The New Tone Thread

Man, there's got to be an easier way.

Yellow Moon is one of my favorites. Right up there with Congo Square.

Huh, just added Congo Square to my set list. And a bunch of Meters and The Band stuff just got added, as well. Now I'm looking at adding some Anders Osborne and some more Eric Lindell tunes, also. I'm no where near 650 songs but I'm getting there. ;)

Bill L

I had a horrible accident today.....

I broke my fucking attenuator. :facepalm:

Dropped it, actually. Like a doofus. I was grabbing it to move it, it slipped from my hand, and bang. On the ground. It cracked the ceramic rheostat inside, so it's kaput. I ordered a new rheostat from Weber ($14) and will fix it myself. In the meantime I have no attenuator unless I can find a rheostat locally.

The timing of this sucks because I just today got my new tubes for the 50w Plexi. I was moving the attenuator to get to the Plexi to retube and bias it up. So a good thing happened, the tubes showed up, the amp is in good health again, but before I got to that, a really bad thing happened. Sucks ass!

Thankfully I have 4 other loud ass Marshalls to play with. :)

Bob: Nice little backing track there dude....MIDI is great, ain't it??? If it weren't for MIDI, I dunno if I'd even be here/recording or not...Again, good job dude....

Greg: Fuck man, that's a shitter....I know you'll get it fixed, but it still sucks...Post some gutshots of that thing when you can get around to it...

That big busted ceramic rheostat is the volume control. Crashed. Everything else seems to be okay. All the wiring and solder looks good. Now that I'm all up in this thing, it looks stupidly simple. I could build my own. I know a dorky electronics supply shop where I can get all of this stuff.

So, I should have done this already, I'm also gonna install a guitar case handle on the damn thing.

man .... that sucks greg ...... I am surprised they'll only charge 14 bucks for the replacement part so that's not too bad.

Yeah right? I was expecting to have to send it back to them and wait a million years to get it back. Only 14 bucks and I do it myself? Yes please. I should order a few more because I will probably break it again. I'm gonna go today to see if I can get one locally just to have it.

Also, this thing will not be spending any more time on top of a stack of amps and cabs. It will be a floor unit from now on.

Oh and double also, it ripped the grill cloth on my A cab on the way down. Lol. That was an eventful .5 seconds.

But no problem, a little tear don't bother me. I've been thinking of going for an old-school checker grill cloth look anyway. Like this....
rc78buvpslyiz7l6tytu.jpg

Ha, yup. Hallmark does the "official" Johnny Ramone guitars. I'm a total fanboy, but I have no interest in a Johnny guitar....unless it's THE Johnny guitar.

Rock%20n%20Roll%20Hall%20of%20Fame%202010%20225.jpg

That big busted ceramic rheostat is the volume control. Crashed. Everything else seems to be okay. All the wiring and solder looks good. Now that I'm all up in this thing, it looks stupidly simple. I could build my own. I know a dorky electronics supply shop where I can get all of this stuff.
Thanks for the pics dude, that was pretty fast....The reason I wanted to see the circuit/inside is I was curious to how hard it would be to just build one...Really doesn't look like there's that much to that make/model...I'm sure some of the different ones (Rivera, THD) might be different, but again, not really much to it...

And, I love the look of that cab, that's the style I want for my Chupacabra, only in a 2x12...

Thanks for the pics dude, that was pretty fast....The reason I wanted to see the circuit/inside is I was curious to how hard it would be to just build one...Really doesn't look like there's that much to that make/model...I'm sure some of the different ones (Rivera, THD) might be different, but again, not really much to it...

And, I love the look of that cab, that's the style I want for my Chupacabra, only in a 2x12...

An attenuator is not a complicated piece of gear at it's most basic level. It turns unwanted electrical sound signal into heat. That's pretty much it. I think they all pretty much work the same way in their own different way. Some obviously have extra features. Now that I'm digging around in this thing I can see how and why it works. It's not something I could have come up with, but I see what's going on now.

An attenuator is not a complicated piece of gear at it's most basic level. It turns unwanted electrical sound signal into heat. That's pretty much it. I think they all pretty much work the same way in their own different way. Some obviously have extra features. Now that I'm digging around in this thing I can see how and why it works. It's not something I could have come up with, but I see what's going on now.
Right, I was just curious to see what was going on inside that thing man. I'm sure something like the Fryette Power Station would be a lot more complex, but your Weber doesn't seem to have very much at all going on...

Is that Angus' guitar beside the Ramone's guitar???

---------- Update ----------

700 pages guys....:)

but where would you get that 'motor'?
Weber makes speakers so it's easy for them to fix that up but I'm not sure how easy it would be to cobble one together.

I was just thinking that I like amps and I like dogs, and I generally like big amps and big dogs more than I like little amps and little dogs. There are some kickass little amps and little dogs out there but also a bunch that are yappy and and have sour temperaments and pee on your furniture.

Back