NAME THOSE OLD NOW OBSCURE BANDS

I've been on vacation for a week.........you guys and gals have been busy!!!!!!
Wendy Waldman.........way to go,Twist.Good one,for sure.Was it Waldman,or Walderman? I had an album by her,and she was playing acoustic and a strat.
Actually,there have been several good additions.
Climax Blues Band has been out on CD for awhile........even the old ones,like Tightly Knit.

I see Maria Maldauer is trying to make a comeback with a new album. Kinda bluesey, jazzy stuff. Interesting story actually, because speaking of obscure, she has a whole bunch of albums to her credit, yet I've never heard anything but the "Midnight at the Oasis" LP.

I'd also like to give honorable mention to Ben Folds, who even though he's had a little airplay with at least 2 songs that I know of, has remained pretty obscure. Not many people recognize his name, and his music is very hip stuff.(IMHO)

Twist

You have got to be kidding me....

I haven't been here in MONTHS and this thread is STILL GOING?!?!?!

That has to be a record....

:D

How about....

Eric Gales

I have an Eric Gales album,before he teamed up with his brothers........trio heavy stuff,pretty good.Maria Muldaur put out a few albums on a Christian label in the 80s....pretty good stuff,too.I have one of them.Ben Folds Five.........very interesting!

I usedta date a chick that looked a helava lot like Maria Muldaur
at the time "Midnight at the Oasis" was out on the air.

Anyone mention Dick "better shread than dead" Dale yet?

Faithmonster

http://www.urban.ne.jp/home/koa7/byrds.htm
I think that at one time Clarence White (MY favorite guitarist)was one of Marias session guitarists and I think it was on the Midnight at the Oasis alblum. To see what a truly prolific guitar player he was (died in 1973 run over by a drunk driver)click on the link above. When was Midnight at the Oasis done? He played on 100's
of peoples sessions something I never new until I found this site.:cool: He and Gene Parsons invented the Parsons White stringbender which Fender later incorporated into one of its telecaster models and is still available. Clarence used this device mystifying guitarists, wondering how in the hell does he get that sound? Jimmy Page tried one for a while I read somewhere but gave up on it. For a demonstration of this device and technique refer to the two Byrds CDs now available, "Untitled" and "The Byrds Live at the Fillmore" and listen to the live cuts and his guitar virtuoso is astonishing! I'm sure that if he had lived we would all know his name.

Last edited:
twist,

Finally getting to your question re Christine McVie nee Perfect... no, I didn't use a lifeline, just a good memory...

tweedville,

It was Wendy Waldman, not Walderman (I was remembering it as Waldeman myself -- this time I looked it up).

Curiously, she did some work with Maria Muldaur, who's been being mentioned here lately...

...which reminds me of another terrific guitarist other than the great Clarence White, in fact the guy that played the very distinctive, interesting and different guitar solo and fills on Maria Muldaur's big hit, "Midnight At the Oasis" -- I'm talking about Amos Garrett.

And before I let go of Wendy Waldman, seeing her name reminded me of Karla Bonoff, another LA singer/songwriter who had a flash of fame by writing several songs that Linda Ronstadt recorded in her mid-seventies rock heyday...

-AlChuck

AlChuck,

Damn, you beat me to it. I was in the middle of typing a post about Karla Bonoff, when I was interrupted by WORK of all things.

Anyway, She had a beautiful voice, and was an excellent writer, even though noone seemed to notice. Except some minor talent.

Bonnie Raitt recorded her composition "Home", and Linda Ronstadt made "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me" famous.

And anyone whose ever been to a wedding has heard "The Water is Wide" Though it's usually slightly altered from the original version, but still a beautiful melody,and a beautiful love song.

By the way Tweed, I was just thinking the other day, they say everyone gets his 15 minutes of fame. Even if you're never famous for anything else, You've authored the longest thread in history!

Now who was it that was going to compile this list?

Twist

Nice to see Amos Garrett mentioned........kudos. :D
Karla Bonoff,too. Thanks,Twist.......I'll take the 15 minutes.(LOL).
I never expected so many people would respond...:eek: This is fun.......

Last edited:
Hey, Bow & Wes, what's happenin' dudes etc. My gaawd-- 17 pp long!
Amazing Rhythm Aces (which I mentioned several hundred pages ago) is now being reissued on CD.
And somebody besides me actually mentioned Genya Ravan and 10 Wheel Drive... Y'all are lunatics.

Alas, no, getuhgrip...unless I was really stoned at the time;).
Maria Muldaur IS NOT OBSCURE! There, I said it. Saw her live in Houston 15 years ago [OK, maybe she's obscure NOW] and some nobody named Lyle Lovett opened for her. The album with "Midnight At The Oasis" was killer, but check out the stuff she's done since then...still alive & well.
John

I've been informed that it was a Wagel, not a Weigle!
Fricken Wagels....can't trust a one of 'em!

"Midnight on the Oasis" helped me push more lil spinners over the edge back in highschool than any other tune!

I owe ya, Maria!;)

Glad my memory's not defective, Getuhgrip. I had to look up Cupertino on the map -- I was in Southern California those years. And it's WeigEL.
Cheers

Back