Problem Recording 2 amps

Toker41

Better Than You
My buddy is running his Les Paul through JCM800, and Dual Rec half stacks. Sounds great panned left and right. However, lay them on top of each other (like at 12:00), and it sounds awful. Really great seperated, but really bad on top of each other. I'm thinking phasing issues, but he's not buying it, so I'd like to get some other opinions on the problem. Any ideas?

My buddy is running his Les Paul through JCM800, and Dual Rec half stacks. Sounds great panned left and right. However, lay them on top of each other (like at 12:00), and it sounds awful. Really great seperated, but really bad on top of each other. I'm thinking phasing issues, but he's not buying it, so I'd like to get some other opinions on the problem. Any ideas?

The stereo probably sounds so open and powerful that when you make it mono it appears to loose something. Try adding a slight stereo reverb to open it back up.

When you're setting up to record, make sure it sounds good in mono first. That way when you mix, you can keep them mono and they'll sound good or you can pan them out and they'll sound good.

i'd agree that there are probably phase issues. did he send the same guitar performance to two amps and record them at the same time? if not, just playing the same part over on two separate-- one through each amp might help, as would switching guitars, switching which pickup (bridge vs. neck) were used, which mics were used (57 vs. ribbon), eqing each track to be complementary to each other, etc. also if it's a situation where it was one performance routed to two amps, was there enough separation between the two amp cabs so that leakage isn't worsening any phase problems?
also, why would he want to jam up the middle of the stereo field where presumably the snare drum, vocals, keys, etc. will live if he has the option of spreading it out to the sides?

I just used 12:00 as a reference. They won't be up the middle. However, there are different guitar tracks to still go into the mix.

Yes, it was one performance through 2 amps. Great room sound, great spread out, just not so great the closer they get to each other in the panning. JCM800 is miced with a SM57, and the Boogie with a e609. The amps are side by side. I suggested adding a mic behind the Marshall cab, and/or a room mic, either ribbon or tube. We are then, however, dealing with a third track.

Can you play with shifting the phase on one of the tracks and see what the effect is? If it is a phase problem, it's as unlikely that it would sound great at 180 degrees off as it is that it would at matched phase, but at least you might get a better picture of what's going on.

i'll
bet
that
your
panning
laws
have
a
lot
to
do
with
the
problem.

sorryforthepoetrybutmyspacebardoesn'tworktoday.wtf:confused::confused::confused:

I'm not familiar with these laws; do they vary state to state?

sorry.my.spacebar.is.still.screwed.up.and.i'm.away.on.business.and.can't.fix.it.now.so.this.answer.will.be.brief.

the.panning.laws.don't.vary.state-to-state.but.they.do.vary.daw-to-daw.

the.standard.in.cubase.(if.i.remember).is.that.the.middle.of.the.stereo.field.is.cut.by.3dB.in.order.to.balance.the.level.between.a.mono.scource.and.a.stereo.source.

so.in.effect.you.are.likely.hearing.both.sources.at.3dB.quieter.and.on.top.of.that.you.are.also.hearing.a.lot.of.masking.with.both.guitars.stacked.on.top.of.one.another.

the.real.answer.is.this:

pan.them.

thisismAKINGMEANGRY!!@@@!@@@!!!$%&%!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Back