help please - what mixer?

ClausRogge

I´ve got an 8track Fostex M80 and want to find the right mixing console to go with it. I´m insecure as to what to look after in the ads (like ebay):
Ideally, I´d get me an 8track "inline" mixer but they are not often found. The next possibility would be to have a 16track mixing console and use eight of the tracks to play into the tape machine and eight others to listen to what´s on the tape (I DON´T want to plug in and out all the time - am looking for a solution where I can leave everything connected).
If I´ve understood well so far, I need something called "direct out". But do I need 16 ouputs? I obviously do NOT need something that has only one stereo out but would 8 busses do?
I´m awfully scared of spending money on something that I will not be able to use - looking at a Allen & Heath GS1 right now. It looks as if there is one direct out and one tape return for each channel - that would mean it´s an "inline" or have I misunderstood?

Hi Cjacek and thank you for taking the time! Please help me understand ... I probably went by this one because there are only 4 VU meters and I thought I need at least 8. Second, is this an "inline" device? It nearly sounds like it in the description but I´m not sure what to look for. Third, can I connect my 8track with this one and leave all teh connections where they are?? Thank you again for your pateince with this here newbie ...

Inputs 1-4 of the Fostex 80 are "normalled" to inputs 5-8.

Unless you need to record 8 tracks at once, you can connect the four outs of this board to the 1-4 ins on the Fostex 80.

OK so I do not need 8 outs but only 4 ... does this mean a 12track would suffice, provided it has 4 direct outs? I really appreciate you taking your time guys ... there is so much I need to understand. What if I had 4 AUX sends - could I make it work that way as well? Sadly, the music store in town doesn´t help me a lot - they know everything about all the new digital gear and do not want me to spend my money anywhere else - of course they don´t ;)

It's important to know how you record but suffice to say that the 308, while a 4 bus mixer, can easily handle an 8 track setup and it's actually one of the mixers that will fit in very well with your Fostex. It's a perfect fit and local so that's why I pointed it out. Check out the attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 60
Thanks again, this is very valuable information ... I´m currently watching the desk you recommended and will see what´s going to happen. Thank you everybody for your advice! I was terribly insecure and all these technical terms were confusing but I think you have sorted me out so far!

Let's see if I can tag on to what has been said without saying too much and confusing you.

I really want to help you get comfortable.

If you typically record 1 track at a time, then the M-308 is more than everything you need.

It has direct outs on each of the 8 channel strips so if ever you did want to record all 8 tracks at once you could do it no problem, though you'd have to plug the 8 inputs of the Model 80 to the 8 direct outs.

Normally it sounds like you would be just having the 4 program "group" outputs connected to the Model 80 inputs. As was mentioned, the M-308 group outs have two jacks for each output, so outputs 1~4 would connect to Model 80 inputs 1~4, and group outputs 1~4 would ALSO be connected to Model 80 inputs 5~8. They could stay connected all the time since there are two output jacks in parallel for each group output on the M-308. This is a perfectly normal way to do this. Often times a 4-group mixer is connected to an 8-track machine...and often an 8-group mixer is connected to a 16-track machine. There's nothing wrong with an 8-group mixer to an 8-track machine of course, and neither is there anything wrong with a 4-group mixer connected in this way to a 16-track machine. Program groups or "subgroups" are simply a convenience in a recording setup...like an infinitely variable patchbay.

Understand this: each mixer channel 1~8 (on the M-308) can be routed to any one or all program groups using the ASSIGN switches on each channel strip along with the PAN control. Let's say you connect a microphone to channel 1 and you ASSIGN it to program group 1. Using the dual output jacks on the M-308 the mic is now connected to Model 80 inputs 1 and 5. You can now control which track records by using the record arming switches on the Model 80. So you could record that mic on to track 1 or track 5 or BOTH...right?

So what if you want to always have that mic connected to channel 1 of the mixer but you want to record on to track 3 next and then track 6 after that? Simple. Using the ASSIGN switches just route that mic to group 3. Now the mic signal is present at the Model 80 inputs 3 and 7. Record enable track 3 and record away. Next ASSIGN the mic on channel 1 of the mixer to group 2. That mic signal is now going to inputs 2 and 6 of the Model 80 right? You know what comes next...record enable track 6 and record. So you see, in this way you can have sources permanently connected to the 8 channels of the M-308 and each of those 8 sources can make their way to any, all or any combination of tape tracks using the ASSIGN switches and the program groups. You would simply need 8 RCA --> RCA cables or an 8-channel RCA --> RCA snake to connect the 4 pairs of program group outputs of the M-308 to the 8 inputs of the Model 80.

So now what about outputs?

An "inline" mixer doesn't mean a mixer with both mic and line inputs on a channel. "Inline" describes a mixer that has a mixer within the mixer...on each strip, looking at one channel, you can see a main input and one or more ways to simultaneously access another input and the controls are physically in-line rather than being separated out to different sections of the mixer. The M-300 series mixers are some of my very favorite. Each channel strip has a mic input and a line input. Each of those main inputs has a separate TRIM control. You can access the line input via one of the aux channels while having the mic input sourced to the main strip...a little sub mixer. Here's the kicker...the M-300 mixers ALSO have 8 TAPE input jacks. Those can be monitored in a separate monitor mixer that is over the group faders so you as the operator can hear any and/or all tape tracks along with the sources of the channel strips...you can independently control the level of each tape track as well as control placement in the stereo field. Those tape jacks can also be the "line" input source at the channel strip if there is nothing plugged into the LINE input jack...tape return jack 1 goes to mixer channel 1 and so on. What this means is that the tape outputs can, with the push of a button, be the source of the mixer channels for mixdown time, or can be routed to an aux send with that inline "mixer within the mixer" feature for a headphone "cue" feed/mix...again with the push of a button. Very powerful. And remember that there are separate trim controls for line and mic inputs so you can even set and forget your mic trims if you have sources permanently connected to the mic jacks. you don't have to mess up the trim level when you switch to the "line" source (and remember that is the tape returns if nothing is plugged into the line jacks on the channel strips) since it has its own trim pot. One more 8-channel RCA --> RCA snake and your Model 80 outputs are permanently hooked up to the mixer...and can be monitored, setup for a cue mix or routed to the strips for mixdown all without unplugging or plugging in anything.

THAT'S what you are looking for. I would watch that M-308 auction closely. Not only are they a full featured mixer with a relatively compact footprint (but not TOO compact if you know what I mean), but they sound great too.

I sincerely hope that helps and don't feel shy about asking more questions. We love this stuff, and there's no question too simple...that's how we all learn and we learn more by helping and answering questions too. ;)

WOW that was great help ... I saved all of your post to my Desktop and will try to understand it in little bits as I go along! It´s easier to follow once I have the thing here ... which might very well be after the auction ends on sunday

Okay. Keep us posted. Let me know if there are pieces of what I said that get garbled in any language barrier (though your english is great). I'll do what I can so it makes sense.

BTW, the Model 80 is a great sounding machine.

Yes please one more question ... This one

>link<

looks (esp. the last picture you scroll down to) as if it had one Direct Out and one Tape In on each channel ... would that serve my purpose as well? I´ll stop going on your nerves shortly - have already learned a LOT from you guys in these few hours. But this A&H does look as if it were exactly what I have been looking for.

Please...you are not getting on our nerves.

I've never seen a GS1 before.

That would work great too.

There are no level controls for the subgroups so that just means the levels are controlled by the channel faders...minor incovenience...but there are 8 groups so that simplifies track routing...and there are tape returns that can by monitored "inline" or, like with the Tascam, switched to the channel strip input using the "mixdown" button. More aux sends, less monitoring control (which really doesn't matter if its just you or maybe you and a friend recording) than the Tascam...not as good standard metering than the Tascam but there is a meter-bridge option...he GS1 is expandable which is nice if ever you did need for channels...Allen & Heath make good stuff. I'm sure it is a fine sounding mixer, so consider it another option. May need less TLC too due to age, so for you the GS1 may be a better option overall. Looks like a neat mixer.

Other thoughts guys?

Thanks for the hands up ... how much should I be prepared to slash out for that one? I was thinking of 250 € - that´s about the same number of dollars I think ...

And of course, Getting, not Going on sb´s nerves. Sorry.

Well, there's very little in terms of used market prices for that model so it's a tough one. That GS1 cost about 1000 British Pounds (about $2000 USD) but that's in 1990's money so..... that would be a bit more in todays funds. It really depends on the condition and your valuation, what you are comfortable paying etc..

The only thing that I would say is that the one in the auction looks mint and if it's fully functional then bid the max that you feel comfortable with knowing that you probably are getting a very good deal, on a mixer that was originally quite expensive, well built / designed and had good reviews.

Got the Fostex - for 197 €! The A&H went for just one € more than I was able to spend - which is OK. Now I´m looking forward to fooling around with my new toy ;)

Got the Fostex - for 197 €!

You mean the TASCAM. ;) Good price and local too! Can't go wrong. :)

The A&H went for just one € more than I was able to spend - which is OK. Now I´m looking forward to fooling around with my new toy ;)

Realize that the buyer (who beat you), most likely set up a max bid which was significantly higher than the amount he paid. No big loss. The 308 will be better, IMHO, if it's 100% functional. If possible have the seller demo the mixer for you in person so that everything works as it should.

Update us if you can. :)

Back