I'm ready for some football.

Hey Greg, I'm ready for some football too. Talking about die-hard fans, my team is the Raiders. I remember that somehow I became a fan way back in 5th or 6th grade when this teacher had a football card of George Blanda on her bulletin board. She was a fan and that's when I became a fan and started watching football. I saw the last game Blanda played in (on T.V.,not in person). I think they actually let him play a down or two at QB although by that time he was their kicker. He was in his late 40's maybe even 50? Anyways glad Al Davis finally passed, although it hasn't helped much anyways. He was great back in the day. He would take the has beens and revive them. Somehow the Raiders lost that ability. Now they take haven't beens and still can't win. Well here's hoping for a great season for us all, although keep in mind someone has to lose!

The problem with college football is the SEC, we struggle for years to get a championship game and now it's just whoever vs the SEC champion. Great if you're an SEC fan, lousy for everyone else.

The problem with college football is the SEC, we struggle for years to get a championship game and now it's just whoever vs the SEC champion. Great if you're an SEC fan, lousy for everyone else.

Step your fucking game up. Play better competition. Play better football. The SEC isn't the problem. The rest of you just need to keep up. That's like blaming EVH for being too good a guitarist and making everyone else look bad. Can you dispute any of the past 7 national champions from the SEC? Name one that shouldn't have been in that game......that they also just happened to win. Look at the teams the SEC has dispatched in the championship game: Ohio St twice, Texas, Oklahoma twice, Oregon, Notre Dame, Florida St ....did I miss anyone? Those aren't scrub teams. Those aren't patsies. Those are heavy duty college programs that had their shot and missed. The only loss the SEC has had in the big game is to another SEC team. :laughings: (that game sucked by the way) :(

Step your fucking game up. Play better competition. Play better football. The SEC isn't the problem. The rest of you just need to keep up. That's like blaming EVH for being too good a guitarist and making everyone else look bad. Can you dispute any of the past 7 national champions from the SEC? Name one that shouldn't have been in that game......that they also just happened to win. Look at the teams the SEC has dispatched in the championship game: Ohio St twice, Texas, Oklahoma twice, Oregon, Notre Dame, Florida St ....did I miss anyone? Those aren't scrub teams. Those aren't patsies. Those are heavy duty college programs that had their shot and missed. The only loss the SEC has had in the big game is to another SEC team. :laughings: (that game sucked by the way) :(

Saying step your game up isn't really addressing the situation, more likely if the ratings take a hit the NCAA will hobble the SEC to keep their cash cow safe, kind of like parity in the NFL.

So having the NCAA handicap the SEC is addressing the situation? Lol! Yeah that's smart. The SEC is too strong, and the other massive, major programs in other conferences can't compete, so let's fuck up the SEC so someone else will get a chance. Let's penalize Bama, and Florida, and LSU, and Georgia, and Texas A&M, and South Carolina, and Auburn, and even Ole Miss and Tennessee because they recruit good players from their own home states and coach them up to be better than everyone else. Nick Saban should be fired on the spot because he's just too good of a coach. Jadeveon Clowney hit that poor Michigan kid way too hard. The full-on ass raping Bama put on undefeated Notre Dame last year was totally unfair! Lol. The Purdue fans are getting upset! Oregon State alums are getting pissed! Please.

The SEC does get the benefit of the doubt in the polls for sure. Should they not? Have teams from the SEC not proven themselves year after year? Maybe the SEC is a little top-heavy. What conference isn't? The top SEC teams should be looked at as role models, not villains. You wanna win? Play like Bama. There's not much razzle-dazzle football in the SEC. There aren't many gimmicky spread offenses and porous defenses. They mostly just line up and punch you in the face. Old school football. What's not to love about that?

So having the NCAA handicap the SEC is addressing the situation? Lol! Yeah that's smart. The SEC is too strong, and the other massive, major programs in other conferences can't compete, so let's fuck up the SEC so someone else will get a chance. Let's penalize Bama, and Florida, and LSU, and Georgia, and Texas A&M, and South Carolina, and Auburn, and even Ole Miss and Tennessee because they recruit good players from their own home states and coach them up to be better than everyone else. Nick Saban should be fired on the spot because he's just too good of a coach. Jadeveon Clowney hit that poor Michigan kid way too hard. The full-on ass raping Bama put on undefeated Notre Dame last year was totally unfair! Lol. The Purdue fans are getting upset! Oregon State alums are getting pissed! Please.

The SEC does get the benefit of the doubt for sure. Should they not? Have teams from the SEC not proven themselves year after year? Maybe the SEC is a little top-heavy. What conference isn't? The top SEC teams should be looked at as role models, not villains. You wanna win? Play like Bama. There's not much razzle-dazzle football in the SEC. There aren't many gimmicky spread offenses and porous defenses. They mostly just line up and punch you in the face. Old school football. What's not to love about that?

I'm not saying that's the right thing, but at the end of the day it's about money. If the championship stops being a contest and becomes a formality, casual fans aren't going to tune in.

I'm not saying that's the right thing, but at the end of the day it's about money. If the championship stops being a contest and becomes a formality, casual fans aren't going to tune in.

I agree in principle, but the reality is that won't happen. Football is an addiction and we all have it. No one wanted to see an all-SEC LSU/Bama national championship a few years ago and that game was a stinker. People still tuned in though because it's high-level football.

Actually I wouldn't mind if they took some of the SEC teams and spread them to other conferences ..... I think it's too big personally, when you start having to separate your conference into two, each with it's own little champion and then have them play a playoff to get an overall conference champion ..... I think that's too big.have two separate championships and the play them together and get an overall championship

Actually I wouldn't mind if they took some of the SEC teams and spread them to other conferences ..... I think it's too big personally, when you start having to separate your conference into two, each with it's own little champion and then have them play a playoff to get an overall conference champion ..... I think that's too big.have two separate championships and the play them together and get an overall championship
I like the idea of a split conference with conference championship game. In this era of schedule strengths and "quality wins" being very important for rankings, that conference championship game is a huge boost to your overall body of work if you win it. What's unfair is that some conferences have that game, and some don't. It's unfair because that's one more very difficult game for a team against a very solid opponent. I think all conferences should have a conference championship game, or none have it. IMO having a game is better than a series of weird tie-breakers in the event two teams have the same record.

But I think there are some big shake ups coming for the NCAA. It's already slowly but surely headed that way. The better teams from smaller conferences are being inhaled by the big conferences. The Big East used to be a legitimate football conference. It's a joke now. Eventually college athletics may resemble the model of the NFL. Two or four big honking conferences with divisions. The problem is that there are 117 or so Div 1A college football programs. That's a lot of teams. So they'd need a gigantic basketball style tournament to eventually get to a national champion. That's a lot of games. But it would be a HUGE event that would rival the NFL in popularity.

I sort of like the current system BCS system of using computers and humans to rank teams in one master poll. I like it because the computer programs can easily calculate strength of schedules. An undefeated team that plays a cupcake schedule is no better than a one-loss team that plays a very difficult schedule. Who you play and who they play and how you fare compared to how they fare is important. Computers can handle all that. And the humans can give an actual eyeball opinion. A win is not a win. A loss is not a loss. A team that should blow out it's opponent better blow out it's opponent. Barely squeaking out a win against an obviously overmatched opponent isn't a good win. Barely losing to an opponent that greatly overmatches you isn't a bad loss. Oregon won against some joke team 66-3 or something like that last weekend. That's how it should be. Humans can rank teams from actually watching teams.

So I say....to fix/make better college football.....keep the conferences as they are for tradition and rivalries, keep computer/human polls, like we have now with the BCS, and use that system to rank the teams, just like we do now. But instead of having that poll be the end-all-be-all, use that poll's ranking to seed teams for a fucking playoff. It's so simple. Keep everything the same, and instead of outdated bowl games picking and choosing who they get, take the top 8 teams according to the computer/human poll and seed them in a fucking playoff. It would be huge for everyone. The big 4 bowls would still exist to host the first round of playoff games, and the rest of the games would be hosted by the bowls on a yearly rotation. Every 4 years one of the bowls would have the championship. How fucking simple and flawless would that be? It's all about money and a simple playoff system like that would make tons of it. Again, it would rival the NFL. The conspiracy nut in me almost thinks that the NFL is what keeps these logical fixes for college football from happening. The NFL is the most powerful entity in America. They don't want anyone invading their turf.

I'm still smiling. :)

Lol. That was savage. First half, I was like, cool, good game. Close. A little sloppy but entertaining. I have no rooting interest in either team, so I enjoyed it. Second half was the Peyton Manning's still-got-it show. Really the game wasn't even as close as the score - which wasn't close at all. Wes Welker's punt fumble essentially gift-wrapped a Ravens TD, and that dummy Denver defender dropped the ball before he crossed the goal line on that pick-six. That's a two TD swing right there. That was a beatdown.

Yeah, all those white lines on the field look the same.

I made a similar mistake when I was about 11 playing pee-wee football. I ran back a punt for what would have been a TD, but I slowed up at the 5 yd line thinking i was in the end-zone and got caught from behind. Tackled at the three. In my defense, I was 11 yrs old, and we didn't have a pro field in a billion dollar stadium with fancy painted yardage lines and numbers. We had an empty lot and orange street cones for yard markers. :laughings:

Back