Acoustic Guitar Mics... Any Thought? (No Large Diaphragms)

As you can see, the SDC is actually more directional (i.e. less off axis pickup) than the LDC from the same company.

I'm sure I could find examples that go the other way if I tried--but, in my experience at least, off axis rejection is often better, not worse, on SDCs.

(FYI, I only chose the SE as an example because I happen to have some of both--and knew I could get polar patterns in the same format for both).

The SE1A is actually quite a bit different in the off axis. It's a big enough difference that I might order a couple and give em a go!
How do you like you're do they pick up good detail? are they your "go to" mics for acoustic guitars?
If you feel up to it, can you give a bit of a review on them?

Well, they're not my "go to" mics (which are AKGC451EBs). However, the AKGs were several times the price of the SE1As I have--and I only have five of them. The SE1As are close enough that I use them happily if I need to put the 451s on something else--before retiring to Aus, I was lucky to live about five minutes drive from the UK distributor for SE and was able to borrow a pair and do an A/B comparison with my 451s (and also some AKG 391s)--they were close enough and good enough that I bought them. Indeed, if I had to characterise the sound, I found them pretty close to the AKG 391 "Bluelines" if you've ever heard them.

In sound quality, they are nicely detailed--perhaps not quite has much as the 451s but darn close but manage to do this without harshness in the upper ranges which can be a concern with SDCs. SE do a matched stereo pair version of the SE1As but mine are just the standard ones--however their quality control is good enough that I've used them for X-Y stereo miking with no problems.

I've also used them live, both on guitar and as drum overheads with good results--the polar response can help in feedback rejection in live work.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Well, they're not my "go to" mics (which are AKGC451EBs). However, the AKGs were several times the price of the SE1As I have--and I only have five of them. The SE1As are close enough that I use them happily if I need to put the 451s on something else--before retiring to Aus, I was lucky to live about five minutes drive from the UK distributor for SE and was able to borrow a pair and do an A/B comparison with my 451s (and also some AKG 391s)--they were close enough and good enough that I bought them. Indeed, if I had to characterise the sound, I found them pretty close to the AKG 391 "Bluelines" if you've ever heard them.

In sound quality, they are nicely detailed--perhaps not quite has much as the 451s but darn close but manage to do this without harshness in the upper ranges which can be a concern with SDCs. SE do a matched stereo pair version of the SE1As but mine are just the standard ones--however their quality control is good enough that I've used them for X-Y stereo miking with no problems.

I've also used them live, both on guitar and as drum overheads with good results--the polar response can help in feedback rejection in live work.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

This totally helps.
I've just ordered a couple of them. They are decently priced!
We'll see how they work, when they arrive!

Back