Is there any song subject matter that you find hard to listen to ?

Then there's this totally irreverant song from Sydney's Thought Criminals in the late 70's singing about a series of suicides by jumping off buildings and the total overkill by the media response that seemed to prompt copy cat jumps. they have a great song about the neighbours too!

Hey Chuck, this is the first I've ever heard of this tacobell progression rip off. Not sure I've come across it before. Any particularly bad offenders that come to mind?

Well, it's rampant, but probably not in anything you would listen too.. I guess the key difference is that I am 47 and have a 14 year old, probably why I hear it so often :-)

Here's a short list I cribbed of a site. There are probably hundreds, with more arriving every day... There are a few bands on here I've actually listened to at one time or another :-)

•Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space
Green Day - Basket Case
•Vitamin C - Graduation Friends Forever
•Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter - One Tin Soldier
•Belle & Sebastian - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
•My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
•Blues Traveler - Hook
•Goldfinger - Superman
•The Polyphonic Spree - Light And Day / Reach for the Sun
•Coolio - C U When U Get There
•Joe Jackson - Hometown
•Tupac - Life Goes On
•Therapy Sisters - Pachelbel's Tantrum
•The Farm - All Together Now
•First Class - Beach Baby
•Mary-Kate and Ashley - Imagine
•Relient K - Operation
•Happa-tai - Yatta
•Delerium - Paris
•Aphrodite's Child - Rain and Tears
•Lutricia McNeal - Rise
•[several artists, including Paliament] - Oh Lord, Why Lord?
•Menelik - Je Me Souviens
•Libera - Sanctus
•Arianne - Komm, Susser Tod
•Bob James - In the Garden
•Brian Eno - Fullness of Wind
•Akon - Don't Matter
•Pet Shop Boys - Go West
•Eternity - Wonderful World
•Eternity - Love
•Eternity - You Smile
•Sweetbox - Life is Cool
•Emiri Miyamoto - Break
•Bond - Lullaby
•Alain Barriere - Tout s'en va déjà
•Oscar Benton - I Believe In Love
•All Angels - Salve Regina
•El Bosco - Nirvana
•Fahrenheit - Xin Li You Shu
•Redsox - Sweet Dream
•Sarah Connor - Love Is Color Blind
•Philip Wesley - Ode to a composer
•Die Firma - Die Eine
•2 Brothers On The 4th Floor - There is a key
•2 Brothers On The 4th Floor - Christmas Time
•Theresia - Moonlight
•Valensia - Bruxelles
•Arthur - Pipo
•DJ Angel - Flowrish
•Claire Hamill - Someday We Will All Be Together
•Karnak - Juvenar
•Leftover Crack - Crack City Rockers
•twenty47 - Get A Life, Again
•Byul - Like a Star
•Terry FU - Two Different Worlds
•Luca Zeta - Over The Clouds
•M2M - The Day You Went Away
•N-Dubz ft. Bodyrox - We Dance On
•Nicki Minaj - Girls Fall Like Dominoes
•Shane Filan - Beautiful in White
•Ashram - Last Kiss

Ah thanks Chuck, gotcha. Now I hear what you mean - I do know (and in some cases like) a few of those songs.

I must have heard that Spiritualized song a hundred times and had never consciously picked up on the fact that it lifts the whole Canon in D arrangement, never mind just the progression.

It's pretty blatant where it's used in stuff like Pet Shop Boys, Tupac and The Farm. Again, I know all those songs and had never thought of it before. Can't really hear it at all in the Belle & Sebastian song mentioned though.

Ah thanks Chuck, gotcha. Now I hear what you mean - I do know (and in some cases like) a few of those songs.

I must have heard that Spiritualized song a hundred times and had never consciously picked up on the fact that it lifts the whole Canon in D arrangement, never mind just the progression.

It's pretty blatant where it's used in stuff like Pet Shop Boys, Tupac and The Farm. Again, I know all those songs and had never thought of it before. Can't really hear it at all in the Belle & Sebastian song mentioned though.

I thought the Spiritualized would be familiar. In that case I think I can hate the sin, not the sinner as I actually kind of like that song :-) I was performing a deep scan of my own catalog and I found at least one that it is dangerously close - apparently I am not immune....

That Brian Eno song is from Discreet Music, the second side. One of three songs that he calls "Variations on Pachabel's Canon" right on the record jacket. Not sure that constitutes as a ripoff.

That's funny, I had both the B&S and Spiritualized CDs in the 90s and I heard "the Canon" almost immediately in both.

That Brian Eno song is from Discreet Music, the second side. One of three songs that he calls "Variations on Pachabel's Canon" right on the record jacket. Not sure that constitutes as a ripoff.

Agreed about Eno - The list was cut and paste :-) Unoriginal is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of Eno...

Yeah, both the Belle & Sebastian & Spiritualized songs mentioned are ones that I've known for a long time and my familiarity with them probably predates my familiarity with Canon In D.

I'm more likely to have consciously heard Canon in D for the first time and thought "jeez, that Pachelbel guy has really ripped off Jason Pierce on this one" :D :facepalm:

I saw Sir Cliff once - def. a low point musically AND he turned it into a recruitment session. When he sang "Why does the devil have to have all the good music?" I answered, "...because you do such damage to it, pratt!"
"Why should the devil have all the good music ?" was written by a maverick artist called Larry Norman and performed on his fantastic album "Only visiting this planet" from 1972 {as great an album as it is, I prefer his controversial follow up, "So long ago the garden"}. As stated in some of the earlier posts, one of the sources of opposition early christian rock had to face was the idea that the sacred and secular had no business in the same room together but Norman loved the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan and bucked the trend of the times and really marched to his own beat and made good rock music, often with a spirit enlivened core. The title comes from a debate that was centuries old {literally} that basically put forward the view that christian music shouldn't suck.
Ironically, on the album it comes from, it's the only song I don't like. I think it sucks and very little he did that I have did.
Even more ironic, on the "Walking in the light" album, Cliff does a wicked version of the song, backed by the Shadows. It's the definitive one in my view.

Yeah, both the Belle & Sebastian & Spiritualized songs mentioned are ones that I've known for a long time and my familiarity with them probably predates my familiarity with Canon In D.

I'm more likely to have consciously heard Canon in D for the first time and thought "jeez, that Pachelbel guy has really ripped off Jason Pierce on this one" :D :facepalm:

That is so funny you say that, because the kids all point out songs that are 'ripping each other off', but they are all based on Da Canon :-)

PS - THE CANON featured prominently in a GE light bulb commercial that ran about 1000 times a day through the 80s and into the 90s. That's probably why the majority of American's are familiar with it - well that and some sappy movie that was all the rage that I can't remember, but I think it was about cancer and people dying and the like.

LIGHT BULB CANON

Generally, I don't have too much problem with most styles of music, there is good and bad in all of them... but songs that promote hate and violence are disturbing, as I often find most folk who are going to support them... our lives are stressful enough without this "stuff" being hurled at us altering out attitudes and degrading the value of another people... it increases fear and paranoia and leads to aggressive behavior... telling how you feel in a song is one thing, trying to incite a riot for no cause is hateful... glorifying violence, rape, murder... is this the legacy of our generation... and for those who are offended by my comments... good, maybe you should look at your views as clearly as I try to look at mine...I do not condemn any type of "music", just some choices of content...

...things that really rub you up the wrong way or cause you to reach the point where you feel or have felt "I just can't listen to that" ?...

Yup -

1. Rap
2. Rap
3. Female Opera Singing
4. Rap
5. Extreme Country - you know - that hokey pokey, ridiculously whiny, unnecessarily twangy, red-neck idiot stuff
6. Rap
7. More Rap
8. Any Rap
9. Rap - period!

These above 9 categories - I can't get to fast enough to mute, change the channel or turn off.

But like someone previously, you've not answered the question; you've just taken the first excuse to bash genres that you don't like.
Even a master psychologist or psychoanalyst or heavenly mystical mind reader would never be able to determine from your post if there's any subject matter you find you can't listen to.
There's nothing particularly interesting in disliking a genre.

But like someone previously, you've not answered the question; you've just taken the first excuse to bash genres that you don't like.
Even a master psychologist or psychoanalyst or heavenly mystical mind reader would never be able to determine from your post if there's any subject matter you find you can't listen to.
There's nothing particularly interesting in disliking a genre.

This is true. However, I simply couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

But...to answer your question after all, the one thing that does come to mind which I have taken offence to is indeed some of the 'lyrics' I hear in Rap songs regarding the degradation of women - you know - HOs, Bitches, etc.

Back