them back.

Good luck.

A digital camera is an indispensable tool!;) It sure came in handy when I replaced the belt in my 122b. Those little cable twist ties that come with any new gadget have a good use in tight spaces too. Had to fashion a makeshift hook to guide the belt through the maze of crap in the innards.

I'm also a fan of classic Naks. I have two 480's and an LX3. All needed work when I got them but after much TLC are now running beautifully. I especially like the Nak pad lifter arrangement. AFIK Nak were they only ones to use it. Less scrape flutter, better tracking and much less head wear.
I've worked on other models but for me the best ones have the classic mechanism.

Cheers Tim

I'm also a fan of classic Naks. I have two 480's and an LX3. All needed work when I got them but after much TLC are now running beautifully. I especially like the Nak pad lifter arrangement. AFIK Nak were they only ones to use it. Less scrape flutter, better tracking and much less head wear.
I've worked on other models but for me the best ones have the classic mechanism.

Cheers Tim

I've heard about that mechanism but didn't know which models (other than the Dragon) had that feature.:confused:

2nd AKAI GX-630DSS!

didnt see need to start new thread so i'll put this here (and it's a little ot but still 'bout analog stuff)-

lucky me! won a akai gx-630dss 10" 4 trk/4ch r2r off of ebay last pm.
this matches and will keep company the gx-630dss i've already had for 30 years and is waiting for go in for rehab.

should be here in about 8 days.:D

edit-ordered idler tire for nakamichi mr-1 last week; should be here tues/wed.

Is the MR-1 a 3 head deck? The MR-2 is just a 2 head deck. I've been spoiled by my 122 having 3 heads for monitoring purposes. If the MR-1 is the same configuration (3 head) I may have to add one to the stable.;)

Is the MR-1 a 3 head deck? The MR-2 is just a 2 head deck. I've been spoiled by my 122 having 3 heads for monitoring purposes. If the MR-1 is the same configuration (3 head) I may have to add one to the stable.;)

yes, mr-1 has 3 heads.

I bought a Nak 482Z new back in 1981 and still have it. It was what I mixed on for about 20 years. These days I only use it to play back old mixes, as it won't go into record and can't be fixed without replacing a transformer you just can't get. Besides, I'd record on a 1/4" machine or some unmentionable device using 0's and 1's before recording to cassette these days.

In hindsight, I wish I had invested in a 1/4" 2-track from the get go, but the Nak did amazingly well for a cassette machine once I figured out not to use NR. Also very handy for quick recordings of live tracks.

Cheers,

Otto

edit-ordered idler tire for nakamichi mr-1 last week; should be here tues/wed.
idler tire for mr-1 delivered yesterday. d**m, awfully small. havent removed back plate in cassette well yet so i had no idea how small tire was/is.

well, i'll wait till its open before making a decision to replace tire myself. i may just send it out-a minor pita.

Nakamichi Mr-1 #2 Just Delivered!

in the last 5 weeks, i had a local tech guy install the idler tire in the mr-1; too delicate for my 'butterfingers'.
that mr-1 is now singing like a bird.

i like mr-1s so much i had to get a 2nd one. bought it for a 'song' off ebay and it was delivered today. cleaned it up, in and out, and it also sings like a bird!

also, met up with my local repair tech guy and turned my ailing akai gx-630d-ss 4trk/4ch reel to reel over to him for capstan motor replacement and other more minor stuff.
it will be nice to once again hear it 'sing like a bird!'

Back