The best way to transfer the analog signal from my 244 to my computer

Ah yeah, that is what I thought.

So if that is all I need, is there a unit that does only that? Most of the units on sweetwater have built in xlrs, preamps, etc. I don't like the idea of paying for all that if I just need to send 4 tracks from the 244 into the PC. Is there a specific device you guys would recommend if I only need that function? I already have preamps and everything else I need.

Thanks.
The problem you are going to run into is getting exactly four line level inputs and nothing more will actually cost you more than getting one of the units with all the extra stuff. It costs more simply because there is more demand for the all-in-one solution. And people who want nothing more than line inputs usually want at least eight of them.

That Tascam is probably your best bet, you won't get anything cheaper that does only what you want it for.

Ah yeah, that is what I thought.

So if that is all I need, is there a unit that does only that? Most of the units on sweetwater have built in xlrs, preamps, etc. I don't like the idea of paying for all that if I just need to send 4 tracks from the 244 into the PC. Is there a specific device you guys would recommend if I only need that function? I already have preamps and everything else I need.

Thanks.

The M-audio Quattro is pretty close to that. Here's one for $60:

M Audio Quattro USB Audio Interface Mint Works Perfect | eBay

I believe the so called line inputs 1/2 run through the preamps with the 6i6. Not an actual clean line level input.

Hey, I'm trying to figure out what to get ASAP, so if anyone could tell me which would be better for transferring to computer, focusrite or tascam or whatever else, I'd really appreciate the input. How's that for a pun?

Hey, I'm trying to figure out what to get ASAP, so if anyone could tell me which would be better for transferring to computer, focusrite or tascam or whatever else, I'd really appreciate the input. How's that for a pun?

You won't get a definitive answer. I still say no to USB generally speaking unless that's your only means of interfacing. But even then I see get another computer.... IF this is not just some passing hobby for fun and you don't care about quality. If its not that big of a deal to you and you don't mind sounding as bad as everyone else, then I don't mind either. Go for it! It just makes my stuff sound better and refreshing in comparison. :)

You're just part of the darkness and my music is a warm beautiful candle... and I thank you all. :D

You won't get a definitive answer. I still say no to USB generally speaking unless that's your only means of interfacing. But even then I see get another computer.... IF this is not just some passing hobby for fun and you don't care about quality. If its not that big of a deal to you and you don't mind sounding as bad as everyone else, then I don't mind either. Go for it! It just makes my stuff sound better and refreshing in comparison. :)

You're just part of the darkness and my music is a warm beautiful candle... and I thank you all. :D
Damn it, you just blew all my candles out and broke my light bulbs too.

What is wrong with USB? How is transferring data via USB any different than firewire, PCI or Thunderbolt? Each has its own bandwidth limitations, but even the lowest bandwidth USB-1 from 10 years ago is enough to transfer four tracks. If his computer is a only a couple years old or newer, it probably has USB-3, which is has about as much bandwidth as firewire.

Well, it is a big deal to me, but I only have a laptop. This kind of comment makes me really paranoid, particularly as you are such a knowledgeable dude and all.

My computer does have USB 3.0 though. So, in transferring 4 tracks, should any quality expect to be lost still?

I believe the so called line inputs 1/2 run through the preamps with the 6i6. Not an actual clean line level input.

Does anybody know for certain that Jimmy is right here? Would the Tascam US-1800 be inherently better than the FOcusrite 6i6 for the process of transferring from 4 track to computer?

THanks for any and all responses!

Well, it is a big deal to me, but I only have a laptop. This kind of comment makes me really paranoid, particularly as you are such a knowledgeable dude and all.

My computer does have USB 3.0 though. So, in transferring 4 tracks, should any quality expect to be lost still?

Both interfaces have four line inputs.
The tascam has 4 direct ones (separate from mic pres), the 6i6 has 2 direct and 2 that are probably just a pad before the mic pres.
It's always hard to know for sure with the shared line/mic inputs, but I'd get the Tascam either way.

The fact that they use USB has no bearing on the sound quality.

Last edited:
Ha. I hated gearslutz when I tried there. And they are not friendly to cassette 4 track from what I found.

Thanks for the input! So, is what Jimmy said:

Not true? Or does that apply to the 6i6? In which case something else would be better, like the Tascam thing?

Ha. I hated gearslutz when I tried there. And they are not friendly to cassette 4 track from what I found.

Thanks for the input! So, is what Jimmy said:

Not true? Or does that apply to the 6i6? In which case something else would be better, like the Tascam thing?

Sorry, I was editing my post when you replied.
Jim's right. Thumbs up for Tascam. ;)

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate your help.

Yes, USB will give no lack in quality. To hear better A/D conversion than the Tascam, you are looking at big chunk of money. And honestly, most will not likely hear it anyway.

This is why I suggested the 1800. Even though it has more than you need, it is the least expensive way to have 4 direct line inputs. Plus, you can always sell it once you complete your task. They are quite popular. Heck, Guitar Center would likely take is back if you don't like it...

The conversion happens in the unit, so it's simply transferring digital data through USB. If transferring digital audio through USB changed it in some way, USB would also change spreadsheets, word documents, web sites, etc... and would be completely useless as a digital transfer device.

There was a time when USB devices were mostly very cheap and crappy sounding, but that had nothing to do with USB and it was almost 10 years ago.

I would go with the Tascam, more people use that unit and I haven't heard anything negative about it.

There was a time when USB devices were mostly very cheap and crappy sounding, but that had nothing to do with USB and it was almost 10 years ago.
...and to continue on that note: there was a time when PCI interfaces were susceptible to internal buss noise from the computer. I don't know why Beck believes they are a better interface than USB, Firewire or two soup cans on a taught string.

I will say, it seems today's PCI interfaces are way more expensive, on average, than USB unit's and will maybe have better conversion and analog sections. But that is a factor of cost and not interface protocol.

Tascam US1800 for the win! Just go get it.

Yep.

I used to be blamed for being paid by Tascam for promoting the interface. lol!

Even though I have moved on to another interface, it was not due to quality of the device as much as it was expandability. Most of the audio samples on my website were recorded with the Tascam unit. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Best bang for the buck by far.

Back