The New Tone Thread

Since we're all stroking each other now, where the fuck has minerman been?
Yeah .... he doesn't disappear for days at a time too much.
Hope he's ok .....

I have an interesting amp/speaker idea I may fool with tonight a bit.

And chili .... just noticed you're in Austin Texas ...... that's not really Texas!
That's where ya'll send your overtly sane people.

It's like the enclave when Berlin was blockaded all around and the free world had to fly in supplies!

:laughings:

Bob, I hope you find the right path. I totally understand getting jaded and disheartened with what you do for a living. It happens to me every once in a while, and I've only been in my career for 16 years. Take a sabbatical, take a breather...a little space to let you appreciate those things that brought you into your career in the first place. You've led a career path that pretty much anyone who's ever picked up an instrument or microphone would envy. But it's a job, and jobs wear on the human soul. Sell a few amps and go on a vacation :)

Yeah .... he doesn't disappear for days at a time too much.
Hope he's ok .....

I have an interesting amp/speaker idea I may fool with tonight a bit.

And chili .... just noticed you're in Austin Texas ...... that's not really Texas!
That's where ya'll send your overtly sane people.

It's like the enclave when Berlin was blockaded all around and the free world had to fly in supplies!

:laughings:

Maybe you haven't been to austin in a while? Except for chili, austin is shit!

isn't that music-central these days?

Uh, I guess, sort of. If you're into "Texas" music and look like Jared Leto. There are a lot of Mumford and Sons wannabes. Lots of indie hipsters and acoustic girls. Everyone there is trying to capitalize on the anything-other-than-rock trend. And of course, there's no shortage of Texas Blues and Jazz. I just never bought into it. It seems very contrived to me. It's not as organic as say New Orleans or Memphis or Chicago.

I've never been to Austin.

Actually, despite being a louisiana boy my Texas experience has been kinda odd and limited.
In the early 70's (which , of course, was a WAY different time anyway) I played a bunch in Victoria Texas with one of the Tommy Dorsey orchestras and I also played down in McAllen behind a comedian named Paul Salos whose claim to fame was being the cook on the chuck wagon for Rawhide.

And I have very good friends who live in Trinidad ..... so the only places I know anything about are from many decades ago and they weren't the usual places in Texas everyone talks about.

I just sorta had an image of Austin as being cool.

I've never been to Austin.

Actually, despite being a louisiana boy my Texas experience has been kinda odd and limited.
In the early 70's (which , of course, was a WAY different time anyway) I played a bunch in Victoria Texas with one of the Tommy Dorsey orchestras and I also played down in McAllen behind a comedian named Paul Salos whose claim to fame was being the cook on the chuck wagon for Rawhide.

And I have very good friends who live in Trinidad ..... so the only places I know anything about are from many decades ago and they weren't the usual places in Texas everyone talks about.

I just sorta had an image of Austin as being cool.

I think it probably is cool to an outsider. It's a great city. I just think it's musical reputation is a little overblown. Most of us outside of Austin don't see what the big deal is. It has nice geography and a zoned nightlife area. I guess that's the draw. Most cities have an area of centralized hot spots, so Austin is nothing special in that regard. I prefer Dallas's Deep Ellum myself. Houston doesn't have that though. Houston is spread out over a billion square miles and no one leaves their little pockets for anything. Now I'm not saying Houston is better, because musically Houston sucks steaming piles of shit. But one thing I will say for Houston is that the bands here are real. Really bad, really dumb, sometimes really good, but they're here because they want to be here. They didn't run off to Dallas or Austin to be cool. No one comes here either though. Lol. Even touring bands will hit Dallas, Austin, Amarillo, even fucking El Paso, but skip Houston all together.

So Chili's in Austin? I have a cousin in Austin that I've been wanting to visit. Maybe I'll make it a twofer, Thought I might try to catch a Jaimee Harris show, too. Of course with my luck, they'll both be out of town then.

I know, I was just wondering if that was the next big event for up and comer wannabes.

I'm not really sure, but I don't think Burning Man has a big musical presence. Maybe they do. I don't know. I thought it was more for random basement dwelling cult weirdos.

I'm not really sure, but I don't think Burning Man has a big musical presence. Maybe they do. I don't know. I thought it was more for random basement dwelling weirdos.
it's more of an art thing ..... and they do a lot of art cars and moving sculptures and such.
As much as you hate hippies I know you appreciate creative stuff and some of the large lighted sculpture and cars and such are awesome. lemme see if I can find one real quick:

Ah, here we go .... it blows flames out of it's antennae

Attachments

• snail car.jpg
    snail car.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 15
Lol. Yeah I do like the stuff they do. Not enough to spend a week in a desert with those hippie weirdos, but they do neat stuff.

Back