The best way to transfer the analog signal from my 244 to my computer

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
My question is: How do I get my recording from my Tascam 244 to my computer? I wish it wasn't necessary, but I guess there is no other way to post a recording to this site or any other site without it being digitized first.

The way that I have, in the past, transferred vinyl to cd has been to run a stereo RCA cable to stereo mini plug from my receiver into the stereo mic input on my sound card. I use Audacity to record the tracks in the computer. Is that my only option or is there a DA converter that has RCA input and USB output.

I am sure this has been answered many times in this Forum, but it is hard to sort through hundreds of threads and thousands of responses.

Here is one, there are many:

American Audio Audio Genie II USB Phono Interface

selectable for either phono input or line input. Youll be using line in.

Here is one, there are many:

American Audio Audio Genie II USB Phono Interface

selectable for either phono input or line input. Youll be using line in.

Thank you mdainsd, I will definitely look into the American Audio Audio Genie II USB Phono Interface.

i just burn all my 388 recordings to a CD using a Tascam CDR 700. Then just dump them into my computer thingy.

I have this same problem and would also like to know. If I input a played vinyl record into the RCAs of my 2x2 usb, it sounds really scratchy and thin on the DAW.

What is coming in is not what is going out.

Not to invade your thread, I think this is related enough to share. This is a clip showing the sound break up . It becomes thin and scratchy. Not Huge and spacious.

View attachment sol.mp3

I have this same problem and would also like to know. If I input a played vinyl record into the RCAs of my 2x2 usb, it sounds really scratchy and thin.

You'd need to inject a phono pre-amp in between your record player and the USB interface which would bring the phonograph's magnetic cartridge's output up to the line level and corrected RIAA eq that behaves like a normal line level device that the USB gizmo is looking for.

Or if you have a stereo amp or reciever with phono input, you can use that in its place by plugging in your record player into that first and then use the "TAPE OUT" jacks to send a signal to the USB device.

The basics of it are that phono cartridges are not line level devices and require an extra stage of amplification and EQ to get them up to line level signal.

Got the picture?

Cheers! :)

Hi Mark,
Have a read into RIAA if you haven't heard of it.

Your output might be piped out pre RIAA.

I am well aware of RIAA. But it would not be a concern as the OP is NOT transferring phonograph records, he is transferring from his cassette machine, which is also why I mentioned using the line input vrs phono in.

EDIT> Haha. I thought you were addressing me as my name is Mark also. You couldnt have known that though.

Last edited:
Yes, I know about it. It is run through a tube pre to bring it to RCA level. It might be a little loud but no clipping or distortion from level shown on anything.

What would you do for the OP? I think I would benefit from his answer in this case.

Yes, I know about it. It is run through a tube pre to bring it to RCA level. It might be a little loud but no clipping or distortion from level shown on anything.

What would you do for the OP? I think I would benefit from his answer in this case.

A tube pre-amp is not necessarily a phono pre-amp and without any RIAA EQ correction inside of it, that would explain the off sound you first described.

Cheers! :)

It is not any particular model, my son built it for me. It has an AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.60 GHz and it has 8 GB of RAM.
Sound bro. You're talking sound here.

So right now you're going from the tape out to an amp/receiver and then from the receiver out to the 1/8" mic input jack on the front of your PC. If that is working, what else do you want?

Unless you have an audio card with RCA input connectors or your receiver has a SPDIF out, I don't see another option. Audacity is as good as any other app for recording.

The Audio Genie II will also work.

Yes it is phono pre amp made my balari or something. Enough about it. The signal coming in is not the problem. I can monitor out that an it sounds fine.

I have terrible quality taking anything analog into the DAW. Then to hear it back off DAW , you render to mp3 or wav and its ruined. Wav is a little better.

The render app for MP3 format is even called Lame mp3 in Reaper. It must be an inside joke they already know about.

It is not any particular model, my son built it for me. It has an AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.60 GHz and it has 8 GB of RAM.

Depending on the motherboard for that processor you might have a PCI slot or two you could get a decent audio interface for. I would steer clear of anything USB if you have another choice. And frankly if you don't have another choice I would get get a different motherboard that gives you another choice. ;)

When we go to the trouble of recording to analog tape our choice of digital conversion is even more important. I mean it should not be an afterthought because all your hard work goes through it to the final product.

If you have a spare PCI (or PCIx or PCIe) slot on the motherboard you have a lot better options for audio interfaces.

Or you could go the stand-alone CD burner route, already mentioned.

When we go to the trouble of recording to analog tape our choice of digital conversion is even more important. I mean it should not be an afterthought because all your hard work goes through it to the final product.

If you have a spare PCI (or PCIx or PCIe) slot on the motherboard you have a lot better options for audio interfaces.

That is what I want, for the work I put into the recording to sound as good when I post it as it did when I transferred it to the computer from my 244. This is new for me, in the past I would copy the finished product to a reel-to-reel and then to a cassette tape. This procedure just seems harder to me.
My mother board has plenty of slots left open as it has a built in graphics card and built in sound card. The sound card has RCA outs on it but no RCA ins. It does have, as I mentioned before, an 1/8" stereo mic input.

Thank you all for your input. :o

If you could tell us the brand and model of your motherboard it would make it easier for us to recommend specific audio interfaces.

I still mix everything down to reel-to-reel and then to digital, but its not too much different than mixing to a digital format. You'll get the hang of it.

I have this same problem and would also like to know. If I input a played vinyl record into the RCAs of my 2x2 usb, it sounds really scratchy and thin on the DAW.
That's because a phone input has the riaa eq curve applied to it and the line input on your computer does not. The actual record does sound like that, you just normally hear it through the eq. If you plug your turntable into the cd input on your stereo, it will sound like that too.

Due to the physical limitations of the medium, the sound is put to vinyl through a pre-emphasis curve, then played back throu an opposing de-emphasis curve. If you bypass the de-emphasis, it will sound like thin poo.

Back