The New Tone Thread

All right fellas, my new (to me) all-original vintage '65 Jazzmaster arrived yesterday. Unfortunately during transit it took a little knock to some of the solder joints inside so the electronics are a little fussy at the moment. We have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. But in the meantime I got it to cooperate long enough to hammer out a little jam without cutting out. Just drums and guitar on this one...I had to have a beat to bang away with. Drums get a little lost a couple of times...remind me to fire my drummer.

I tried hitting it about as hard as I could, but by take 3 the energy kind of fizzled a bit. Suffice it to say, this guitar was made to be hammered. The pickups are technically single coil, but to me they lean a little into P90 territory. Tons of bite. Hopefully that bite came thru on "tape" like it did in the room. I started on the neck pickup, and switched to the bridge about half way through. They're both very bitey.

Same setup you've already heard otherwise: '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue, Vintage channel...everything pretty much on 5. Ibanez TS9, with everything just under 5. '65 Jazzmaster, bone stock.

But before the clip, a little gear pr0n:
170.jpg

I ordered a 5-string bass off amazon once because I was sick of having to downtune my regular one for a lot of the songs I was covering. They shipped it right in the box that it would have come in if I'd bought it at Guitar Center, and it didn't even have any Styrofoam or bubble wrap on the inside. The body was chipped when I opened it. I was pissed. I hate having to return shit I bought over the internet.

Good luck with fixing this one. Do me a favor and post something when you get it straightened out, I want to hear that out of your Marshall.

Thanks man, I've got my fingers crossed. That sucks that the postmen played kickball with your bass!

As for my silver fox of a guitar, there are some issues related to removing a pickguard that hasn't been moved in 50 years...I'm a little afraid. But that switch has to get fixed. That's what I get for shipping an old instrument from Atlanta to Kansas City in July. Honestly, I expected worse. The guitar is still in incredible shape for an instrument that could qualify for early retirement in another 5 years. So even if it isn't truly all-original after the repair, I'm still going to have a cougar-like relationship with this thing until I die. I bet it outlives me.

Marshall clips shall be forthcoming!

The pickups are technically single coil, but to me they lean a little into P90 territory. l]
P90 are single coils .... they're just big single coils like those Jazzmaster p'ups. I think the jazz masters might be flatter with a wide coil but they're basically the smae as a P90 so it makes sense they'd sound similar.

Beautiful guitar man!!

Yup, sounds good.

Nice guitar man. Congrats. How's the wang bar? Does it stay in tune?

I wouldn't have any faith is something like that staying in tune!

Does anyone here regularly use a trem? I have a Floyd Rose on on my my guitars and have very rarely used it - probably only for novelty factor when I first got the guitar. All my other guitars have fixed bridges and I've blocked off the trem on my old strat copy.

I wouldn't have any faith is something like that staying in tune!

Does anyone here regularly use a trem? I have a Floyd Rose on on my my guitars and have very rarely used it - probably only for novelty factor when I first got the guitar. All my other guitars have fixed bridges and I've blocked off the trem on my old strat copy.

I use the trem on my Hallmark Mosrite clone, and the one time a year I grab my Strat. The Hallmark stays in tune very well when trem banging. It's range isn't very far though, and I don't dive bomb and squeal like shredtard anyway. Just little wiggles and wobbles in a surfabilly style. Works great.

My Strat used to be real bad...made worse by me trying to adjust things. I had a real tech fix it all up and it's pretty great now. It's still a Strat though so I don't play it hardly ever.

I really like the body shape in the jazzmaster but like the slightly clunkier look of the jaguar - the switches & stuff. Beinga sad, sad Elvis Costello fan made even more enarmoured of those things. He had a hard hitting trum and a penchant for low note runs that the guitar seems to have thrived on.
Your critter sounds pretty cool too! Pity about the postal service.

Do any of yall ever use, or have ever used a wireless unit? I think they're really cheesy, but dammit, I'm thinking about getting one. I hate having piles of cable around my feet when playing live, but I don't want to be tethered with a short cable either.

Do any of yall ever use, or have ever used a wireless unit? I think they're really cheesy, but dammit, I'm thinking about getting one. I hate having piles of cable around my feet when playing live, but I don't want to be tethered with a short cable either.

A mate of mine had used one live for years and he loves it. Your other option would be a coiled phone cable like Hendrix.

I don't play live, but at home I use a big fat 4m cable - its long enough that I can move around the room between amp, computer, the area where I stand to play without it ever getting in the way - just have to be careful that I don't stand on it. My headphone cable is equally long though and the two cables occasionally get tangled around eachother when I'm swapping between guitars and basses and taking headphones on and off.

A good friend of mine I do a duo with over here has started using one.
He likes it and I've heard no issues soundwise or with interference.
He does the stupid thing of walking around the area while we're playing though and I pretty much hate that.

The new units are supposed to be pretty immune to the interference problems and if anything they'll give you a wider range sound than a cord.
In fact .... some people find them a little too bright or hi-fi sounding.
I would think just tweaking your EQ would take care of that.

One thing though ..... before every gig he has to go thru setting it up .... changing the battery etc.

One thing though ..... before every gig he has to go thru setting it up .... changing the battery etc.

That's what I've heard about the lower level ones. My buddy has one that I might try to borrow, but he has to change the battery every time he uses it, which I don't understand.

That's what I've heard about the lower level ones. My buddy has one that I might try to borrow, but he has to change the battery every time he uses it, which I don't understand.
well ...... they eat batteries and you don't wanna be in the middle of awing the crowd and suddenly your glorious Marshall turns to static.

well ...... they eat batteries and you don't wanna be in the middle of awing the crowd and suddenly your glorious Marshall turns to static.

Do they eat batteries by sitting unused though? My buddy has to change his battery because he HAS to, not as precaution. He can use his wireless, it will work fine, put it away, then the next time it's dead as shit.

Do they eat batteries by sitting unused though? My buddy has to change his battery because he HAS to, not as precaution. He can use his wireless, it will work fine, put it away, then the next time it's dead as shit.
nah .... he must be leaving it on in some way ......... if they're off there should be no current draw.

Maybe it's one of those things that doesn't turn off but just goes into standby and there's still a little draw.
In that case he should go to the effort of removing the battery after playing.

nah .... he must be leaving it on in some way ......... if they're off there should be no current draw.

Maybe it's one of those things that doesn't turn off but just goes into standby and there's still a little draw.
In that case he should go to the effort of removing the battery after playing.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe it's like those buffered pedals that will kill a battery if you leave a cable plugged in. I don't know. I just thought it was odd that he had to change the battery before every gig because it was dead from the last gig. It works great though....with a fresh battery. :D

Back