The New Tone Thread

Bob
Thanks! I think it's about the most beautiful guitar that I can imagine. I read about the differences between the JZ single coils and P90s. I guess they're often confused just because they look so similar. These pickups were a big reason why I wanted a vintage JM...Fender has put so many different pickups in their reissues that it's hard to tell what's what. At least with an old one, you know exactly what pickups are in it. And they are glorious.

JDOD
Thanks man! A coil tap wouldn't do much good since the JM has 2 single coil pickups :)

Greg
The tremolo bar actually works very well. I only recently learned that the JM had a true floating tailpiece. The tension spring needs to be adjusted so that the trem lock slider button will do its job of preventing the trem from moving upwards. That way you have a solid "zero position" in case you break a string or want to do a drop tuning. It's gone a little out of tune when I've used it, but I think that a little lube in the nut and string tree will help that.

ray
Thanks! She's a beauty all right. I always see Costello in that moment when he stopped Less Than Zero on SNL and played Radio Radio instead...with that Jazzmaster strapped on :)

Oh and as for chewing through batteries in wireless units...can you use rechargeable batteries? Eneloop are awesome rechargeables. I think that Energizer makes rechargeable 9v batteries, although they put out less than 9v. Something like 7.4 up to 8.something volts. But if a wireless unit would work on those lower voltages, it might save a bundle for someone that gigs regularly and puts in a fresh battery each time.

Oh and as for chewing through batteries in wireless units...can you use rechargeable batteries? Eneloop are awesome rechargeables. I think that Energizer makes rechargeable 9v batteries, although they put out less than 9v. Something like 7.4 up to 8.something volts. But if a wireless unit would work on those lower voltages, it might save a bundle for someone that gigs regularly and puts in a fresh battery each time.

If he can't remember to change it before going to the gig, I doubt he'd remember to charge it after a gig!

A coil tap wouldn't do much good since the JM has 2 single coil pickups :)

Homeboy probably meant he'd want a splittable humbucker.

You could coil tap a single-coil though. Well, a regular dude couldn't, but they can be made for tapping. A tap just takes the signal from a lesser winding. It would still be single coil, just less output.

If he can't remember to change it before going to the gig, I doubt he'd remember to charge it after a gig!

It would be cool if they made them self-contained chargeable, like a phone or laptop. Like you use it, and then just stick it on a charger afterwards. Oh, and bluetooth. And wi-fi.

I wouldn't have any faith is something like that staying in tune!

Does anyone here regularly use a trem? I have a Floyd Rose on on my my guitars and have very rarely used it - probably only for novelty factor when I first got the guitar. All my other guitars have fixed bridges and I've blocked off the trem on my old strat copy.
Meant to reply earlier about your clip man, sounds pretty decent for the first time 'round....Maybe get a little more volume into the mic if/when you can, that might help a little, but it's not bad dude...

On the Floyd Rose thing, my Ibanez has one (it's actually an Edge trem, which is an Ibanez FR), & I have zero problems with mine. That guitar stays in tune pretty good, even if I abuse the living fuck out of it. That's a big reason I like FR guitars, once you lock it into tune, it usually never goes out. Every guitar I've ever had with a locking trem has been like this too...

tadpui: Nice guitar man, & nice clip. Not much into that type/style of guitar myself, but it does look & sound great man...

Homeboy probably meant he'd want a splittable humbucker.

You could coil tap a single-coil though. Well, a regular dude couldn't, but they can be made for tapping. A tap just takes the signal from a lesser winding. It would still be single coil, just less output.
Fuck knows why Greg is calling me "Homeboy" but yeah, I meant I would like a Jag with a coiltap.

Cheers, Miner. My Ibanez never goes out of tune either, it regularly hangs on its hook for a couple of months and is still perfectly in tune when I pick it up. I just don't feel that I need that trem thought - in hindsight, I never needed it!

Cheers, Miner. My Ibanez never goes out of tune either, it regularly hangs on its hook for a couple of months and is still perfectly in tune when I pick it up. I just don't feel that I need that trem thought - in hindsight, I never needed it!
Every FR guitar I've ever had stayed in tune really, really well (including Kramer & Jackson with the Ibanez guitars). While I don't use the whammy bar a lot (hardly ever to be honest), it's still nice to have even though I rarely use it...

---------- Update ----------

Don't worry about it homie.
:)

A friend of mine has a nice Charvel (as far as Charvels go) with a Floyd. I ABUSE the dogshit out of that thing. I bend it until the strings are falling off the guitar. I yank it back until it just about rips the neck off. It pops right back into perfect tune every time. It's an amazing device that enables my least favorite kind of guitar playing.

A friend of mine has a nice Charvel (as far as Charvels go) with a Floyd. I ABUSE the dogshit out of that thing. I bend it until the strings are falling off the guitar. I yank it back until it just about rips the neck off. It pops right back into perfect tune every time. It's an amazing device that enables my least favorite kind of guitar playing.
Yeah man, every Floyd equipped guitar I've ever had was like that. You could literally abuse the living fuck out of it, & it'd go back into tune every time...But just because it's there doesn't mean it should be used on every note...I rarely use mine, if ever...

Yeah man, every Floyd equipped guitar I've ever had was like that. You could literally abuse the living fuck out of it, & it'd go back into tune every time...But just because it's there doesn't mean it should be used on every note...I rarely use mine, if ever...

Yeah, my ibanez is amazing in that respect and I string it with 8s!

What up, Holmes?

If you go wireless spend the money on a real one. I have a Sennheiser rig that never failed, has awesome range and does not eat batteries. Several gigs on 2 AAs.

How much cost this? You got a model number?
The model is ew-100. I just went and looked. I'm thinking it was $400+ for the rig and I bought a second transmitter for $225 but I do not remember. Ten years ago almost now. I do know there were cheaper units out there at the time with not so good reviews, The Senns were always considered Pro-grade.

The model is ew-100. I just went and looked. I'm thinking it was $400+ for the rig and I bought a second transmitter for $225 but I do not remember. Ten years ago almost now. I do know there were cheaper units out there at the time with not so good reviews, The Senns were always considered Pro-grade.

Hmm, that's more than I wanna spend, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Back