The New Tone Thread

I concur about cranking the amp up a little....actually, as loud as you possibly can dude, it makes a big difference...

And I also concur if you played it once, you can play it again....

This is not directed at JDOD, it's just in general....

I'm a little flabbergasted that people with real amps won't crank them bitches up. I know it's not always feasible or practical to blast an amp. I do get that. But if you can, why not? And I don't mean dime everything. I don't mean using full stacks. I mean, take whatever you got, and turn that bitch up.

This is not directed at JDOD, it's just in general....

I'm a little flabbergasted that people with real amps won't crank them bitches up. I know it's not always feasible or practical to blast an amp. I do get that. But if you can, why not? And I don't mean dime everything. I don't mean using full stacks. I mean, take whatever you got, and turn that bitch up.
Yep...I have finally learned I've gotta push my amp & speakers to a certain point before I can get "that" sound...Usually around 4-5 on the DSL100, & depending on which mode I'm using, anywhere from about 5 to 8 on the Chupa...

erggg ..... last night they had some scarey looking hispanic dudes from Miami took a liking to me and kept buying me shots of Patron. A LOT of shots of Patron ..... and now me and my Patron-head have to get up and go gig ....... whee! :D

Careful, man. They might have been buying you shots because they took a liking to your very expensive-looking axe.

Yeah, completely agree. It doesn't even have to be mental loud. Just loud enough to get the sound you're after.

that dirty sound of mine a few pages back wasn't very loud .... a 5 watt amp BUT: I did have the amp cranked about a little over halfway so for what it could do it was being pushed a little bit.

---------- Update ----------

Careful, man. They might have been buying you shots because they took a liking to your very expensive-looking ass.
that why I never turned my back towards them

Ok guys, just fucking around as usual, but trying to keep our thread goin', here's a couple tones I recorded today.....I'll say first, they sound really similar, and it actually surprised me, maybe it's just the way I dial the amps in to where I think it sounds best in the room, then do the mic thing, dunno, but again, these sound almost alike....

I had the '57 on the G12H with a half-assed off-axis thing, & it seemed to have worked out fairly well. I still need to dial both the amp/mic in a little better, but this is one of my first attempts at the off-axis thing....

LP > DSL100 > G12H > SM57 (raw track, nothing added in the daw)
100w mode
OD2
Resonance: 5
Presence: 10
Bass: 5.5
Middle: 4.5
Treble: 5
Volume: 3
Gain: 4
Mid-Shift: Off

DSL100

LP > Chupacabra > G12H > SM57 (raw track, nothing added in the daw)
Resonance: 3
Presence: 3
Bass: 5
Middle: 5
Treble: 4
Master: 8
Gain 2: 6
Gain 1: 5
Era: Modern
Bright 2: C
Bright 1: R
Focus: off

Chupacabra

The Chupa has just a hair more low/low-mids here, but I think either/or would work in a mix...Again, just fuckin' around....First time I've even picked up my guitar in almost a week...

Got a question for the Gerg too...Do one of your 4x12's have a V30 / T75 x-pattern??? Just curious, as I've been offered a couple new V30's for a really good price & may pick 'em up...

And while I'm at it, what's your (everybody for that matter) take on a 2x12 vs a 4x12 for recording??? Would the 4x12 automatically sound bigger simply because it's a bigger cab, or would it really make that much difference close-mic'd??? The Randall 1x12 I have is alright, but the OrangePPC112 in my opinion sucks balls, I never could get it to sound worth a fuck, but, that was a pretty good while back, & I was using the little amps then too...Lemme know about the 2x12 vs 4x12 thing....

Can't listen right now, but I'll answer your questions with my own experiences.

1) Yes, I do have a V30/75 x-pattern, and I'm not crazy about it. The V30s TOTALLY overpower the 75s, but for recording it's no big deal. I never use this particular cab live so it's no big deal to me. But the V30s do bully the 75s.

2) Most 4x12s are roughly the same size, but 2x12s can vary and their sound varies a lot. The Avatar 2x12 I had was huge for a 2x12 and sounded a lot like a 4x12. The Lopoline 2x12 my buddy had was tiny and sounded that way. So it just depends on the size of the 2x12. And I think it does matter even when close miking. Does it matter to a listener? Probably not, but if you yourself know the difference, it makes a difference. In general I think 2x12s are just fine for recording though.

Can't listen right now, but I'll answer your questions with my own experiences.
No biggie on the listen dude, just another slapped together clip, but your answers were what I was counting on....again....:D

1) Yes, I do have a V30/75 x-pattern, and I'm not crazy about it. The V30s TOTALLY overpower the 75s, but for recording it's no big deal. I never use this particular cab live so it's no big deal to me. But the V30s do bully the 75s.
I thought you had a V30/75 cab, but wasn't sure. You've got greenbacks & 65's too, but dunno how you have those in your cab(s)...No biggie, I have a real deal for a couple V30's, but they're 16ohm...I have 2 here now, but they're both 8ohm...But, the T75's I have are 16, so you can see where I was going with it...If you're not crazy about it, I probably wouldn't be either really, but one never knows unless he tries....Not sure I'm gonna spring for those speakers, but it's almost so good a deal I can't pass it up...crazy cheap man, I'll have to think about it....

2) Most 4x12s are roughly the same size, but 2x12s can vary and their sound varies a lot. The Avatar 2x12 I had was huge for a 2x12 and sounded a lot like a 4x12. The Lopoline 2x12 my buddy had was tiny and sounded that way. So it just depends on the size of the 2x12. And I think it does matter even when close miking. Does it matter to a listener? Probably not, but if you yourself know the difference, it makes a difference. In general I think 2x12s are just fine for recording though.
That's about what I figured, the bigger the cab, the bigger the sound, obviously...I've been thinking really hard on getting a 2061x style 2x12 from Sourmash, it'd probably be a good match for my Chupa both sound-wise, & cosmetically...I can't say I don't care how a cab would look, like the shitty Peavey cab I was gonna trade for...lol...but, I don't wanna get a smaller sound either, so I may just try to get another 4x12...

Speaker wise for that cab, I was thinking of putting the Greenback & the '65 in it (if/when) because those are my 2 favorite speakers overall, they just seem to work best with the Ceriatone IMO...I'm just wondering (again, if/when) what to put in the 4x12 because I've just about put a couple/few deals together to flip/trade the gear I've got up for sale/trade, & I wanna try to make sure I've got all my options weighed when that does happen...

Thanks dude....

I just like matching speakers of around the same sensitivity rating. That's where the perceived loudness comes from. Theoretically a V30 and 75 should go well together, but the V30 is so much louder by itself because it's a 100db speaker.

The Greenback/G12-65 mix is awesome! That's what's in my A cab. X-patterned. It's no surprise to me that your Chupa likes those speakers.
The Greenback/75 mix was really good too when I used it for a while.

You can definitely mix a V30 and 75, but the V30s will be significantly louder. It doesn't matter much for recording, but it matters to me for the sound of the cab.

I may hold off on those V30's man, to be honest, it's my next to last favorite, just ahead of the T-75's....I mean they all sound good, just different....

If everything goes as planned (fingers crossed....lol), I should be able to get rid of the little amps, speakers & other shit I don't use....I'll be good to go again, for a while.....:laughings:

I may hold off on those V30's man, to be honest, it's my next to last favorite, just ahead of the T-75's....I mean they all sound good, just different....

If everything goes as planned (fingers crossed....lol), I should be able to get rid of the little amps, speakers & other shit I don't use....I'll be good to go again, for a while.....:laughings:

So what kind of deals do you have working?

It took me a little while to get used to my Vintage 30s, but once I did they quickly became one of my go-to speaker choices. I'd like to get my hands on two more. I've decided I don't care for the 75s for anything anymore. They're fine live speakers, but I don't ever stick a mic on them anymore.

They sound like awesome.

I know it's hard to describe what things sound like, but could you give a comparison of them to V30s? I've already got a V30, but I wouldn't call it 'broken in'. Does breaking them in make a big difference? Also, I don't push them very hard, if at all. I run it in a Iso-cab with a 5W amp generally, unless I use the 15W Blues Jr., and even then, I don't push the amps. I just never have any alone time with them.

So what kind of deals do you have working?

It took me a little while to get used to my Vintage 30s, but once I did they quickly became one of my go-to speaker choices. I'd like to get my hands on two more. I've decided I don't care for the 75s for anything anymore. They're fine live speakers, but I don't ever stick a mic on them anymore.
Well, I've got the 1w DSL sold, I'm just waiting on the guy to paypal the $$$ to me, he's also the guy with the 2 V30's. They're crazy cheap, less than $100 each...But, that deal's only good if I knock that off the price of the DSL-1H....But, that would still leave me enough out of just the 1w amp to buy another cab, either another used 4x12 beater like I've got, or a new, unloaded one from Sourmash. I've been checking the prices between Sourmash & Avatar, and Sourmash is just a little cheaper. I'm sure the cabs are about the same build quality too, so like I say, on just this 1w deal, I've got a couple options I can play around with.

Not positive, but I think I've got the Tweaker sold locally, so that'll give me a little more $$$ to play with. A guy I know from my bar-band days is supposed to come check it out this weekend, & I'm pretty sure he'll take it. I was thinking since those V30's are 16ohm, I'd have to get 2 more 16 ohm speakers, because other than those T-75's, everything I have are 8ohm, & I could use the $$$ from the T15 to do that...

Another not positive are those T-75's I've got boxed up, so that would add a little more so I could get some shit I'll use instead of collect dust...

It's funny in a way because that shit's been on CL, this forum & a couple more with pretty much no bites until just a couple days ago, & I've had all kinds of people asking about it...Of course, there have been the low-ball CL guys, & while this gear ain't new, & I'm not really asking new prices (I think they're fair), I'm not gonna give this shit away either...So, we'll see in a couple days....

The good thing about all this trading/selling is I feel I'm really not gonna be out anything out of my pocket at the moment, the trades/sales will pay for everything, which is great for me right now, because I still haven't went back to work...

---------- Update ----------

I'd like to get a single Greenback to try in an Iso-cab, just to see what they sound like.
What kind of ISO cab do you have dude???

Well, I could hear the differences in several, but for the V30 and Greenbacks I guess I'd have to hear them side by side. I'd also want to hear them on some other kind of sound/music.

Back