Whats a good pre-amp?

NewOrder

I want a good preamp for about $200 - $300. I don't particularly like the ART ones cuz they are small and make it awkward to store them since they're not rackmount, you have to stick them on the top. I am partial towards the Behringer Tube Ultragain because it has tubes. Let it be known, that I do realize that since it has tubes, it doesn't mean that its good. Just better, in theory, than others of that price range. So, what would you guys recommend?

Studio Projects VTB-1 is getting generally good reviews with one exception I know of. Myself, I'd say spend the $329 and get a Joemeek VC6Q. It may not be the most transparent thing in the world, but it generally sounds good, and that's what a pre needs to do.-Richie

Last edited:
Sometimes, I find the general level of ignorance around here surprizing.

D . . .

M . . .

P . . .

3 ! ! !

Look, for $200, you get two channels of this stuff. There are few values in audio that are any better. Maybe the RNC compressor . . . the Mackie mixer . . . N-Tracks software . . . the M-Audio sound card . . . the SM57 and the Oktava mc012 mics . . .

I hope some of you are following me, here.

If you don't believe me, try this: Plug a couple Marshall mxl 603's into a DMP3. Throw them over a drum kit (or on an accoustic guitar) and bang (strum) away. Tell me this doesn't sound freakin' good for like $340 total ! :D :D

Last edited:
chessrock said:
Sometimes, I find the general level of ignorance around here surprizing.

Who you callin' ig'nant homie!!??

New Order is asking a question in re to a decent pre in the $200
price range. We have all offered our opinions including your self, but remember, that's exactly what they are; our opinions!
My particular take on the TPS was it's tailored tube voicings for gits, bass acoustical instruments and vocs. Smooth and clean!
A few months ago I purchased a Meek and have just ordered a VTB-1! All fine pre's with different characteristics and being a true gear junkie, I based my purchases on actual sound auditions and A/B/C'ing with against others! I have heard the praises of the DMP and have had the chance to h-EAR its qualities which are indeed great, but please don't place my self and others in any "ig'nant category" because our preferences are different than yours. While I may not be no engineering expert, I try and pa y close attention and focus on tracking the musical performance as best as one can regardless of whatever gear one is using!
I still luv and respect U chess and your posts are informative, but kindly leave out "ignorance" !!!

Peace
Mr.Q

Hey, Q, I'm merely trying to raise the general ignorance level of the people on this board . . . (that's a personal joke that I'm sure some of you will remember) :D :D :D

Look, you don't see so much discussion on what's the best compressor for $175 or under, do you? Similarly, there shouldn't be much debate about what's the best pre for $200. It's one of those audio no-brainers. So just say dmp3 and move on already.

i LOVE the DMP3...but there are a few more good options in the 200-300 range....the VTB-1 to name one.....

Chessrock is right, the DMP3 is your best value in this price range. Excellent sound, 2 channels, XLR or line in.

ok, its French Vanilla......:D

but you have more tonal possibilities with the VTB-1.....

hell, i got a DMP2 i like alot...of course the DMP3 fixed its few bugs......but im just calling it like i see it......

jmorris[/i] [b]ART makes plenty of rack stuff!! PRO MPA used for about $250.00 tube preamp!!![/b][/quote] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by chessrock said:

Can you say . . . starved plate ? ? ? Just get yourself a fuzz box.
I own an ART PRO MPA, and while it is true that it is a starved plate design, it's not necessarily a fuzz box. Nor does it sound like "bumble bees in tin foil"
If you overdrive the amplifier, you can get unpleasent distortion, but if you use it correctly, it can and does have a very pleasant tone.
Now some of the budget ART Pre's are ....mmmm, not as good as some of their competitors at the same price point, but the PRO MPA doesn't really fit that category.
The PRO MPA is no longer my main microphone preamplifer, but it will always have a place in my rack.
I think this puppy is going for like $330 dollars now at 8th street, and for that money, it could well be a nice flavourful addition to any rack.

Mayby you need to evaluate what you are asking of this pre. If you want clean then by all means get a DMP-3. but if Its for vocals and you want color, theres alot of other choices.

The best of the starved plate designs are going to have the clearest sound with the tube off. Ive been using the BLUETUBE for a little while and Ive had really good results. better than the ART MP that Ive tried and the bellari and Dbx. I Havent heard the SP pre yet.

I suppose the RNP may worth waiting for and the price is a couple of hundred more, Personally Im toying with getting a Great river NV thing for 950.00.

Gidge said:
VTB1 = Baskin Robbins

According to some people whose opinion I happen to trust, the VTB-1 also = mackie pre + optional big muff pie. To each his own, I guess, but I'm not getting sucked in to the hype.

Back