Physical limits of drummers?

Yes, to a certain extent. The &'s mean something in the sense that we're calling them &'s for a reason.

&'s to what??? Answer: To the 1,2,3,4. What are 1,2,3,4? Quarter notes. There's your tempo.

If the &'s were 1/4 notes, we wouldn't be calling them "&'s". We'd be calling them, 2 & 4. THEN, the tempo would be 320bpm.

Fuck. You just lost me. So close. So if it's just wording, then how does it matter? Why can't we call the &'s 2 and 4? The crazy way I'm counting it, the snare would be on 2 and 4. I can hear it both ways. :confused:

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. :D

The point I'm trying to make is that you determine the tempo of a song based on the 1/4 notes. 1/4 notes are the "1,2,3,4". Your bass drums are playing on the 1,2,3,4 (while your snares are playing on the "&'s" in this tune, but forget about that for now). So, in this tune, your bass drums are playing 1/4 notes. The tempo is 160bpm.

Last edited:
Stop being the drummer for a second.

When you are banging your head playing the bass part, you are banging it to the kick. That's because the kick is the tempo.

Is the kick always the tempo with 4/4 music?

No, in this song it is, because (as we all agree) the kik is playing 1,2,3,4. It's the 1,2,3,4 that's always the tempo. This song is an exception in that the drums are playing double-time (which we also all agree on). In most rock, the kik and snare are the tempo, with the kik playing 1 & 3, and the snare playing 2 & 4 (generally speaking of course).

it just makes no sense.

RoFL!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

I'll try one last time, though I sort of gave up, too.

The "1,2,3,4" is the tempo of the tune. Period.

In this tune, you yourself said the bass drum is playing on the "1,2,3,4", while the sanre is playing on the "&'s". So, for this tune, the bass drum IS the tempo.

In most tunes, the bass drum plays 1 & 3, and the snare plays 2 & 4. The 1,2,3,4 still remain the tempo of those tunes, the only difference being that the snare falls on the 2 & 4 (instead of the &'s like in your tune).

Basically, the "1,2,3,4" is the tmpo of the tune. I don't see what would make that hard to understand.

RoFL!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

I'll try one last time, though I sort of gave up, too.

The "1,2,3,4" is the tempo of the tune. Period.

In this tune, you yourself said the bass drum is playing on the "1,2,3,4", while the sanre is playing on the "&'s". So, for this tune, the bass drum IS the tempo.

In most tunes, the bass drum plays 1 & 3, and the snare plays 2 & 4. The 1,2,3,4 still remain the tempo of those tunes, the only difference being that the snare falls on the 2 & 4 (instead of the &'s like in your tune).

Basically, the "1,2,3,4" is the tmpo of the tune. I don't see what would make that hard to understand.

It's hard to understand because it can be so many different ways. It can be 1234 with the kick, or 1234 kick-snare-kick-snare.

I really don't even care anymore. It's just that if someone wants a drum track from me, I won't be able to tell em what the tempo is because I have no idea. :D

I get dumber by the day. :p

It can be 1234 with the kick, or 1234 kick-snare-kick-snare.

Exactly. Why is that confusing? Wherever you count "1,2,3,4" is the tempo of the tune. Like Farview said, stop being the drummer and worrying about whether it's a kik or a snare or whatever. Just count "1,2,3,4" and that's your tempo. You already acknowledged where the 1,2,3,4 is in this tune by stating that the snare plays the "&'s" (You didn't say the snare plays 2 & 4).

Over and out. I'm exhausted. :D

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! :D

(Godfather III)

I think my problem is that I see both ways as making perfect sense and no sense at the same time. I understand the kick on the 1234. I get that. I'm also counting it twice as fast as the rest of you with the snare on 2 and 4. So it's like I'm fighting myself. That's why I just give up.

I'm also counting it twice as fast as the rest of you with the snare on 2 and 4..

This where I get confused now. I thought you were counting it like this:

Greg said:
1 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
2 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat
3 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
4 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat

That's a quote from you. Now you're saying you're counting the snare on 2 & 4. 3 pages ago, you were counting it on the &'s, as witnessed by the above quote.

It's like watching someone chasing their tail :p

This where I get confused now. I thought you were counting it like this:

That's a quote from you. Now you're saying you're counting the snare on 2 & 4. 3 pages ago, you were counting it on the &'s, as witnessed by the above quote.

It's like watching someone chasing their tail :p

I was and usually do count like I posted in that quote. Then I was told to count the intro with what I feel, and I was actually counting twice as fast. :confused: :confused:

In the intro, (the bass playing by itself) you repeat the bass line four times. Each repeat is one measure. One measure has four 1/4 notes.

What you are playing on the drums has nothing to do with what the tempo is. The phrasing of the song does.

Stop thinking about the drum part and listen to the song. Also, don't be confused with the frantic picking pattern. Listen to what the chord changes are doing.

Check out Sunny Murray

Along the line of this thread, Sunny Murray is a jazz drummer that achieved a certain amount of fame with Albert Ayler in the 1960's. His style was to rarely play the downbeat (he left that to Lewis Worrell on bass) and to play upbeat fills to ornament the music.
He was very ahead of his time and much of what he did has been copied by a lot of progressive rock drummers (without crediting poor old Sunny). It is often a bit hard to listen to, but worth a shot. It will confuse the issue further, but it will show what other things are possible.

Back