The ATR & RMG Challenge

dodgeaspen

Since early summer I have been dogging RMG for producing bad tape for my Tascam 38. I bought the first reel in November of 08 when I was getting my deck worked on. The tech noted on my receipt that the tape was shedding after a few hundred feet of use and was no good. I called RMG and was asked to provide pics of my heads and transport system. After reviewing the pics and obtaining a copy of my service receipt and talking to the service tech RMG decided to replace the reel I bought with another reel with a different batch number. The second reel came and was better but still left a lot of residue on the heads ETC. So with two bad experiences under my belt I started dealing with ATR Magnetics for my tape needs with no trouble. After posting on a lot of threads I was issued a challenge by Lo fi Love. He was willing to send me a brand new reel to try out with the understanding I'd in turn be willing to post the pics of the heads before and after using the new tape. I took the challenge. Long story short, I used it last week to track a few songs and was amazed on how clean the reel was after tracking and replaying several times. The sound quality was very impressive. In conclusion, I am now becoming a fan of RMG and will buy their product and recommend their tape to thoes who ask for recommendations. Thanks again Lo fi for covering all the cost to prove that RMG sells a good product. I'll be posting pics soon.

I commend you for your objectivity but ya need to work on your photos!:eek::D;)

Use the "macro" mode, if you have one. :) What is the model of camera that you own?

I'm wondering if the 2 bad reels of RMG tape came from the same distribution center or something similar. Would make sense if the 2 different batches were both subjected to high humidity or the like.

Glad you are coming around to the RMG side as well. I don't have anything against ATR (never used their products, basically because I can't) but all the 1/4" and 1/2" RMG I've used has been flawless.;)

I commend you for your objectivity but ya need to work on your photos!:eek::D;)

Use the "macro" mode, if you have one. :) What is the model of camera that you own?

I know. I've never been able to take good pics. The camera is a Cannon Power Shot A560. It does have the macro option, but I guess I didn't use it.

I'm wondering if the 2 bad reels of RMG tape came from the same distribution center or something similar. Would make sense if the 2 different batches were both subjected to high humidity or the like.

Glad you are coming around to the RMG side as well. I don't have anything against ATR (never used their products, basically because I can't) but all the 1/4" and 1/2" RMG I've used has been flawless.;)

That's a good point. I still have the batch numbers but I don't know where they came from. It was really nice for Lo fi to spend that kind of money on someone he doesn't know except for the forum. Maybe he'll need something of me one day.

I'm glad to hear RMG is making better quality product. I got a couple bad reels of it with my Ampex. It was pretty messy too. They issue the MRLs on it now. Two of which I bought a few years back. I expect if I have a problem with those MRL will reimburse.

It really sucks when things don't go as planned but I think it's all good now. And cjacek couldn't be more right, I'll pass the good deeds on when I can.:D I really do appreciate the people on this forum, I consider some here my friends. You guys rock. :D:D:D

Ed, I sincerely commend you for "putting your money where your mouth is" and not nly accepting the challenge but posting your honest and contrary impressions (contrary to your former opinion). Very decent of you, and kudos to Jeff for fronting the tape. This is cool.

Back