The New Tone Thread

notCardio,
Value For Money clones - the only ones were Harley Benton they do quite a good sounding bass as well as as 12 string.
They don't have an outlet in Australia so I can't play around with one.
The Utub clips seem to suggest reasonable quality and sound. The NIJ 70s clones are all WAY too expensive.
The HB 6 string REALLY chimes This demo is good - you'll have to skip to 47.39 though

Alright lads,

Don't normally record covers, in fact, I can't actually remember ever recording one.

I've sorted out my mic placement and recorded a version of Another Rule; a Nirvana B-Side sometimes known as Sappy.

Its actually the quickest thing I have ever recorded - got the chord sequences under my fingers and then did it all in one take and adlibbed the solo.

This is just the clean channel of my amp going into a 57 which is about 1cm off the grill. For the distorted bits I've just clicked on the OCD on low drive.

View attachment Another Rule.mp3

that sounds pretty good.
The clean and the distorted rhythm sound good.
The solo is kinda buzzy and flat sounding to me.
Not necessarily in a bad way ..... but it sounds kinda like late 60's when bands like CS&N didn't get the big distorted sounds in their leads like say, Clapton did.

So I didn't go 'ooh' over the lead tone but everything else was quite good.

and since rayc posted some vids of guitars ....

THIS is my main guitar. This specific one ..... he shot this vid days before shipping it to me.
I don't care that much about gits anymore ..... I like all guitars and I've had so many that they've become just tools to me.

But I'd be very bummed if something happened to this one.

Very cool, steve. It's also nice that he personalizes the guitar for by doing a youtube video like that.

Very cool, steve. It's also nice that he personalizes the guitar for by doing a youtube video like that.
Yeppers .... I like that I can just show a vid of my guitar to other folks.
And he's a really small output luthier ...... this one is actually serial number 6 from him ... so at this point he was trying to make the best git he could for himself. It was a hobby that he was doing more for himself than to make a bizness out of it.
In fact ..... he got a new machinist job that keeps him so busy that I don't think he's building anymore or at least hasn't built one in several years.

that sounds pretty good.
The clean and the distorted rhythm sound good.
The solo is kinda buzzy and flat sounding to me.
Not necessarily in a bad way ..... but it sounds kinda like late 60's when bands like CS&N didn't get the big distorted sounds in their leads like say, Clapton did.

So I didn't go 'ooh' over the lead tone but everything else was quite good.

Yeah, I see what you mean - its just the same tone I used throughout - I didn't have another pedal to click for the solo!

Smart guitar, Bob... eh, Steve. Is that the bloke that built it for you?
that's the guy ..... he was/is a machinist and I knew him online here and A&A.
One day he decided "I'm gonna try and build a guitar" and then posted pics of the process as he figured out how to do it.
The next year there was a gathering of forum members in Kentucky near where he lived and I got to handle the guitar he had built.
It was SO good for being his first and I liked the idea of getting one built by a forum member and at that time he had ideas of going into business just building gits.

So I ordered one on the spot. .... Took almost a year to get it but I loved it immediately.

One day he decided "I'm gonna try and build a guitar" and then posted pics of the process as he figured out how to do it.
The next year there was a gathering of forum members in Kentucky near where he lived and I got to handle the guitar he had built.
It was SO good for being his first and I liked the idea of getting one built by a forum member and at that time he had ideas of going into business just building gits.

So I ordered one on the spot. .... Took almost a year to get it but I loved it immediately.

Cool, I'm really looking forward to getting something a bit more unique.

Cool, I'm really looking forward to getting something a bit more unique.
yeah .... it is kinda cool to have the absolute only one of these there is.

It does bear a strongish resemblance to a PRS and people come up all the time saying, "Is that a PRS?" and then once they get closer I'll see a puzzled look on their face as it becomes obvious it's not one.
Quite a conversation starter.

But, in some way I can't quite define, it's just better than any of my other gits ..... I play better and more creatively on it and did from the very beginning.

But, in some way I can't quite define, it's just better than any of my other gits ..... I play better and more creatively on it and did from the very beginning.
That's probably partly down to what it is. Cos its a special guitar you just want to play it a bit more

The back story is more awesome than the video. Cool on you for keeping it in the community as well.

What was his username here?

Boobs Metalhead guitar was my first look at P-Rails pickups and I've been intrigued ever since. I got one for my Hallmark Mosrite clone and it's great to me.

Alright lads,

Don't normally record covers, in fact, I can't actually remember ever recording one.

I've sorted out my mic placement and recorded a version of Another Rule; a Nirvana B-Side sometimes known as Sappy.

Its actually the quickest thing I have ever recorded - got the chord sequences under my fingers and then did it all in one take and adlibbed the solo.

This is just the clean channel of my amp going into a 57 which is about 1cm off the grill. For the distorted bits I've just clicked on the OCD on low drive.

View attachment 93938

I agree with Lt Boob's comments. I like that clean on the verge of a little breakup. The crunchy rhythm is okay to me, the lead tone is okay, but both of the dirty bits seem a little flat to me. There's no roundness to them. No punch or depth. It's not bad at all, but it's not wow'ing me either.

I keep saying this to everyone, but no one ever listens because I'm just a bigmouthed asshole that obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and my guitar tracks consistently suck, but here it is again - turn that fucking shit loud.

erggg ..... last night they had some scarey looking hispanic dudes from Miami took a liking to me and kept buying me shots of Patron. A LOT of shots of Patron ..... and now me and my Patron-head have to get up and go gig ....... whee! :D

I agree with Lt Boob's comments. I like that clean on the verge of a little breakup. The crunchy rhythm is okay to me, the lead tone is okay, but both of the dirty bits seem a little flat to me. There's no roundness to them. No punch or depth. It's not bad at all, but it's not wow'ing me either.

I keep saying this to everyone, but no one ever listens because I'm just a bigmouthed asshole that obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and my guitar tracks consistently suck, but here it is again - turn that fucking shit loud.
Cheers Greg, I might re record that when I get a minute. I just recorded the tone I had at that moment while I was just playing. The whole thing took me about 40 minutes including the bass and drums.

Will be a shame to lose that solo though, I quite like the note selection - think it sounds very early nirvanaish. You're right though, not enough gain.

Cheers Greg, I might re record that when I get a minute. I just recorded the tone I had at that moment while I was just playing. The whole thing took me about 40 minutes including the bass and drums.

Will be a shame to lose that solo though, I quite like the note selection - think it sounds very early nirvanaish. You're right though, not enough gain.
Just play it again. It's not magic. If you can play it once, you can play it again.

Back