The New Tone Thread

The amp/guitar combo sounds good Anti,
Hmm, it'd hurt without protection I'm sure.
The song - def. has that 80s brightness about it & prod values as well.
Not bad though.

Cock rock!!!!! I like it man, as Ray mentioned, the mix/production could be better (it is a little bright overall), but it definitely rocks....Cool man!!!!

BTW, did you happen to listen to any Dokken back in those days????

I really, really wish I'd gotten into recording way back when, it almost bit me when I was about 17, my bass player let me borrow his Fostex 4-track cassette recorder, I mainly just fucked around with it a little, then gave it back...Looking back, I could've done some cool shit, but, I didn't have any recording gear at all (other than the Fostex, no mics, mic cables), so I just basically forgot about it & tried to concentrate on the next gig, the search for the eternal buzz...
smiley-rolling-joint.gif

haha - thanks. We had some creative differences in the band :) -- I was a Sabbath fanatic turning into a Slayer fan at that point, but as a group, we were headed in the hair direction (obviously). Another problem was that I had to bus tables to pay for that amp, and the restaurant did not want me to have long hair - constant struggle. We wrote some more songs, had singer personnel issues, couldn't afford to get back into that awesome studio so we went to someone's home studio (and home recording was not what it is today, let me tell you). I left again some time after that and they replaced me with someone who could/would move the ball down the court better than me -- he was a fantastic player, as I remember, as was the guy before me. Not sure exactly what the story was after that. I think if I was more of a team player, and we were about two years earlier than we were, things could have been different (i.e., we could have opened up for quiet riot somewhere, maybe lol).

Dokken, yes. Hated them. But absolutely. And Def Leppard, Ratt, other bands I have happily forgotten.

Thanks Ray!

So anyway, that's the sound of a Kramer Pacer through a dimed JCM800 2204. And that was *before* I pulled the bright cap on the amp, which I finally did about 8 years ago. The other guitar player was probably playing a Jackson V guitar (the nice spendy ones, as they were back then), and I think he used the 100 watt JCM 800 2203

haha - thanks. We had some creative differences in the band :) -- I was a Sabbath fanatic turning into a Slayer fan at that point, but as a group, we were headed in the hair direction (obviously). Another problem was that I had to bus tables to pay for that amp, and the restaurant did not want me to have long hair - constant struggle.
Well man, at least you did get to let your ya-ya's out, during that time, I was playing in a fuckin' country/rock band, just to be able to play gigs. No shit, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, shit like that, just to be able to kick the distortion in on a few songs a night....and, I know all about the long hair dude, I started growing mine out again about 5 years ago, & have got a good start, but it's nowhere near as long as it was back in the day, my hair was almost to my waist when I was in high school, bangs & all...

We wrote some more songs, had singer personnel issues, couldn't afford to get back into that awesome studio so we went to someone's home studio (and home recording was not what it is today, let me tell you).
That band I was in wanted to go to the studio too, but we just couldn't swing the $$$, & there's only 1-2 places local that could've did anything worth a shit. We tried it at the bass player's house with a reel-to-reel, but it just ended up being a big 'ol smoke fest...I was a teenager at the time, & the rest of the guys in that band had kids my age, but being in that band was a great learning experience for me.......

Our bass player had a motorcycle crash in the mid-70's & had brain surgery, plus a couple years after that, some local guys used him as a guinea pig for some acid they were making...He's a great guy, but to say he's not all there is putting it mildly...He did actually have some pretty nice gear (pa, tape machine, amps, cabs, mics, etc), but he was (and still is AFAIK) just a fuckin' trip. You wouldn't believe some of the shit that guy's done...We all pulled up to his house one evening, ready to load the gear, & had just enough time to load/get there/set up you know, & he's out in the yard (in a pair of football pants with the thigh/knee pads) jerking the transmission out of his van. He told us he thought he could swap the transmissions out before we had to leave...We made the gig, but not with his van...:laughings:.

I left again some time after that and they replaced me with someone who could/would move the ball down the court better than me -- he was a fantastic player, as I remember, as was the guy before me. Not sure exactly what the story was after that. I think if I was more of a team player, and we were about two years earlier than we were, things could have been different (i.e., we could have opened up for quiet riot somewhere, maybe lol).
The last band I was in was a pretty big fish in a small pond here locally. But I ended up getting strung out on dope pretty bad, & just gave it all up for about 7-8 years, I didn't even pick a guitar up during that time...They found a couple guys who could play rings around me, but none of 'em were as dedicated as I was before I fell off the edge of the world, so, they pretty much hung it up except for maybe 2-3 times a year...We had a really good band at one time though, & I was actually really, really proud to say I was a part of it...I ended up going to a little studio with these guys in '98, but had no clue about recording at all. I took my Kramer Nightswan with me, & recorded my tracks with a SansAmp direct into his recording console. The cd turned out shitty I thought, but it was all our faults, the band along with the studio guy. We had a couple songs that were ok, but most of 'em sucked ass. I really had no input on that part of the cd, basically all I did were my guitar parts. Wish I knew then what I know now....

Dokken, yes. Hated them. But absolutely. And Def Leppard, Ratt, other bands I have happily forgotten.

Honestly, I loved (still do) George Lynch's guitar work, but there has never been a "singer" (I don't even consider him a singer) that his voice annoys me worse than Don Dokken, but yet, I bought all their cassettes just because of the guitar work...Most of what I was into back then (still am to a point) was like that, superb, extraordinary musicianship, but the singers usually sucked ass....lol...

Sorry about the long post here, got on a roll about Butch, the bass player....lol...That's nothing either, I could tell you guys some great, fuckin' hilarious stories about him...But even though his mind isn't right, he's a stand-up guy. He'd give you the shirt off his back, even if he didn't know you, super, super guy....but he is a crispy critter....:D

nice -- it's good to have lived through stuff like that. My getting ready for a gig story is that we got a call out of the blue to open for a national act (not quiet riot), and had about an hour to get our stuff to the place. We didn't have a truck. The singer got shifty eyed and took off. Then we found a friend with a truck and had it mostly loaded when a beat up pick up with no license plates comes barreling toward the band house - the singer is driving it and he stops suddenly in the front yard and jumps out, shiftier looking than before, and then two police cruisers come roaring up. He jumps into the house, and a couple of cops ran in after him, then dragged him out and threw him their back seat and took off. Not really knowing what to do, we finished packing and went and set up, while a band member's family worked on getting him out of jail. I remember it was about 20 minutes past when the show should have started and the crowd was really pissed, when he got dropped off and came inside and we started playing. God we sucked that night.

Evenign dudes,

Haven't had chance to really record with the new amp yet, but got 10 mins to sort my mic placement out this afternoon and quickly did this:
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/tone-test-1
While mrs was off checking the surf. Amp isn't up loud unfortunately but it sounds quite raw. I think I need to push the preamp vol up a bit and knock the gain right down.

Cheers,

JD

Oh, here's the amp settingsimage.jpg

This thing is great too.View attachment 93749
I'm sometimes using it in conjunction with my amp but it's been really handy when I'm playing late At night or early in the morning and plugging my pedalboard into a sim.

I worked out how to realtime monitor in Gearbox too. There's actually a bypass button in gearbox. I'd never noticed it before cps I'd never needed it before

Evenign dudes,

Haven't had chance to really record with the new amp yet, but got 10 mins to sort my mic placement out this afternoon and quickly did this:
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/tone-test-1
While mrs was off checking the surf. Amp isn't up loud unfortunately but it sounds quite raw. I think I need to push the preamp vol up a bit and knock the gain right down.

Cheers,

JD

I think that base tone is pretty good, but maybe hampered with a dark mic position. Where was the mic? The lead bit at the end is pretty nice.

I think that base tone is pretty good, but maybe hampered with a dark mic position. Where was the mic? The lead bit at the end is pretty nice.
Cheers Greg, I can't tell exactly where the mic is as the grill is very opaque. I think its a good start too, all I need to do for final tracking is crank the master around to 2 or 3 O'Clock. The mic is possibly a little far out on the cone.

The lead is the same amp settings, I just clicked onto the neck pickup. I literally had <10 mins to get this set up, recorded and uploaded.

Try a torch on the grill and sticking your eyes right up close. That works for me.

Haha, I love the little differences between UK english and US english.

Over here, this is a torch.
2cad71d73841c3c1781a919e6d98701a.jpg

Put that on your grill and bye bye amp. :D

But yeah, use a torch, or flashlight, to shine through the grill and see what's up. I use a little mini pocket LED light to peek through. I think a good starting point is the cap/cone seam, and go from there.

Lol. Actually, I think Blackstar was started by some ex Marshall employees. I'm not sure though.
It is. I think a few of them got a bit pissed off when JM died so started their own company making "marshallesque" amps.

Love the amp though - its so simple to use - not too many switches, options and channels on it.
Simple as sort out your EQs, balance the volumes of each channel, add a little gain how you like it on the crunch channel then control it with the master. Done.

It is. I think a few of them got a bit pissed off when JM died so started their own company making "marshallesque" amps.

Love the amp though - its so simple to use - not too many switches, options and channels on it.
Simple as sort out your EQs, balance the volumes of each channel, add a little gain how you like it on the crunch channel then control it with the master. Done.

Blackstar was around before Jim died. I think he died in 2012.

Blackstar was around before Jim died. I think he died in 2012.

Not sure, but the first line of the Blackstar wiki is "Blackstar Amplification is a UK-based manufacturer of guitar amplifiers and effects, largely made up of ex-Marshall employees."

Not sure, but the first line of the Blackstar wiki is "Blackstar Amplification is a UK-based manufacturer of guitar amplifiers and effects, largely made up of ex-Marshall employees."

Yes, but Marshall has been around since 1962. There's a big pile of ex-Marshall employees. I recall seeing them around before Jim Marshall died. The wiki page says Blackstar started doing business in the US in 2009, 3 years before Jim died.

Yes, but Marshall has been around since 1962. There's a big pile of ex-Marshall employees. I recall seeing them around before Jim Marshall died. The wiki page says Blackstar started doing business in the US in 2009, 3 years before Jim died.
Yeah, you're right and there's nothing about them being "disgruntled" as I was lead to believe and I can't find any article which suggests so now.

Back