The New Tone Thread

Bob: Hey man,don't be down on yourself. How many times have I told you that you're living the dream??? Sure, it could be a lot better, but, it could also be a hell of a lot worse man....I understand where you're coming from though, but again, don't be down on yourself. You've accomplished way more in your musical journey than I ever will....Keep your head up dude, remember, you're living the dream...

SXSW has become a corporate event and the whole thing has jumped the shark.

Thanks Lt Bob and Greg for the nice comments earlier. But yeah ^^This^^ is what killed Austin's originality. SXSW has sold out. When I lived in Austin in the 90's, it was great. SXSW was there for the music. To bring bands from all over the world to one place and celebrate music. It was the right attitude for the right reasons. Then some bands made it big (including a then-friend of mine) and people started coming for exposure and a shot at hitting it big. Then all the companies started cashing in on it. Then it went multi-media. Then you get guest speakers like Edward Snowden spewing his dribble via tele-conference from Moscow. :facepalm:

Even with local rates, I can't afford to buy a wristband for SXSW. and it isn't worth it.

When I first moved to Austin, you couldn't go to any bar or restaurant without live music playing, every night. It was pretty cool. And that's really what made Austin, Austin.

It's much different now.

NotCardio. Yeah, c'mon down. I can't put you up, but we can definitely meet for some beers and music.

NotCardio. Yeah, c'mon down. I can't put you up, but we can definitely meet for some beers and music.

No worries about that. If I stayed with anyone, it'd be my cousin. Would also depend a lot on whether it was just me, or me and the wife.

Got any idea how long it takes to drive from Austin to Baton Rouge?

You live in Baton Rouge?

No, my aunt and several cousins live in BR and the surrounding area. I thought before or after seeing my cousin (and Chili) in Austin, I'd go visit the rest of them.

This is all very hypothetical, btw, and somewhat down the road.

all rightey then .... some toans.

No real playing .... I had hooked some stuff up and was trying to find a few sounds.
I won't tell ya' what it is at first but it IS an amp.
Is it loud? Maybe. Maybe not.

Just thru the amp and at a minute I kick in a pedal and at 2:14 I kick the pedal off.

The recording is rudimentary .... just a DR-05 sitting on my sax case in front of the speaker.
I did what I was doing and then thought .... well, lemme stick a recording of it up so I didled a little more.

It's too soft ....... turn it up!!
:D

Attachments

• KAMPA _0507.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
ok .... so a glimpse into the isanity that is my brain. I have a busy day tomorrow and then I leave to go play with Reuben at 3 so I only have tonight to do this.
So I JUST got it in my head I want to do Yellow Moon by the Neville Brothers tomorrow. :rolleyes:

So I have to sequence the drumbs and bass tonight and, oh yeah, learn the song and words since I'll be singing it.

I do all my tracks on a Roland XP-60 ..... I won't worry about getting a note for note rendition ..... I'll just want to be able to capture the general groove of it and have a nice bed for me and Reuben to play over live ..... but it's gonna be a bear to cop a good groove ... get the drumbs ok and then a funky bass ..... it is my intent to not go to bed till I have it .... so we'll see ..... it's 12:45 right now and away I go ..... :)

HAH! Did it.
Yellow Moon by the Neville Bros.
it be's 3:45
When I do solo or duo work I carry a keyboard for backing tracks ... I don't use MP3s or wave files ... no karaoke ..... no laptop.
Everything is done in MIDI in my keyboard.
The sounds, bass ... drums .... sometimes keyboard patches , are all from the keyboard and I don't record them .... I actually set up the keyboard and use that on gigs. Theoretically if you had enough fingers you could play any of my tracks live on the keyboard.
So the bass isn't me playing a bass .... it's me playing a keyboard.
And the drumbs aren't fruity loops strung together ...... they.re me banging away on a keyboard .... at seriously reduced tempos! :D

I've included a clip of it .... for some reason the bass is WAY hotter on this than it actually is .... I just stuck the DR-05 in front of a monitor 'cause I'm tired.
So turn your bass down a bit ....
Anyways ..... this is the kind of crap I do in the middle of the night .... but hot shit, I get to sing that song tomorrow!
YAY!

I'm going to bed.

Attachments

• KAMPA _0511.mp3
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
all rightey then .... some toans.

No real playing .... I had hooked some stuff up and was trying to find a few sounds.
I won't tell ya' what it is at first but it IS an amp.
Is it loud? Maybe. Maybe not.

Just thru the amp and at a minute I kick in a pedal and at 2:14 I kick the pedal off.

The recording is rudimentary .... just a DR-05 sitting on my sax case in front of the speaker.
I did what I was doing and then thought .... well, lemme stick a recording of it up so I didled a little more.

It's too soft ....... turn it up!!
:D
Haha, dirty. I like your dirty stuff. It's got a nice raunch to it. Nice sustain when you kick that pedal on. I can tell how loud or loud it isn't. :D

HAH! Did it.
Yellow Moon by the Neville Bros.
it be's 3:45
When I do solo or duo work I carry a keyboard for backing tracks ... I don't use MP3s or wave files ... no karaoke ..... no laptop.
Everything is done in MIDI in my keyboard.
The sounds, bass ... drums .... sometimes keyboard patches , are all from the keyboard and I don't record them .... I actually set up the keyboard and use that on gigs. Theoretically if you had enough fingers you could play any of my tracks live on the keyboard.
So the bass isn't me playing a bass .... it's me playing a keyboard.
And the drumbs aren't fruity loops strung together ...... they.re me banging away on a keyboard .... at seriously reduced tempos! :D

I've included a clip of it .... for some reason the bass is WAY hotter on this than it actually is .... I just stuck the DR-05 in front of a monitor 'cause I'm tired.
So turn your bass down a bit ....
Anyways ..... this is the kind of crap I do in the middle of the night .... but hot shit, I get to sing that song tomorrow!
YAY!

I'm going to bed.

Wait a minute. Maybe I'm misunderstanding here...if that's not a recording, how you are you doing all that at one time?

Wait a minute. Maybe I'm misunderstanding here...if that's not a recording, how you are you doing all that at one time?
It's a Roland Keyboard .... an XP60 that has a sequencer built in.
And once I have the seq. done it's saved on 31/2" floppy discs ..... I have them alphabetized and on a gig I grab say, the A-B disc .... stick it in, scroll to the song I want ( about 30 per disc and my current songlist runs around 650 songs) and press play. The sequencer runs the MIDI files which trigger the keyboard to produce sounds.
It's capable of 64 'event's' at one time so you can have up to 64 sounds whether bass/snare/kick/glopckenspiel occur at one instant.
So if you had 64 fingers you could sit on that keyboard and play this live .... it's the same thing, the MIDI track is triggering the sounds same as if pressing a key was triggering the sounds.
Keyboard goes into the PA.

So when I'm programing a seq. like I did last night, I have the keyboard sitting there and the first thing I do is call up the drum set I use on my gigs.
I use the same set on ALL my gigging tracks for consistency and in general, it's the best sounding set it has.
So a different drum is assigned to each key.

First thing I did on this was an 8 bar section of bass drum. A kick that will generally run throughout the song.
Then I added hi-hat and snare and a cymbal or two.
Then I copied that 8 bars enough times to be as long as the song will be.
But it's monotonous since it's just 8 bars of the same thing over and over. Plus there are places in this song where it might need an extra measure or two for a turn-around.

So I go thru and program some fills at appropriate times and at turn-arounds and such ...... I might delete some of the drums in spots because I want a section with a different feel like you'll notice right before it fades out .... that section there is for soloing so I wanted it to be a little different. I only faded it out because none of you wants to hear an entire track of backing tracks .... but I don't use fade outs on gigs ... all my sequences have actual endings.

Then I do things like that intro part ..... and oddities where I might need an extra measure here and there so I just insert them where I want them (they're blank ) and copy other measures to them or do that measure from scratch.
That's why if you had the entire seq. you'd notice a couple of the fills are the same ..... no real reason to spend the time doing something different at each one .... even real drummers might use the same fill more than once in a song.

Then, once I had the drums I did a bass line ...... on some songs once I have a verse I'll just copy the bass for other verses ..... something like Jimmy Buffett you don't need to have a lot of variation.
Last night I actually did the bass all the way thru so it's never the exact same.

Then I didn't want it quite so minimal so I added an organ .... the organ is mixed back ...... more to fill in than to be heard.
I mix all my gigging tracks where it's mostly drums and bass and anything else is way back ..... I want people to listen to what I'm doing and not the seq. The sequence is there to allow me to play but I work very hard to distance myself from karaoke so I never do cheesy over-produced tracks with horn sections and shit.
If there's a part the song needs I try to treat things as if I'm a 3 or 4 piece band ..... how would I cover it if I only had 4 players to do it ..... forces me to have my own arrangement .... another way to not be karaoke.

I've gotten pretty good at doing drum tracks .... this took me a couple hours but it's a fairly complicated track.

And now, as I do it on gigs I'll refine it ...... I'll notice some fill feels awkward and I'll change it or maybe a cymbal needs to be louder or softer or not even there .... maybe I want a splash instead of that particular crash etc. ..... I can ever go back and decide I hit the key too hard for one bass guitar note and go in and change the velocity to bring that note more in line with the others ..... I can change notes ..... I can change snares ..... I can add and subtract stuff .... save it over the old file ....... after a while ( maybe immediately) I'll get it to where I like it and will quit tweaking it.

Got to bed about 4:30 and I had to get up to help Deb with something ...... going back to bed.

Back