Micing vs miking

Mic this beotch!

IMO, as long as the point gets across, I don't really care how anyone spells anything.

Unless someone calls me Jim....

Miking with mics for me. Always has been, and always will be. The two alternatives micing and mic'ing both make me cringe. No real reason, and I understand their thinking, but I'll stick with miking!

Guess I'm going to have to link this on the 2 OM facebook groups I belong to that use 'MIC' to start some arguments!

When I feel liking micing things, I mic them with my mics, and when I done they are well and truly miced... but that's just me! :)

Since it is a slang or possibly a "technical term" it's open to interpretation, personally I use mic'ing or mic'd. But if you under stand what the author means what's the problem? except that you may have too much time on your hands and that allows you the opportunity to be so "sensitive" to minutia.

Since it is a slang or possibly a "technical term" it's open to interpretation, personally I use mic'ing or mic'd. But if you under stand what the author means what's the problem? except that you may have too much time on your hands and that allows you the opportunity to be so "sensitive" to minutia.

Are you kidding, 6 pages over mic'ing, minutia is what keeps this board alive (with sprinkles of great information).

It is its blessing and curse.

Yes, you are correct.

This thread is really about spelling, so, moderator, feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate if this ain't the place for it.

The present-tense word for "to place a microphone in front of or near something for the purposes of using the microphone to capture its sound" is pronounced like "my king". No dispute there.

A lot of people spell this like "micing" but I would pronounce that like "my sing" and it annoys me. I don't want to put little rodents near my equipment! Is anyone else annoyed by that spelling?

So, I spell it miking. I think many other people do also, though I haven't seen it in a while.

But, I don't shorten the word microphone to "mike". Some people do, but I write "mic". (An intelligent person can hold two contradictory ideas in his head at the same time.)

Along those lines, the shortened version of synchronize is sync. If you are synchronizing something, are you syncing it or synching it? Either way, you're probably not synking it.

Back