Micing vs miking

Well . . . let's think about this. "Mike" is a name. But it is an abbreviation of "Michael". So anyone who shortens his name from Michael should shorten it to "Mic".

That removes the problem of the abbreviation of microphone being a name. It can now be mike, because Michaels will all be Mic.

They could be Mich. :)

Hahahahaha what a great thread! I don't think I've laughed at anything on this forum as much as I laughed at all the witty & kooky responses. Great schtuff.

That being said, in every single studio I've ever worked at, the apostrophe method reigns. For all studio/recording terminology. So it would be "mic'ing" and "DI'ed" and so on.

But, I agree with what a lot of contributors said here: we're not English professors or even tabloid reporters, so as long as the intended audience gets what is written, that's all that matters. However, this thread was so entertaining that I hope more confusing studio terms and whatnot get hashed out here. So fun!

I'm glad you embraced the contraction. "Johny Do Not" would just be plain pompous. :eek:

Ah, a Mitch Hedberg line..

'I got a “Do-Not-Disturb” sign on my hotel door. It says “Do Not Disturb”; it’s time we go with “Don’t Disturb”. It’s been “Do Not” for too long. We need to embrace the contraction. “Don’t disturb”; “Do Not” psyches you out. “Do”: “Alright, I get to disturb this guy”. “Not”: “Shit! I need to read faster!”

:D

Ah, a Mitch Hedberg line..

'I got a “Do-Not-Disturb” sign on my hotel door. It says “Do Not Disturb”; it’s time we go with “Don’t Disturb”. It’s been “Do Not” for too long. We need to embrace the contraction. “Don’t disturb”; “Do Not” psyches you out. “Do”: “Alright, I get to disturb this guy”. “Not”: “Shit! I need to read faster!”

:D
I was going to post the exact same thing, but I was looking for a video of just that joke, which I couldn't find. Love everything Mitch ever said.

I was going to post the exact same thing, but I was looking for a video of just that joke, which I couldn't find. Love everything Mitch ever said.

I refuse to pay attention to anything coming from a person called "Mitch". It is most commonly a contraction of "Mitchell", which itself is a bastardisation of "Michael".

If anything, it should be Mitch'.

M'ch is an icon! I agree. Every word out of his mouth was perfect.

Hahahahaha you guys are hilarious. Awesome. SOOOOO glad Mitch Hedburg got referenced. Loved his stuff. My uncle and cousin had tickets to see him a while back here in Chicago, and they decided at the last minute not to go for some silly reason, figuring he'd be back again soon. And then he died three weeks later. So sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahaha you guys are hilarious. Awesome. SOOOOO glad Mitch Hedburg got referenced. Loved his stuff. My uncle and cousin had tickets to see him a while back here in Chicago, and they decided at the last minute not to go for some silly reason, figuring he'd be back again soon. And then he died three weeks later. So sad.

I bet Mitch figured he would be back too - also. I meant he would be back as well, if not twice. Which would be a different two - too. Two is only a form of too that was not meant to be said twice. :) I should have ended that joke here, but I still have two minutes left too.

Loved that dood!

RIP to the great Hedberg. :drunk:

Wow, I'm impressed with all of the Mitch Hedburg lines coming off the top of the head! I thought I was the only one obsessed enough with him to be able to do that. My personal favorite:

"Some songs have a special meaning between a man and a woman, but sometimes that backfires. For example, (sung) 'We are the world/We are the children/We are the ones who make a brighter day/So let's keep giving...' You remember that song, baby? The night I fucked you in the pet sematary?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Wow, I'm impressed with all of the Mitch Hedburg lines coming off the top of the head! I thought I was the only one obsessed enough with him to be able to do that. My personal favorite:

"Some songs have a special meaning between a man and a woman, but sometimes that backfires. For example, (sung) 'We are the world/We are the children/We are the ones who make a brighter day/So let's keep giving...' You remember that song, baby? The night I fucked you in the pet sematary?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
HAHA! That's from the same album of:

"I was sitting at a bar and the guy came and told me I was blocking the fire exit. Like, if there was a fire, I wouldn't run. If you're flammable and you have legs, you're never blocking a fire exit."

Is that the one with the dude playing bass all the way through it?

No, I think it's the one before that. I could be wrong. The album we're talking about is "Strategic Grill Locations." I don't think it's available for sale; I got it as a bootleg. I can send it yer way if you like.

No, I think it's the one before that. I could be wrong. The album we're talking about is "Strategic Grill Locations." I don't think it's available for sale; I got it as a bootleg. I can send it yer way if you like.
Thanx man. It's on Youtube. I fall asleep to it often. My favorite is "Mitch All Together", which opens with "Don't Disturb", etc.....:D

Back