Playing live to a click.

Do you not think he has a point about playing live, though ? In the sense that live is looser and more open to unplanned changes of pace.
not if you have seq's coming in here and there with horn sections or parts that no one on stage is actually playing which is what he says he's gonna do.
In those cases you HAVE to play with a click ...... no way around it.

Otherwise a good drumber shouldn't need one ..... a good guitar player shouldn't need one etc. .... but if you have prerecorded parts or seq's the click is a must

I don't understand why a "click" track freaks people out so bad. It's just a guide. It doesn't "restrict" anything.

I don't understand why a "click" track freaks people out so bad. It's just a guide. It doesn't "restrict" anything.

I was wondering the same thing. Plus, with software like Ableton, it was meant for live performance. Whether everyone agrees or not, I see the computer and a new instrument.

What I would like to know is, what was the setup to get the click to the respective players? Wireless monitors?

After the hiccups with a cheap laptop setup I was thinking of doing this instead as it's much smaller and I don't have to worry about hard drives.

mp.3 player
1/8" trs to RCA
Art clean box pro
DI box
Short mic cable
Small personal headphone amp
Vic firth headphones

I like this idea because of how small it is. Downside is backup tracks will be mono (mono click is fine and preferred actually)

After the hiccups with a cheap laptop setup I was thinking of doing this instead as it's much smaller and I don't have to worry about hard drives.

mp.3 player
1/8" trs to RCA
Art clean box pro
DI box
Short mic cable
Small personal headphone amp
Vic firth headphones

I like this idea because of how small it is. Downside is backup tracks will be mono (mono click is fine and preferred actually)
for live gigs you really want everything mono most of the time so that's actually good.
In clubs NO one is sitting in the sweet spot to properly hear stereo so what happens is people sitting by the right speaker simply don't hear the left speaker and vice versa.
For the vast majority of live gigging mono is better.

for live gigs you really want everything mono most of the time so that's actually good.
In clubs NO one is sitting in the sweet spot to properly hear stereo so what happens is people sitting by the right speaker simply don't hear the left speaker and vice versa.
For the vast majority of live gigging mono is better.

I figured. A lot of places I've been to have been wired in mono anyway with the exception of a couple places in Syracuse.

I figured. A lot of places I've been to have been wired in mono anyway with the exception of a couple places in Syracuse.
to be honest, in club or restaurant settings I consider stereo to be a bad thing.
You simply end up with significant numbers of people not hearing one side of the signal.

So the unit arrived today (that art clean box pro) and this setup works excellent. I'm pretty stoked to try it on Saturday. I don't imagine I'll have any hiccups this go around.

Back