Confessions of a M312b owner.

Hey thanks Herm.

Getting down to 'Music Go Round' was something of a pain, but once I got there it was great! They are in a new little strip mall which is unusual for the area, but there was actually parking!!

Once inside I was in heavan! I love used gear and they had a pretty nice selection. (I didn't look at the guitars, so who knows?) Lot's of amps and cabinets and an array of mixers... Couple racks of who knows what. The standard used wares, but plenty of it.
I'm going to check out another location that's actually closer to me when I get a chance.

:)

Cool... Thanks Ghost.

The adrenaline is wearing off and I have a happy glow.
So after a few zzzz I'm gonna do the final stages of testing and then maybe do a simple test recording.

Go Cubs

Billy,

Check your e-mail for the flow chart. It was too big a file to post here.

I hope it helps you out!

Cheers! :)

ps, the package arrived today! I like #5! there is some posibilites there, I think! As for some of the other stuff, I am working my way through it.:eek: :D :cool:

Okay, listen up M312 newbies!

I'll cut to the chase for'ya, on something that took me a while to figure out.

The cue/tape return section is separate from the main input channels, there on the right of the board, with GAIN and PAN only, but how do you route the tape returns down through the mixer channel, for EQ & all that, when mixing down?

Well, the TAPE RTNs are "normalled" to the LINE INs of the first 8 channels of the board, but there must NOT be a 1/4" plug in the LINE IN jack of that channel.

What that means in layman's terms, is that to SWITCH signal routing from the TAPE RTN to the MAIN MIXER CHANNEL, you'd select LINE IN on that channel, but there must not be anything plugged into the LINE IN jack, otherwise it would break the signal path.

However elementary that may seem to some of you engineers out there, it took me a few minutes to figure that out, & made me think. IMO You just don't pick that up immediately just by looking at the board, or FWIW, by looking at the signal flow diagram, TEAC "pictogram".

Other boards may require repatching between functions for either inputs, tracking, or mixdown, but TASCAM does it with the flip of a switch or press of the button, which is pretty slick. I'll guarantee that you won't find that slick signal routing design feature on Mackie, Behringer, or dare I say,... Soundcraft!

BTW, Billy, a lot of the previous boards you were shopping were not the specialized RECORDING mixers that your TASCAM M312B is. Tascam recording mixers have very slick design, and the vintage boards especially were very well built!

Oh, how sweet it is!

Am I repeating myself?;)

Excellent point, ARP!

The picto-gram doesn't clearly document that but, I think it is the most useful 2 pages in the entire manual for a beginner and for the more experienced user.

Did you get the file billy?

You ARE the man Ghost!!
Thanks a ton!

I can't find anything wrong with this board... I'm so keeping it!

(Yikes! I told you I was no singer!
Good luck listening to that racket! (Asprins might help)
Seriously, thanks alot for spinning it. #5 is a prime example of me reaching outside of my abilty in the writing and playing in hopes of conveying the "feel" of what the song might be like.
Up till then I had never done anything like it.
Did you notice those measures just before the outro where I punched in on my sync track? Opps. LOL
I like #3 alot too. The production is a bit more... "Stable" LOL.
How do you like my friends band?)

Again,
Thank you mucho for the routing image... I'm gonna go check it out!

Go Cubs

Also to Herm,

If you want the same file as I sent to Billy, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it your way too.

You might find it helpful until you get the manual?

Lemmie know.;)

So.... Hey there Ghost old buddy old pal...How are you today?
You had your coffee yet? How's everything going?
Blood pressure stable? LOL

I'M STILL IN THE DARK IN MAJOR PLACES......HELP!!!!!!

LOL

BillyFurnett said:
So.... Hey there Ghost old buddy old pal...How are you today?
You had your coffee yet? How's everything going?
Blood pressure stable? LOL

I'M STILL IN THE DARK IN MAJOR PLACES......HELP!!!!!!

LOL

I was ok but, now I am nervous!:eek:

What's up?

Man!
I hate if I make it frustrating for you..., I mean I feel like my constant questions are turning into a part time job (Non paid) for you. :( BUT (Sigh) I'm still trying to grasp the process to and from the 38. (The flow chart has helped)
Basically I understand how it would work using
Board direct out> 38 Input (Or DX4) THEN 38 Output (Or Dx4)> Board Line in... I can roll with that way, but I'm not getting the other way that you explained. The double buss thing does not compute. You mentioned that the double buss is tailored
to 8 tracking, but 4 tracks at a time. In my head it's like signal is going from the left side of the board (channels) to the right side of the board (controled in a secondary fashion by the 4 yellow faders) then out to the 38. THEN from the 38 back to the right side of the board (I guess the tape return level controls how much signal) THEN (I want to say) as Reel suggested I hit the Line button and the signal from tape goes from the right side of the board BACK TO the Left side (For EQ) THEN back to the right side to the Stereo master out (Level controled by the two master faders).

Inspite of (Despite??) the simple titles and descriptions (Cus when I hear all the correct terms I begin to get lost LOL) IS this correct?

Second of all, you mentioned I won't have to repatch for
mix down... IS that because when everything comes back from the 38 and goes over to the channel side it's there that I will decide via the Pan as to odd or even meaning the four yellow faders will control two of the 38's recorded signals each THEN it's on to the stereo master faders and out (complete!)

PLEASE tell me although crude, I DO have it.
(If not, then either lie and say I do OR take a few deep breaths... No use for you to go grey over this one.)

LOL I'm scared to hit "Post reply"!!

Thank you

Go Cubs

Last edited:
Inspite of the simple titles and descriptions (Cus when I like hear all the terms I begin to get lost LOL) IS this correct?

Surprisingly, yes! I think you have the gist of it!:)

Second of all. You mentioned I won't have to re patch for mix-down

That's correct as well! You simply turn off the tape returns on the right side of the board, take out any 1/4" plugs that are in the line inputs of channels 1 - 8 on the mixer and the signal from the 38 will be routed to the mixer's main strips where you can tweak levels, eq, sends to effects and pan positions all to the stereo buss which will feed a two track recorder for the stereo master tape or disc.

PLEASE tell me although crude, I have it.

You got it, Buckie!

Just remember, if your are using the doubled buss outs to feed the 38's ins, 1 - 4 is 1 - 4 on the 38 and 1 =5, 2 = 6, 3 = 7 and 4 = 8 for the doubled buss out jacks going into the ins on the 38.

Now, get busy and start making some noise!

I got it?

Wait, you mean I got it....Me??

HEY EVERYONE, I GOT IT!!!!!!
WOO HOO!

(Ok NOW you can admit you were lying and tell me I'll NEVER get it. :) )

Now I need to go buy a new round of RCA to RCA cables.
(Good thing I didn't buy sixteen RCA to 1/4 ones! )
I have two RCA x 8 snakes (Or whatever), but some of the cables are trashed. You think it's worth it to buy two more or just go with single cables?

(I can't believe that (for the time being at least) I can ask about JUST cables and not about routing!! Bless you Ghost!!!)

CUBS

Getting the 8x snake-type RCA cables is best for most to-from hookups,...

because it does keep the wiring-clutter down.;)

Billy, you're making good, positive steps. Keep it up.;)

Thanks Reel.

Poor Ghost has been painting it into my head over and over and bless em' for it.

A big part where either I was going to lose the rest of my sanity OR figure it out came down to your post on engaging the 'Line In' without a cable to get back over to the EQ...
(Glad you said it man thanks.)

IF I truely have it right, then I can very much see how my linear sense of try to think through the signal path was in fact helping to undermine my understanding of it... I'm hoping (Praying really) that once I apply the very basic understanding of it and hook everything up that all the other "Entrances and Exits" will appear as additional logical features.

I hope my bumbling will maybe help Herm get a better grasp on the things he's unclear with on his board too.

GO CUBS

Poor Ghost has been painting it into my head over and over and bless em' for it.

Not to worry! I am fine with helping you or anybody out who has a desire to learn the old school methods of analog tracking.

With a little bit of practice as apposed to theory, it will all start to make sense and become second nature to you. And, once you see the routing in your mind actually working in reality it will give you an even better appreciation for the true luxury of well engineered mixing that analog gives you at a modest price.

Once you see what your mixer can do with not a single drop down menu or sub-parameter, as digital often sticks the user with, you will appreciate what you have there, all the more!

Analog puts the whole picture right in front of you in 5 x 5 resolution and that's no small accomplishment or one digital can do for you at 100 times the price.

I can dig it!!

I can now see (with the proof right in front me!) just how absurd or plain crazy it would have been to kill myself trying to afford a new board with these features and how misguied, misled or simply wrong I would have to have been to believe a new "Incredible plastic Wonder Pro 5000" could actually deliver the quality and feature set for the same price as I got this 312 for. ($300.00)

I mean, this stuff was (And to some small degree that I've seen online STILL IS) in "Real" small commercial studios!
In the scheme of things, I'd think it's capable of doing just about anything (If not more, easier and/or cleaner than) the new boards in todays micro commercial studios, but at a fraction of the cost!

If I didn't have it in front of me I couldn't really believe it, but it's here and it's mine and I KNOW this stuff has GOT TO BE the best kept secret and/or the last unchartered frontier in used analog recording gear.

I'm a believer.

CUBS NOW

Last edited:
Almost there almost there.

I'm now attempting to understand the non channel portion of the rear panel, but not all at once...
Many thanks go out to any and all of you guys that wish to give it a whirl.

TRUE OR FALSE:
(1.) There are in fact two stereo main outs (RCA) that are one of the greatest things since sliced bread? (Great IMO because you could feed two mixdown units or more over, a combination of any two mixdown formats at the same time and still have your XLR Main Outs if you wanted them.)

(2.) I do not have to even concern myself with any of the Sub In section, unless/until (Like Ghost) I someday wish to cascade boards?

(3.) IF in fact my understanding of a previous post is correct, THEN TRUE OR FALSE: WITHOUT using the DX-4D units, the "Pairings" from the 312's RCA PGM Out "Sections" to the 38's In's would be as follows: (Odd: 1 >1-5) Even: 2> 2-6 (Odd: 3> 3-7) Even: 4> 4-8?

(4.) In keeping with the connections mentioned in #3, then True or False: Introducing the two DX-4D units will simply be a matter of (For example) seeing that 1 is on unit A and 5 is on unit B?

MULTIPLE CHOICE:
(5.) If I had no cables at all, but wanted to complete the functional "Loop" between 38, (2) DX-4D units and the M312b
I will need:
A. 16 (dual mono) RCA cables?
B. 32 (dual mono) RCA cables?
C. No cables, just use the force.

ESSAY/DISCUSSION:
(6).Please discuss in detail how I would add my meager (But which I like alot) Alesis Nanoverb (Stereo & Mono) or ANY effect, because it simply isn't apparent to me.

(7.) At mixdown when the tapes signals will be routed back through the channels, can I insert my compressor on just one tracks signal before It's sent over to the 4 "Buss?" area?

(As always)
Thank You Guys

Cubs rocked lastnight!

BTW-MY answers for 1-5 are ALL TRUE and Choice A.

Oh boy! A quiz!:D

1 - True. The stereo outs are provided in three flavors; -10db RCA, 0db - 1/4", & balanced, XLR connector with all three being able to be active at the same time!

2 - True.

3 - True.

4 - True.

5 - A. Provided that there are 32 actual paths. 16 to get from the 38 to the DX-D4's and 16 to get from the DX-D4's to the mixer.

6 - Feeding a verb effect is easy on the M312B. Simply feed the verb's input with a signal from the effect out jack in the master section of the rear of the mixer and turn the effects master gain pot to 7 on the knob. Place that connection into the verb's mono input.

To feed the verb signal from each channel on the mixer, adjust to taste, the effect pot on the channel strip's effect knob.

For the verb's return to the mixer, this can be done in two different ways. The traditional method is to take the stereo outputs from the verb and plug that into the effects 2 return channels in the master section and put the levels at 7 and pan one hard left and the other, hard right. This will feed the stereo buss only so that you only print reverb effects to the master stereo tape or disc.

An alternate and more flexible way of using the verb's stereo outs is to feed them to channels 9 & 10 on the mixer with the same level and pan positions as mentioned in the first method and doing it this way, will allow you to eq the verbs output and print its effects to tape, while tracking if you choose to.

The benefit of this method is that it allows you to have radically different effects being used on different instruments like a gated verb on a snare and a hall effect on a string section.

The drawback to it, is that you are permanently committing those effects to tape. Many professional 24 track and beyond type studios, use this method but the print the effect to a spare channel so they can still goof around with it afterwords. On an eight track, you don't have that same level of luxury so, hence the warning to basically only use this method if you are dead sure about the effect you want to have. You must also remember not to use the effect send's controls on the returning channels or else you will create a feedback loop!

7- That depends on what the project demands. Generally, it's best to use compression when you are tracking and that way you have less to deal with during mix-down and as well, it leaved the compressor free to either be re-applied to a troublesome track or to the stereo buss if all else is OK and there you can tame the entire mix for the desired medium of mix-down.

Did I win a prize!?

Back