The New Tone Thread

FWIW, I've read in all kinds of forums the Line 6 wireless systems are good Greg, but I have no actual experience with 'em myself...

Man, this would be the time to invent/come out with a wi-fi/bluetooth guitar wouldn't it???:D

Yeah, I was just pulling your chain dude...:).

From what I've read about wireless, the Line 6 stuff is really good Greg, but again, I've never used one, this is just internet/forum info, but there is a guy in the Marshall forum (that I'd actually believe...:laughings:) who plays some pretty decent size gigs, & that's what he uses IIRC....

I think my friend has the Shure BLX14 ..... it seems to be working well. I'm gonna play with him tomorrow night so I'll ask about it and battery life etc.

Alright .... talked to him tonight.

It's the BLX14 which goes everywhere for 3 bills.

I've gigged with him a dozen times or so since he got it so I've heard it in the trenches.
There's been no funny noises or cut outs or any glitches and it sounds fine.
I'm not noticing a difference in sound from when he used a cord.
I've watched him wander around 100' away from the stage ...... no issues .

Takes 2 AA batteries.
He says it's supposed to get 14 hours and he says he gets that.
Been doing at least 3 gigs on a set of batteries and these would be 4-5 hour gigs.

Damn, a wireless that runs on AA batteries. Sounds like the best option as far as batteries and battery life. Buy a pack of 4 Eneloop batteries and a charger. Charge one set while you wear out the other...I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was a gigging guy.

I can vouch for the Eneloops. I've got them in every wireless mouse, keyboard, remote control, and doohickey in the house. They hold a charge in the drawer (heck they even hold a charge on the store shelves and are charged when you bring them home). And for intermittently used devices they rock.

Well I just had to buy a new cymbal, so I think I'm gonna have to deal with the cables for a little while longer.

I also popped the HT fuse on my 50w Plexi today. Hopefully it's just some weird anomaly or a bad tube and nothing major.

Yeah man, hope all is well with the Plexi! My oldest tube amp is only 10 years old, so I'm a little terrified of what I'll go through when these amps really start aging.

Yeah man, hope all is well with the Plexi! My oldest tube amp is only 10 years old, so I'm a little terrified of what I'll go through when these amps really start aging.

Mine's a reissue from 2001. It's not an original, and I fucking stole it, so I'm not too worried about whatever might be wrong with it. I'll throw a new fuse in it tomorrow and see what happens.

Something I've been thinking about having just bought my first tube amp. My bandit is nearly 20 years old and that had been left in sheds and damp basements.

My Ampegs are 45 years old ...... they work great with no issues .

Tube amps (well built ones at least) can hold up very well.

Yup. I think sitting around unused is bad for the electrolytic caps though, right?
yes ..... they'll dry out.
I do try to turn these beasts on from time to time to keep 'e. working but my V2 head sits unused for 10 years at a timne and still works although you get some of those cap noises when it's pulled out of the closet and turned on for the first time in a while.

Well I think I found my problem - bad power tube. One of them won't light up. I put a backup set in there and all's well for the few seconds I flipped it on. I'll bias them up and see how it goes...and then order some new tubes.

Its late and I'm amp simming with headphones and a beer (while I practice my F# Locrain of course) and I realised that I haven't posted a tone from the OCD pedal yet.

The amp sim is set to a generic nice clean tone (a little too much reverb) and I am playing through the Pearly Gates bridge pickup. The OCD Drive is set at about 9:30 to 10:00 and I am just fiddling with the volume knob.View attachment OCD Test.mp3

sounds good man .... let me get this straight .... you're going from the git into the pedal into the interface?

Back