12 track old school Studio Mixing Board

Shoulderpain

What do I have here? I found it at a yard sale.

Can I use it for recording and mixing on my computer and if so, how?

I really appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• mixing console 001.jpg
    mixing console 001.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 398
  • mixing console 002.jpg
    mixing console 002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 374
What IS that???!!!?!?

MAN I wish I could tell you...!

But I look forward to finding out. It appears to be a Tascam or Teac broadcast console.

PLEASE PUT UP MORE PICTURES...A CHANNEL STRIP, THE CONNECTIONS ON THE BACK...SHOULD BE A LABEL WITH THE MODEL NUMBER ON THE BACK. :D:D:D:D:D

Man, that's cool...4 band sweep eq...looks like tons of inline routing options...how much do you pay for it?

It does say "Teac"

Here are some more pictures:

On the back there is a multi socketed place for a power supply cord... that is missing.

Attachments

• mixing console 003.jpg
    mixing console 003.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 356
  • mixing console 004.jpg
    mixing console 004.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 355
A few more pictures

This is the back of the console

Attachments

• mixing console 005.jpg
    mixing console 005.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 354
  • mixing console 006.jpg
    mixing console 006.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 351
:eek: Awesome! You've got to tell us how much it cost you. Yep, definitely a Teac board. You could use it to record, assuming your computer has an interface with one output for every input.

What kind of computer interface would you buy for it?

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

What kind of computer interface would you buy for it that has all of the inputs and outputs? Forgive my complete lack of knowledge, but is Teac considered good? What advantages do I get plugging my instruments through a Teac board and then interfacing from there with the computer?

Also, how much do you think it is worth?

The power connector on the back is not original I don't think. I bet it used to be a Hirose connector. That's a molex...it is supposed to attach to a rackmount power supply that puts out all the different power rails...without that power supply the board will not function.

Just because the VU meters say Teac does not mean it is a Teac branded board. Look for the label on the back with the serial number and UL sticker.

What did you pay for it?

It looks like its in rough condition...like it has been stored in a moist environment, so while the sound quality would be good back in the day, who knows how well it is working now. Its an unknown until you can power it up, but you won't be able to do that until you can either find or build the power supply for it.

Lots of different interfaces for computer. Depends on your budget and how many simultaneous channels you need.

Definitely a nice find! I would say that if it's working properly would be a great recording board - the 'control room out' connections would seem to indicate it was designed ot be a studio board rather than a Live board.

AK

I was wondering...

... if it was a Frankensteined board from the 70's.

It was free. Really nice guy. When we got to the yard sale he asked if there was anything in particular we were looking for and I said, "well, I'm building my first home recording studio" and he said, "I got something for you." He and his friend came out with it and placed in the back of my truck. It is VERY heavy.

He said it worked great but he lost the power supply. He had been away from that house for many years.

Free is a good price, but that is kinda what its worth without the power supply.

Definitely not a live board (not that it couldn't be used that way...) but I thought broadcast due to the lack of subgroups, and it is around the era of the M-500 series which were geared for recording.

The power supply I am missing is called a Molex?

Also, do you think I could get the missing power supply through Teac? I sent their parts center an email with pictures of it.

No...Molex is the connector type that has been retro-fitted to the back of the mixer...I will be VERY shocked if Tascam has the power supplies...they don't even carry the cable parts anymore.

Read my Tascam M520 Story thread for a similar tale...its a labor of love and respect...

If you can post up the model of the board via the label on the back I can probably give you a really good educated guess on the Power supply model number.

So...

do you think it is still under warranty?

Heh heh.

I'm going to try to return it to Costco. :)

I looked it over and the only spot where there had been a serial number was a taped over hand written number that has been torn in half with half or more missing.

I have been googling everything Teah, analog and console related to try to find something similar and have had no luck. Is there an image database of Teac's products?

There is a history of Tascam/Teac products...I'll have to link it later. Mabe when I review it might have your model number and it might jog my memory, but I have never seen a board like yours which is why I'm so excited...its new to me. I've been a Tascam enthusiast/user for a number of years, and I'm a gear-hound...like to know about all the different products made and such. There would normall be a model number on the face of the meter bridge...anything? Like on the left face of the meter bridge?

Thanks, man

Left of the meter bridge... nothing. The meter bridge flips up and it's pretty cool how each channel is like a cartridge placed in there so that they could make boards of any size.

The particle board they used back then was probably a new product. If it was replaced it would look pretty classy.

I'll open up the bottom of it and photograph the insides, maybe that will offer up some clues, but I'll do that a bit later.

Thanks, again. :)

sweetbeats - check out what KineticSound said about it:

I asked a similar question in the "Newbies" section and got an interesting response:

"KineticSound:

What a cool find. Someone who mentioned it looked like an old broadcast board was exactly right. I remember seeing consoles like this at my father's TV station when I was a kid. Most of those were TEAC boards that had pretty good mic pre's in them - but understand that this board was probably not designed to do much other than amplify and mix voices for radio and/or television broadcast. Can't say if it would do any good as a direct box, etc.

It won't convert analog to digital, of course - digital wasn't in the broadcast vocabulary when this thing was made. But you could use the preamps in it (if you can get it working, that is) as a front-end to an A/D converter.

From what I remember of these units, they had notoriously noisy pots, so you might want to have a AV repair shop have a look at it and clean the pans, eqs, sends, faders, etc. and check the signal flow of the preamps."

Huh!

Well, maybe I'm swinging toward it being a Teac-branded board...Did some research tonight and I am not aware of a Tascam board like that. I believe it to be 80's vintage and early at that...after the 15 and before the 300/500 boards.

I was looking closer at the partial channel strip shot in the first post...That's 4-band eq, but swept hi and low bands with two fully-parametric mid-bands. That's cool. The aux section is like the M-500 series...4 sends switchable in groups of two pre/post or source from a secondary input with their own mute switches.

Seriously would like to see some pics detailing the input jacks and a channel strip.

Again, I wish I could tell you what it is...Maybe Tascam will get back to you with a model number...

Please keep us posted okay?

I'm bumping this...

Somebody's got to know what the model number is of this mixer...the suspense is killing me... :eek::D:rolleyes::o

I thought I knew ALL the early Tascam consoles, having sold most of them at the time. I have never seen this before. No question that it is a Tascam product. It appears to be from the era of the 500 series, but it is totally modular rather than modular in 4 channel units. I suspect that it is a prototype of a broadcast console that never made it to market. Take a picture of one of the faders and the three buttons next to the faders. That might give a clue. It also appears to be an "in line" console rather than Tascam's normal "split" console layout.

Back