Micing vs miking

Hazard Nova

Everything in moderation
This thread is really about spelling, so, moderator, feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate if this ain't the place for it.

The present-tense word for "to place a microphone in front of or near something for the purposes of using the microphone to capture its sound" is pronounced like "my king". No dispute there.

A lot of people spell this like "micing" but I would pronounce that like "my sing" and it annoys me. I don't want to put little rodents near my equipment! Is anyone else annoyed by that spelling?

So, I spell it miking. I think many other people do also, though I haven't seen it in a while.

But, I don't shorten the word microphone to "mike". Some people do, but I write "mic". (An intelligent person can hold two contradictory ideas in his head at the same time.)

Along those lines, the shortened version of synchronize is sync. If you are synchronizing something, are you syncing it or synching it? Either way, you're probably not synking it.

I'm a miking / mic guy myself. I'd probably use synching, now that I think about it, but it's not something I do all that often, so not sure really....

I started a thread about this in the Newbies section not too long ago....as I too hate the spelling confusion. :)

I'm miking this amp with two mics.

Anything else looks weird, IMO! ;)

I'd probably use synching, now that I think about it, but it's not something I do all that often, so not sure really....

That's a peculiar one...since there is no such word, AFA I know.
Synchronizing is the proper word....so for me, when I shorten it, I go with sync'ing or syncing...or I just avoid saying it that way and look for a better way to say what I mean. :D

Seems the online dictionaries opt for syncing.

I really do't mind what spelling people use, either for mikes or syncing, though I have my own preference. It is not as if we don't know what they mean.

I probably wouldn't actually use "synching" now that I think about it. I'd find a way around it...

Once we've got this sorted, can we work out the correct past tense of the verb "DI"... I DI'd the bass or I DId the bass or I DIed the bass.... :D

It is not as if we don't know what they mean.

Right....it's been put up some many times in various ways, everyone knows what someone really means....it's just one of those things that feels like it could come up in some late-night talk show host monologue. :D

This thread is really about spelling, so, moderator, feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate if this ain't the place for it.

The present-tense word for "to place a microphone in front of or near something for the purposes of using the microphone to capture its sound" is pronounced like "my king". No dispute there.

A lot of people spell this like "micing" but I would pronounce that like "my sing" and it annoys me. I don't want to put little rodents near my equipment! Is anyone else annoyed by that spelling?

So, I spell it miking. I think many other people do also, though I haven't seen it in a while.

But, I don't shorten the word microphone to "mike". Some people do, but I write "mic". (An intelligent person can hold two contradictory ideas in his head at the same time.)

Along those lines, the shortened version of synchronize is sync. If you are synchronizing something, are you syncing it or synching it? Either way, you're probably not synking it.

You've cleared up some confusion for me. I always thought micing looked a bit off. I like the miking.

I use all correct and incorrect forms of mic, mic'd, micd, miked, miking, mic'ing. I don't care. If someone can't tell what I'm saying, too bad for them.

I often misspell "cardioid" as "cardoid". Not because I don't know better, but because I'm a terrible typerologist.

Back