les paul custom classic

groovyisland

hay wasa
the les paul ive had my eye on went down in price by 300 dollars. i was tempted but i didnt get it.

now zzounds and ams are selling the cream color for only 1499 down from 1899 so another hundred bucks off.

i pulled the trigger :o

Yup! Very nice! I'll never get used to the color of that baked maple neck on a custom, but she's a beauty regardless.

i have nut files and and enough knowledge to be dangerous!

but the reviews ive read all say the setup is good right out of the box

Good luck with that. I got the Gold Top Delux.

The guitar wasn't set up:mad:

I got the guitar last week and haven't been able to play it. I haven't had time to take it to a guitar tech yet:mad:

ht//http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPD-LIST

Debating whether to send it back or not.

I seems to me when you spend that much money, it should come set up with no issues. Period.

You wouldn't buy a new car and have to get new tires and a tune up would you?

If you buy online without putting your hands on it first, I think it's reasonable to expect that it could potentially be a dud. Especially with Gibsons. Hopefully yours is a gem right out of the box. :)

fuzz - You wouldn't buy a new car without ever driving it or checking it out, right? Would you buy a suit without trying it on or getting it fitted? Sure a guitar should come with reasonable playability. But everyone is different and it's not a big deal to fine tune one to your liking. One size does not fit all with guitar setups.

I played like 200 Les Pauls and SG's before I picked the one I bought. I realize though that I'm fortunate to live in a big city that has everything at my fingertips. Not everyone has that luxury and I can appreciate that. Sometimes buying online is the only option. Anyway, play before you buy, and if you can't, just keep your fingers crossed.

Sure a guitar should come with reasonable playability. But everyone is different and it's not a big deal to fine tune one to your liking. One size does not fit all with guitar setups.
^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

I like my strings fairly high by most player's standards. It's unlikely a very good factory set-up would be like that.
Others like them stupid low which a factory set-up also won't be.
There is no one perfect set-up.

Plus, as Greg says, setting up a guitar is nothing.
It's basic knowledge that every player should have.

Using the car analogy ....... are you unable to change your tires? Unable to fuel the thing? Of course not. It's basic knowledge that every car driver must know.
To me set-up is just as simple.
And I've always found it to be one of the fun things about playing a guitar.
getting a beer ..... putting on some football and sitting there piddling around with the git.

I like a high action too, and a heavier set of strings than most. Good players like to dig in when required without the set up wimping out...:thumbs up:

Not to derail the thread with my own problem.....but to you more experienced guys, is a Strat trickier to set up than an SG or LP? I have a lot more trouble with my Strat than I do with either of my tune-o-matic guitars.

Not to derail the thread with my own problem.....but to you more experienced guys, is a Strat trickier to set up than an SG or LP? I have a lot more trouble with my Strat than I do with either of my tune-o-matic guitars.
yeah it is I think. The trem complicates things and strats are really fussy about pickup height also.

yeah it is I think. The trem complicates things and strats are really fussy about pickup height also.

I just can't get rid of a little fret buzz on my Strat. Maybe it needs new frets. It's pretty old now and a few of them have little grooves and flat spots.

I just can't get rid of a little fret buzz on my Strat. Maybe it needs new frets. It's pretty old now and a few of them have little grooves and flat spots.
oh ..... yeah, that's a different issue than set-up unless you simply don't have enough relief in the neck. There should be a very slight curve to the neck .... it shouldn't be perfectly straight and especially shouldn't be arched back any.
But worn frets can't really be adjusted out.
If a fret has a decent groove or flat spot it essentially makes the action too low as far as the next fret is concerned.
Sometimes a good tech can dress the frets and get rid of the buzz but if the wear is very significant you'll have to have a refret.

oh ..... yeah, that's a different issue than set-up unless you simply don't have enough relief in the neck. There should be a very slight curve to the neck .... it shouldn't be perfectly straight and especially shouldn't be arched back any.
But worn frets can't really be adjusted out.
If a fret has a decent groove or flat spot it essentially makes the action too low as far as the next fret is concerned.
Sometimes a good tech can dress the frets and get rid of the buzz but if the wear is very significant you'll have to have a refret.
I don't really know what it is. I might be doing it all wrong. I like the way it feels though. The touch is soft and light and it stays in tune very well and the intonation is pretty right on. It's just got a little buzz here and there. No dead spots or anything. The buzzing seems to be the worst down below the 5th fret on the low strings.

I don't really know what it is. I might be doing it all wrong. I like the way it feels though. The touch is soft and light and it stays in tune very well and the intonation is pretty right on. It's just got a little buzz here and there. No dead spots or anything. The buzzing seems to be the worst down below the 5th fret on the low strings.

is it a buzz that comes thru while amped or is it a buzz that you mainly hear when playing it without an amp?

Back