Micing vs miking

mic. It takes .2 seconds to write a 'c', while the bastard letter 'k' takes over .6 seconds. This has saved me over 5 hours so far and helped me to avoid karpal tunnel syndrome. It looks cooler too. I may just noc k's out altogether as they are rarely needed.

Most often I tend to see "mic" used as both a noun and a verb ("I have a mic", or "I will mic my guitar"), but micing still makes me smile (because it suggests to me doing unseemly or innovative things with rodentia). And yet, I always see contraptions used for holding mics referred to as "mikestands", as opposed to "micstands".

It's confusing and painful to my sense of symmetry and consistency ("all shall learn to play the piano").

I think it might be a good idea to find another name for these devices. Like "waffle" -- i.e., "I just bought a matched pair of Neumann waffles."

:eatpopcorn:

Well... If it's "Microphone" and "a mic" would it not be logical that "micing" would be the proper verb. Besides "Mike" is a dude.

hmmm . . . and Warren is a dude, not a place that rabbits run into. And Billy is a dude, not somthing you boil water in over a campfire . . . and so on. So the logic falls down, because words are allowed to have more than a single meaning.

In any case, the logical falls down because it only applies to the written word. When you talk, you still say "mike" and "miking", not "mice" and "micing". My name is Mike, and no-one has yet tried to plug an XLR into me or balance me on a mike stand.

Since "mike" was the original elaboration of microphone, it would stand to reason that mked and miking would work for those in that camp.
However, mic is a natural abbreviation of microphone. Therefore, wouldn't its conjugations be contractions? mic'ed or mic'ing?
You don't see a lot of miced or micing around. I'm with padded cell. Sounds like something perverts do with mice and tubes and end up having dead mice surgically removed from their nether regions.

mic. It takes .2 seconds to write a 'c', while the bastard letter 'k' takes over .6 seconds. This has saved me over 5 hours so far and helped me to avoid karpal tunnel syndrome. It looks cooler too. I may just noc k's out altogether as they are rarely needed.

K is actually easier to type, though C is easier to write by hand. At least according to the prevailing heuristics.

If I have a bicycle, I ride my bike, not my bic. Though mostly I go cycling, sometimes I go biking, not bicing.

K is actually easier to type, though C is easier to write by hand. At least according to the prevailing heuristics.
I would agree - C is on the bottom row of keys to type, K is on the middle one where your fingers 'naturally' rest if you have been taught typing. However, you do also have to hit an E if typing mike as opposed mic, so that adds some time, so it may balance out. I suggest a room full of 1000 monkeys at typewriters so that a study can be done. Think I'll set up a Kickstarter for it.

My name is Mike, and no-one has yet tried to plug an XLR into me or balance me on a mike stand.

Gecko - you don't get out enough. It's amazing where people will try to shove that XLR plug! :spank:

Face it folks. English is just plain weird.
The fact that we would argue about this for 7 pages shows that!

If I have a bicycle, I ride my bike, not my bic. Though mostly I go cycling, sometimes I go biking, not bicing.
But...by the same token, if you're contracting "bycicle" to "bike", then wouldn't you contract "cycling" to "cykle"?

I can't believe I'm actually taking part in all this. Or would that be "tacing"?

The fact there is no absolute correct way, simply shows that it's a matter of what the majority adopts and how it's then assimilated by newbs and passed on. So we need to take a stand here. :)

Miking and mic is the only way that it should be. ;)

Micing is just altogether dumb....and mike is a name, not a microphone. :p

Using mic'ing and mic'ed....is just too gahy.
You have to hold your pinky up in the air when you type that! :D

....and mike is a name, not a microphone.

Well . . . let's think about this. "Mike" is a name. But it is an abbreviation of "Michael". So anyone who shortens his name from Michael should shorten it to "Mic".

That removes the problem of the abbreviation of microphone being a name. It can now be mike, because Michaels will all be Mic.

wouldn't it be mic'ing .... where you use the apostrophe to replace missing letters?
Just like contractions such as can't where the apostrophe replaces the n and o in can not

Back