Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Powering the SM57 microphone (PC)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Now, TCee, I had assumed (and I think others did?) that you already HAD the SM57 and were looking for a suitable means to record with it? If you presently have nothing and are starting from scratch it might be best to back up a bit and tell us your exact reasons and proposed working mode for these recordings?
    Questions arise such as..

Quality: Do you want a finished product to a good "professional" standard in terms of noise levels, equip,emt and surroundings or is this just for "fun" and you can live with a bit of hiss and "noises off"?

Type of vocal work: Speech of a straight "reading instructions" style or a bit more "thespian" with sections of low levels?

Now, a good capacitor mic and a modest AI will give you a very low noise floor but you will find it impossible to keep noises out and IF you want a "pro" result you will need to spend a LONG time editing and re doing phrases.

What other kit do you have or expect to have? Monitor speakers, headphones?

If you want an off the wall reccy? Rode LDC and a Focusrite 2i4. Sennheiser or AKG headphones.

Pop shields? Most mics come with something or you can make one.

Dave.
    Sorry for misleading you, I do currently not own a microphone.

This is definitely more of a "fun" project, however, I still want a clean sound. If there is interference that is barely noticeable unless I focus on it, all should be fine. The use is for commentary, specifically video game related. It may also be used for podcasts and singing in the future. Processing the audio after a recording is ideal in some cases, but I would also like to use the mic "live" when having a chat with friends (daily).

I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones which I want to be able to use more frequently, to do that, I need a new microphone so I can replace my HyperX Cloud II headset completely. This is yet another reason for a mic investment.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Rob, with the greatest respect, the "Presidential" use of a 57 is not comparable to home (or studio) recording.

First off, politicians know how to project, they LOVE the sound of their own voice even if, ESPECIALLY when talking bollocks. The mics are used for sound reinforcement, not rock band PA. I have used Reslo ribbons for that job at AGMs and such and even a foot from the speaker they are fine despite being at least 6dB colder than a dynamic.

Lastly, I bet if you were to put a presidential address through the wringer you would find the signal to noise ratio pretty appalling?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TCee View Post
    Sorry for misleading you, I do currently not own a microphone.

This is definitely more of a "fun" project, however, I still want a clean sound. If there is interference that is barely noticeable unless I focus on it, all should be fine. The use is for commentary, specifically video game related. It may also be used for podcasts and singing in the future. Processing the audio after a recording is ideal in some cases, but I would also like to use the mic "live" when having a chat with friends (daily).

I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones which I want to be able to use more frequently, to do that, I need a new microphone so I can replace my HyperX Cloud II headset completely. This is yet another reason for a mic investment.
    I didn't want to send you down another [microphone] rabbithole, but just wanted to make sure you understood that it's not the mic that's the determinant "in general" but the way it's used. For voice work, dynamics are popular, but it's that typical close-to-the mic usage, and, honestly, their ruggedness and relatively low cost, that make them popular. And, of course, they sound fine on the human voice, which is not going to test the limits of any [decent] microphone's range.

The downside is that gain thing, esp. with your bargain price point for an interface, coupled with a far-from-ideal space, you're into a world of compromises, and deciding the "best" path is difficult. But, unless you're going to be videotaping yourself talking and object to a mic right in your face, the SM58 is a fair option because it's get slightly better sensitivity than the 57 and already has a built-in pop filter. And, you can get a bag of foam screens for like a buck on eBay if you want to add extra pop/wind dampening. You'll just want to use it relatively close to your mouth for the best signal/noise ratio, which will minimize the room's faults to some degree, but it won't eliminate them.

I'd look at an interface with 2 mic preamps, just because it's going to let you test things, or need a 2nd mic for many different scenarios (even easy A/B testing of other mics). The bargain priced Behringer U-phoria line seem to be getting decent reviews, and something like the 204HD will work, based on this video:
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I didn't want to send you down another [microphone] rabbithole, but just wanted to make sure you understood that it's not the mic that's the determinant "in general" but the way it's used. For voice work, dynamics are popular, but it's that typical close-to-the mic usage, and, honestly, their ruggedness and relatively low cost, that make them popular. And, of course, they sound fine on the human voice, which is not going to test the limits of any [decent] microphone's range.

The downside is that gain thing, esp. with your bargain price point for an interface, coupled with a far-from-ideal space, you're into a world of compromises, and deciding the "best" path is difficult. But, unless you're going to be videotaping yourself talking and object to a mic right in your face, the SM58 is a fair option because it's get slightly better sensitivity than the 57 and already has a built-in pop filter. And, you can get a bag of foam screens for like a buck on eBay if you want to add extra pop/wind dampening. You'll just want to use it relatively close to your mouth for the best signal/noise ratio, which will minimize the room's faults to some degree, but it won't eliminate them.

I'd look at an interface with 2 mic preamps, just because it's going to let you test things, or need a 2nd mic for many different scenarios (even easy A/B testing of other mics). The bargain priced Behringer U-phoria line seem to be getting decent reviews, and something like the 204HD will work, based on this video:
    I've heard mostly negative about Behringer products, but I might check them out.

I'd say that the insight I've gotten from you guys is enough for me to make a decision on what to get... after some more product research of course. Thanks for helping me out!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    The guy on YT was running way too hot, touching 0dBfs at times so in the screen grab below I have pulled the level back to an average of -18dBfs. Sod's law prevails and the instant I hit prnt scrn it dipped below -20!

His shutted up noise floor was around -70dBfs after correcting the level which rather better than Dolby B cassette.

I am no great fan of Behringer but it cannot be denied that they make some remarkably good kit at stupid prices. I think at least one member here has a UM something?

Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sm58-berry-ai-yt-png  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There's a lot of sound going on both inside and outside of my house, such mics would likely pick it up much easier as my room isn't soundproof or "foamed up".
    You won't make an existing room in a home 'soundproof' unless you have a very large room (to start with) and wallet. What you do want to do is cut down the crappy acoustics - slapback echo, boxiness. Outside noise - if you can hear it clearly inside, a mic will pick it up. If its low volume, and you keep the gain down on the mic, maybe not.
    For goodness sake, do not buy 'acoustic foam'.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    agree sm58 . more bang for your bucks.

Thanks
    I've heard mostly negative about Behringer products, but I might check them out.

I'd say that the insight I've gotten from you guys is enough for me to make a decision on what to get... after some more product research of course. Thanks for helping me out!
    I've been using a Behringer UMC204HD since it first came out. It gets a lot of use, and not one problem so far. I run 57's, 58's, several different condensers, line in bass, and guitars, and keys at times. It runs on both my pc and my mac just fine. As far as I'm concerned it a solid piece of gear that does a very good job considering the price. For voice overs , and gaming. I like the MXLBCD-1 Microphone. It's not quite as good as an RE20 but, for the price it's getting close.

Thanks

They get badmouthed a lot. Yes there used to be some DOA or early fail problems, but if it worked then it worked well.

Our last church used a behringer board a DJ donated to them used. It worked just fine.

And since behringer got bought their quality has gone up. Just saw a touring group using the mx32 digital mixer for their evening at our new church. Worked well. Too loud was my only complaint with them.

Thread Information