NAME THOSE OLD NOW OBSCURE BANDS

Treb, u surprise me not mentioning the ......wait for it......

The .............................Fuck Fucks...........with their song "Shit Sandwich".........last seen on a video clip on a roof of a pub in St. Kilda, Melbooorrrrrrrnnnnn.

Talk about bands I'd rather forget....lmao.

Peace..........ChrisO

WOW!

This list was going way, way off the obscurity meter, there for a while, and then someone brought it back to -0- !!!

Come on folks, we know a lot of it is rehash of 10 pages ago!

And,
, mixmkr, Expert Member:
"well I aint going back to check, but at this point in the game, no one has said: Crow, Country Joe and the Fish!!!!!!!!
Jethro Tull........ and the DOORS!!!!! my goodness...that's only the 60's"

Well, go back and check. You might have scored a good one with "Crow", but each and every other band you named has been named, a long time ago! Come on, we're not brain dead, and most of us were not just born yesterday, either!

Those bands, and others, and especially the '60's have not been overlooked.

Fact is, that there's really so many bands named in this thread already, that it's hard not to repeat now, and really hard to come up with anything else that's obscure, with the exception of local bands from local scenes, which of course, will always break the obscurity meter.

That's cool man,

That is what this thread is for, naming all those old, obscure bands.

This really must be a record holder for a thread, but check back, if you have lots of time, and read the whole list. This list has come full circle at least once, if not more.

I'm all for it. Name those old, obscure bands. It's very hard not to regurgitate references, when a post is this long. I figure just about every obscure band (and some not-so-obscure ones) have been named already, with few exceptions.

The exception would be local bands from local scenes, which by definition are totally obscure, and go way, way off the obscurity meter. That doesn't mean as much to me as naming some really obscure, nationally known, or universally known, "obscure" bands.

I think local bands from local scenes are in a totally different class of -total- obscurity, than other obscure bands that may have had a national or global presence. Local obscure bands from local obscure scenes almost deserve their own thread!

Geez, does the garage band I threw together count for this list? We're obscure, we're from Palmdale. HA!

Rossington Collins Band, I think they had a minor hit
Five Man Electrical Band (signs)
The Romantics (Talking in your sleep)
Josephus
Georgia Satellites
NRBQ

I must admit,everyone has done such a good job that we are fishing in the shallows now.....but there ARE some other bands (or artists) hiding from us.We haven't done too many individual artists.....hmmmmmmm------

Awesome Thread

Some GREAT bands here. Some others that probably shouldn't ever be spoken of.

I can't believe someone mentioned Frigid Pink. They did this really cool version of "House of the Rising Son." Anybody heard it?

Anybody mentioned Head East?
Manfred Mann's Earth Band is another one.
Oooo! How about Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen!

Cold Blood,with Lydia Pense on lead vocals(a white Chaka Khan!)
Or how about Chase,a band led by trumpeter Bill Chase?This band had a horn section of 5 trumpets (I think 5)!!!Also,Brewer and Shipley....

gary myrick and the figures- she talks in stereo

OK, I asked that question about 15 pages ago, and someone FINALLY answered it! WOW, that's obscure! Good one! Someone's paying attention!

Armageddon.........included ex-lead vocalist for the Yardbirds,Keith Relf,and someone else known that I can't remember.
The Meat Puppets
T. Rex (once again....ask a kid today)
Doug Kershaw
I'll ask again...........anyone remember Elf?

Q: "Anybody mentioned Head East?

Manfred Mann's Earth Band is another one.
Oooo! How about Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen!"

A:-> Yes, yes & yes. All been mentioned.

Q: "I'll ask again...........anyone remember Elf?"

A:-> Wasn't that the pickup band that Ritchie Blackmore assimilated, then becoming Blackmore's Rainbow?? I think so.

Elf was Dio, before Dio was Dio,... if you know what I mean.

Am I right? What do I win?

Did I peg the obscurity meter again? :confused:

Yes,you win!
I had an Elf album that had guitar,piano,bass and drums...and Ronnie James Dio was the bass player/vocalist.It was old time rock and roll,and the main keyboard was a piano throughout.

Too bad too..........I remember the album was right in the pocket,and had a great 1-4-5 type of stripped down good stuff.No poser lead singer ego stuff,or guitarist with rock-pig stances.I did see one other Elf album,with Dio and a rising sun on the front,but I never heard it.I'll keep looking to replace the one I did have........................

You know,

if you wait long enough, almost everything will be re-issued on CD.

No more than a couple weeks after KLAATU appeared on this list, KLAATU CDs are in the stores! No kidding.

Maybe record business hacks are monitoring this thread, for ideas about what people like!:rolleyes:

Back