The best way to transfer the analog signal from my 244 to my computer

The conversion happens in the unit, so it's simply transferring digital data through USB. If transferring digital audio through USB changed it in some way, USB would also change spreadsheets, word documents, web sites, etc... and would be completely useless as a digital transfer device.

There was a time when USB devices were mostly very cheap and crappy sounding, but that had nothing to do with USB and it was almost 10 years ago.

I would go with the Tascam, more people use that unit and I haven't heard anything negative about it.

Oh no no no. Real time audio or video can't be compared to the other data transfer listed after the fact. USB is super great for backup drives and such.

And 10 years ago was a much better time for audio. It's today that you have too many crappy choices at price points so low they might as well be giving them away.

...and to continue on that note: there was a time when PCI interfaces were susceptible to internal buss noise from the computer. I don't know why Beck believes they are a better interface than USB, Firewire or two soup cans on a taught string.

I will say, it seems today's PCI interfaces are way more expensive, on average, than USB unit's and will maybe have better conversion and analog sections. But that is a factor of cost and not interface protocol.

Of course any interface can be designed badly, PCI or otherwise, but USB has inherent design issues and it doesn't matter if we're talking USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0. The spec has not changed.

The best days of PC-based DAWs have passed us by. Too few are willing to spend the money it takes to design and manufacture the kind of interfaces that were more common ten years ago. we're living in toyland. Home recording moves further and further away from professional standards every year.

Well, keep in mind in this forum we're used to audio caviar, so when people come in here with chicken nuggets and flaming hot Cheetos you'll get a little resistance from a few of us. I mean we go to a lot of trouble in the analog world to capture "that sound" in the first place. I just can't in good conscience endorse a $199.00 USB interface or whatever in the context of preserving an analog source, which is the only context we should be discussing digital interfaces in this forum. ;)

Real time or not, the clock is in the interface and the samples are just transferred, in order, through the USB bus. Of course, if you are trying to stream more tracks than you have bandwidth, you will run into problems. But four tracks is in no way going to tax the system.

If the OP is only will to spend a few hundred dollars on a cassette 4-track, what do you think the chances of him spending thousands to get top of the line conversion just to make a CD, or what ever he is trying to accomplish? Hell, that interface sound have the same design of signal path as his portastudio, possibly better, since it won't have a preamp, eq, etc...

I do get what you're saying, and would totally agree if he was using 2 inch, or even 1/2 inch 8 track...

Until you pointed it out, I didn't realize this was in the analog forum. (I just hit "new posts" and go down the list)Apologies if I came off like I was trying to pull someone to the dark side.

If the OP is only will to spend a few hundred dollars on a cassette 4-track, what do you think the chances of him spending thousands to get top of the line conversion just to make a CD, or what ever he is trying to accomplish? Hell, that interface sound have the same design of signal path as his portastudio, possibly better, since it won't have a preamp, eq, etc...
Hi, I just wanted to clarify my position as the OP on this thread. First off, I bought my 244 new in 1984/85 when there were no options for digital home recording, at least none that I knew about. Second, it is not that I am unwilling to spend more money or that I don't have the money, I just have a red headed barrier that I have to negotiate to spend the money on music or recording. And I am a hobbyist, I have no plans or delusions of making any money off of the material I write and record. I do it for the joy of creating and playing music. Oh, and don't worry about pulling me over to the "dark side", I would love to purchase a Tascam DP24 or 32 although I can't see me every going Darth Vader and embracing computer based recording. For me part of the enjoyment factor is having buttons to push, knobs to turn and faders to slide.

I wasn't trying to make a value judgement on your equipment. I was just pointing out that spends $2-3k on an awesome set of converters to get a production made on a 30 year old 4-track, for personal use, would probably be overkill. It would, in fact, be cheaper to just go to a studio with the great converters and pay to have it transfered.

I guess I could have said that better.

If the red headed barrier is stopping you from spending $600 or so on a tracking system, I'm sure $4000 on a set of converters is completely out of the question.

BTW, I would be willing to bet that the conversion in the DP32 is the same as in the USB box.

I wasn't trying to make a value judgement on your equipment. I was just pointing out that spends $2-3k on an awesome set of converters to get a production made on a 30 year old 4-track, for personal use, would probably be overkill. It would, in fact, be cheaper to just go to a studio with the great converters and pay to have it transfered.
I didn't really think that you were, I just wanted to make clear that as a hobbyist expensive high end equipment is a bit of an overkill. If I were doing this to make a living then I absolutely would spend the money, I would also probably be single.

My computer does have USB 3.0 though. So, in transferring 4 tracks, should any quality expect to be lost still?

I know a lot of people answered this but I think it's worth clarifying.
I don't know enough about the inherent design issues of USB to comment, but I know that you'll never hear anyone say,
"That recording is low quality; It sounds like USB to me."

It doesn't work like that. :)

Well, keep in mind in this forum we're used to audio caviar, so when people come in here with chicken nuggets and flaming hot Cheetos you'll get a little resistance from a few of us. I mean we go to a lot of trouble in the analog world to capture "that sound" in the first place. I just can't in good conscience endorse a $199.00 USB interface or whatever in the context of preserving an analog source, which is the only context we should be discussing digital interfaces in this forum. ;)

Thanks for saying this. It's nice to have a better understanding of where you're coming from. There are definitely two camps in the meadows of home recording. Those, like me, who just want to get their thoughts and ideas down and into some listenable format; and those who are striving for pristine recordings. Discouraging a new member from using a USB device just because most USB devices are cheap doesn't help them too much. Heck, they might miss out on a Lavry AD11 if they took your advice. :)

For most of us in home recording, there are many other facets to contend with before the price point or quality of an interface comes becomes a factor.

Music is a pretty serious thing for me. Definitely more than just a hobby. If I thought that it would make a discernible difference I might try to find a way to transfer by renting someone's studio equipment or something. Certainly couldn't afford buying the rest for myself. That said, the diy aspect of recording and art is one of my very favorite parts about it. So if USB does the job to the point that it is rather indistinguishable, I appreciate that it is something I can do myself. I bought that Tascam thing you guys mentioned. Haven't received it yet, but will soon. Thanks for everyone's input! gah hahahahhahahaifl

Music is a pretty serious thing for me. Definitely more than just a hobby. If I thought that it would make a discernible difference I might try to find a way to transfer by renting someone's studio equipment or something. Certainly couldn't afford buying the rest for myself. That said, the diy aspect of recording and art is one of my very favorite parts about it. So if USB does the job to the point that it is rather indistinguishable, I appreciate that it is something I can do myself. I bought that Tascam thing you guys mentioned. Haven't received it yet, but will soon. Thanks for everyone's input! gah hahahahhahahaifl

The US1800? Good/best/cost effective choice for your what you need now. Also a good choice if you wish to try computer based recording. It also comes with Cubase LE6.

Hit me up when you get it. I used to be blamed for being hired by Tascam for my promotion of the unit. lol. It just works very well for home studio level recording. Heck, almost all of the recorded band samples on my website were recorded with the 1800. I have upgraded since, but only to gain another 5% of quality and integration with Cubase and input channels.

Is there a smaller unit of similar quality to the Tascam US1800? Someone mentioned the M audio Quattro USB. Is that thing decent? I have a small desk space so the US1800 wouldn't fit.

Is there a smaller unit of similar quality to the Tascam US1800? Someone mentioned the M audio Quattro USB. Is that thing decent? I have a small desk space so the US1800 wouldn't fit.

Well, that would depend on your computer. It is a 'Legacy' device, which means it hasn't been supported as far as drivers since 2006. Nothing above Windows XP or MAC OS 10.4.10. Will it work? - maybe...

10 year old previous technology would make me say no to even trying. And I have not heard much positive feedback from users of M Audio interfaces anyway. My experience and what I have heard on these forums would would say to me that this is not something worthy to try.

Just my opinion though. The decision to save a few bucks when your ideal goal is to get the best sound for the money, I would stay away from the old stuff. Digital recording interfaces keep getting better for less money at the entry/mid level of quality. The high end gear is a different story.

How about the US-600? 4 mic inputs.

I could agree there, but there is the issue of the inputs still running through the preamps. Even my UR824's still run through the preamp section, but there is also a -26dB pad for line inputs. Plus the preamps are very clean.

I would not wish to recommend a interface that could lead to further noise from a analog source.

That looks much smaller/better for what I need. Odd design, though, with 2 inputs on the front and 2 on the back.

Jimmy69, my computer is new and runs Windows7. You think the US600 preamp would effect the sound, even if using the line aspect of it?

Any opinion on the Akia EIE?
I've seen that one mentioned other places on the net.

Any opinion on the Akia EIE?
I've seen that one mentioned other places on the net.

Good question. The unit only has 16-bit possibility, though for tape transfer, that isn't really an issue. Whether the inserts allow for direct line level input is not clear in the specs.

I cannot really give an honest opinion. The limitation to 16-bit recording would make me cringe if I were planning on recording with the interface into any modern DAW however.

I have read the 10 pages of this thread with a good solid interest. Great pieces of information that could have been laid out with just some information about what he needed to do for the tape transfer

Please forgive this criticism! I've seen similar events over at the Steinberg forums and a vintage motorcycle group years and years ago and it can become intimidating for someone asking questions. Telling someone to go read the manual or research the question is not solving any problems they have.

Everyone has an expertise. Because it is not in recording is not a reason to lambast them. Some day we may need to know something they have an answer to. Is that the answer we would want? Answer the question and move on. Ok, I'm done... Oh , peace and love...peace and love

Back