How to get the most out of a Tascam mkII Portastudio?

mellotron

How much difference in sound quality will there be between using a Nady SP1 and an SM57 with this recorder? Will there be a lot more fuzz using a cheaper mic?

Should I get a Direct Box to convert the impedance for an SM57? Should I even bother getting a tube compressor to keep levels from spiking?

How much difference in sound quality will there be between using a Nady SP1 and an SM57 with this recorder? Will there be a lot more fuzz using a cheaper mic?

Should I get a Direct Box to convert the impedance for an SM57? Should I even bother getting a tube compressor to keep levels from spiking?

If you find the stock pres too noisy, one trick is to use an external pre to get the signal up and run it through the MKII's sub inputs, which bypass the channel electronics and just hit the master fader before going to tape.

You can get away with no compressor for a lot of stuff as tape saturation does its thing well enough for many signals. A strong (not ridiculously high) signal will lower your noise floor and give you some tape compression. Not to be snarky, but the best thing would be to get familiar with the 424 and see what it's capable of. Guitar center et al are pretty good about returns. Try stuff out and see what works and sounds good to your ears.

If you don't find the dbx allows enough tape compression, I've had good experience with the ART ProVLA. The dbx stuff is alright too.

I built a Hamptone JFET dual preamp kit and bass di through that just kills. Plenty of gain for ribbon mics, including a cheap Nady I've got.

Anything I've overgeneralized or missed will be promptly brought to your attention I assure you:D

Last edited:
Would a DMP3 be suitable as an external pre?

What do you think of a TASCAM MF-P01 Recording Bundle? Is the crappiness of the mic not worth it? I'm really looking for a cost effective solution.

Would a DMP3 be suitable as an external pre?

What do you think of a TASCAM MF-P01 Recording Bundle? Is the crappiness of the mic not worth it? I'm really looking for a cost effective solution.

That unit wouldn't be my first choice. Yes, it's incredibly cheap.
But you can only record one track at a time.
It has no noise reduction.
It runs at regular speed, not double speed like any of the better ones.
It has no eq.

The lack of noise reduction and double tape speed are definite deal breakers. The sound will be pretty horrid, and not near representative of the quality you can get if you spring for just a little more. A little patience will serve you well and you'll have a peice that you'll keep around a long time.

Why not watch Craigslist and snag a used Tascam 424? For a good basic mic, a used Shure SM57 dynamic mic.
The 424's pres are fine to get started and you can upgrade when you get the funds together.

Last edited:
I've decided on SM57 for mic, still need to decide which brand

Does anyone here have experience with the Fostex X-12 or the Tascam 488?

I'm considering the X-12 because I'm not sure what the advantages to the mkII Portastudio's 2-track simultaneous recording will be for just demos.

I might get a Tascam 488 off of ebay. It has 8 tracks, which would be great if I decide to use bongos and tambourine along with cello and guitar.

(unintentionally got the "thumbs down" icon on here, can't seem to remove it. Nothing personal...)

Being able to record two tracks at a time means if you want to sing and play guitar simultaneously, you can record each on its own track. You can stereo mic a single source, you can have a direct signal and a room signal, multiple direct signals. Of course you can just send the two signals to one track if your happy with the mix before you commit it to recording.

Last edited:
I'd go for the 488 or 488mkII, of the units mentioned so far,...

with something like the 424mkII or 414mkII as second choice,... and forget the rest.

The Tascam MF-P01 and Fostex X-12 are so low-end and lacking in features & capabilities, that they relegate themselves to being only "scratchpad" recorders, and limited ones at that. The MF-P01 and X-12 don't have what it takes to make "serious" productions in home recording. However, it's a great first step or intro- recorder to the complete novice or 8-year old home rec'er, but anyone with any aspirations or talent would quickly out-grow those recorders,... like in a day or two.:eek::eek:;)

The high end Tascam Portastudios are worlds apart from the low end units.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1- Tascam 488mkIIb.jpg
    1- Tascam 488mkIIb.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 435
  • 1 - Tascam MF-P01.jpg
    1 - Tascam MF-P01.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 438
Back