Need a couple of decent/inexpensive backup guitars...

Hi! I've got two very nice guitars (Charvel 750XL and PRS Custom 24) that I use for the two different tunings my band uses (Drop-D and Drop-C), and I need a couple of decent, yet inexpensive guitars to use as backups in case I break a string live.

I was thinking of Schecters, as they can be had used for around $300, can be easily upgraded (pickups, tuners, etc.), and generally have Tune-O-Matic bridges, which keep in tune pretty solidly.

Would anybody have any better suggestions/alternatives in the $200-400 price range?

Thirded on Rondo. I've bought an SX bass and a Douglas archtop - outstanding for the money and VERY good regardless of price, ESPECIALLY if you're gonna upgrade pickups/hardware. Some of their instruments will turn your current guitars into backups. :rolleyes:

Seconded on the Rondo for decent, cheap guitars.

Kudos to the Xaviere line. My XV750 (I think :confused:) is a perfect Strat back-up axe. And actually sounds damned good.

btw, i owned a yamaha pacifica for many years - yes, it was a nice guitar. better stock pickups (but still deserve to be replaced).

the thing is, current pacificas seem to be made of agathis, while with Rondo's SX line you can get alder or ash or mahogany (for less), plus it will be a more standard "fenda" shape, which means that you can easily get replacement parts, like pickguard, etc.

Even if they were made of alder, like my 90's pacifica, i'd go for SX right now (if i wanted a strat or a tele) - it's just a better deal and more selection.

Rondo has a fantastic customer service, excellent return policy and there's also an unaffiliated "agile guitar forum", where you can find all sorts of reviews, mods, pictures and advice.

Hmmmm.....

don't get me wrong - my yammie was VERY good. I think it was a 412 or some such (doesn't say on the guitar). It was like $250 in the mid 90's, had a translucent red finish (solid alder or ash), pristine fretboard/neck, pearloid pickguard, gold hardware, HSS. A friend of mine still has it (records with it). I only sold it because I "got" les pauls and grew tired of strats.

I honestly would buy an SX (or Agile) strat today, if i wanted one, over that yammi. I'd fully re-wire it and would change all the pickups, but I'd go with GFS - they're GOOD.

Sill, to be fair, back then Pacificas were probably the best value in the store (Sam Ash) and they probably still are today (in a store).

don't get me wrong - my yammie was VERY good. I think it was a 412 or some such (doesn't say on the guitar). It was like $250 in the mid 90's, had a translucent red finish (solid alder or ash), pristine fretboard/neck, pearloid pickguard, gold hardware, HSS. A friend of mine still has it (records with it). I only sold it because I "got" les pauls and grew tired of strats.

I honestly would buy an SX (or Agile) strat today, if i wanted one, over that yammi. I'd fully re-wire it and would change all the pickups, but I'd go with GFS - they're GOOD.

Sill, to be fair, back then Pacificas were probably the best value in the store (Sam Ash) and they probably still are today (in a store).

I'll definetely check 'em out so.

By all accounts, SX are good. The few I've played, however, would need some work to make them gig-worthy (pots and pickups).

In contrast, I'd gig a Yamaha Pacifica right out of the box. The main selling point for me is the fretwork - simply excellent. Tremelo is perfect, too.

michael kelly guitars are w/in your price range. i got one and i'm very surprised at the quality of construction. many have tonepros bridges and grover tuners stock. the fit, finish and action on the one i got is very good.

By all accounts, SX are good. The few I've played, however, would need some work to make them gig-worthy (pots and pickups).

In contrast, I'd gig a Yamaha Pacifica right out of the box. The main selling point for me is the fretwork - simply excellent. Tremelo is perfect, too.

true, by all counts. SX have gotten much more consistent lately, though.

i agree about pacificas, fretwork and better pickups, but personally i still think the pickups are worthy of an upgrade.

as to "some work" on SX, again, true, but some people actually enjoy that. you really personalize a guitar that way.

there's really almost a better selection than fender - you can have "fender-style" guitars with tremolo or with stop-tail, with singles or HSS, or dual humbuckers or P90's, you can have alder or mahogany or ash. it's great. There's also Agile strats and teles - korean-made. even better.

Take a look at your local pawn shops. You can find a decent guitars for $125 or less. Then get them set up properly. Most need a minor repair or two (broken jack wires are very common). Be carefull there's a lot of junk about. I've brought home way too many 'rescued' guitars and my wife just rolls her eyes.

I've gotten a Warlock, Predator, Fender Strat, Guild M-80, and a few othes by searching the local pawn shops.

Tony

Take a look at your local pawn shops. You can find a decent guitars for $125 or less. Then get them set up properly. Most need a minor repair or two (broken jack wires are very common). Be carefull there's a lot of junk about. I've brought home way too many 'rescued' guitars and my wife just rolls her eyes.

I've gotten a Warlock, Predator, Fender Strat, Guild M-80, and a few othes by searching the local pawn shops.

Tony
I've always thought that, now that everybody has access to eBay/Craigslist, pawn shops really don't have much in the way of deals any more...

The PRS SE imported guitars are surprisingly good. May be somewhat more familiar to you as you already play a PRS. Worth checking out.

Dont get SX guitars if you can afford Agile. Rondo deals both, both are cheap, the only difference being Agile is Gibson and SX is Epiphone.

Mike

+1 for the Agile guitars. You won't find anything close for the price they are. I love mine, wouldn't hesitate to use it as my main guitar, in fact i do sometimes.

Back