I'm ready for some football.

They used to call them gladiators.

Yeh I realised that when I was writing it. It makes me sound like a proper violent redneck, which I'd kind of like to be, but I'm not. :)

That's pretty much exactly how I look at it. Some people get really upset that people on a team that they pull for aren't choir boy angelic members of society. I personally don't care. I'd rather my teams be full of thugs and degenerates. Those guys win games. They're generally better ball players than the honor roll students. I look at football players as pieces in a big chess game being played for my amusement. I don't care that they're actual human beings. Run faster, hit harder, do your job and entertain me. That's what I want. :D

Those pro sports players have got more stitches loose than anyone I know.

I was kind of pissed when they started getting all heavy on doping. I think they should have a drug vs. clean version for all sports. I know which I'd be watching.

Foul play is OK by me. For me, if you go to that unnatural place that I call super competitive sport, you might as well go the whole hog and really screw yourself up. I'm not agreeing with that dream or anything. I decided to give up competitive sports in my late teens, simply because I couldn't handle the pain and fierce competition. :D But I have to say, the best sports people are the ones that literally throw their bodies on the line to win.

WWE - Go "whoever is supposed to win this week"!

wwe-tag-team.jpg

Real men, real athletes, real entertainment. Never had a steroid scandal.

Those pro sports players have got more stitches loose than anyone I know.

I was kind of pissed when they started getting all heavy on doping. I think they should have a drug vs. clean version for all sports. I know which I'd be watching.

Foul play is OK by me. For me, if you go to that unnatural place that I call super competitive sport, you might as well go the whole hog and really screw yourself up. I'm not agreeing with that dream or anything. I decided to give up competitive sports in my late teens, simply because I couldn't handle the pain and fierce competition. :D But I have to say, the best sports people are the ones that literally throw their bodies on the line to win.

Baseball has a big problem with doping/steroids/etc. It all started in the late 80s. Guys started getting really big and hitting monster home runs. Fans loved it. Then in like 1994 there was a players strike that killed a season and cancelled the world series. Fans were pretty outraged, and when the next season started relatively few people went to the games. It was really bad for baseball, but a few years later there was the magical summer of 1998 in which Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were both on track to obliterate a long standing legendary record - the home run record for a season. Up till that point the record was 61 home runs hit in one season by the legendary Roger Maris in 1961. Before that it was Babe Ruth who hit 60 in like 1928 or something. So each record stood for a long time each and has been held by all-time baseball royalty. Anyway the home run record is a hallowed record and McGwire and Sosa got everyone excited about baseball again. The thing is, these dudes were big hulking monsters. Everyone suspected they were juicing, but at the time no one cared because baseball was exciting again. Later on, it was revealed that they were in fact cheating and the shit has been hitting the fan ever since. There was a big stupid congressional hearing about it in 2005. Roger Clemens, one of the all-time great power pitchers got caught up in it and fought literally everyone in court over it. He has enough money to win, and he did, but no one believes that he didn't cheat. Barry Bonds who to this day has the record with 73 home runs got caught using some top-secret designer undetectable steroids and went down for it. 2011's MVP Ryan Braun just got busted hard for cheating and lying about it. Alex Rodriguez who is by far the richest dude in baseball has been cheating for years and shit's getting really bad for him now. It's a big deal in baseball. Fans didn't care at first, but now everyone is all uppity about the juicers. The kicker is that now even current players are speaking out against it. Players usually band together as a united front no matter what happens, but not anymore. Supposed clean players are speaking up and throwing the juicers under the bus. It's a mess. The "steroid era" might finally be coming to an end. Those juiced up records will probably never be broken.

Baseball has a big problem with doping/steroids/etc. It all started in the late 80s. Guys started getting really big and hitting monster home runs. Fans loved it. Then in like 1994 there was a players strike that killed a season and cancelled the world series. Fans were pretty outraged, and when the next season started relatively few people went to the games. It was really bad for baseball, but a few years later there was the magical summer of 1998 in which Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were both on track to obliterate a long standing legendary record - the home run record for a season. Up till that point the record was 61 home runs hit in one season by the legendary Roger Maris in 1961. Before that it was Babe Ruth who hit 60 in like 1928 or something. So each record stood for a long time each and has been held by all-time baseball royalty. Anyway the home run record is a hallowed record and McGwire and Sosa got everyone excited about baseball again. The thing is, these dudes were big hulking monsters. Everyone suspected they were juicing, but at the time no one cared because baseball was exciting again. Later on, it was revealed that they were in fact cheating and the shit has been hitting the fan ever since. There was a big stupid congressional hearing about it in 2005. Roger Clemens, one of the all-time great power pitchers got caught up in it and fought literally everyone in court over it. He has enough money to win, and he did, but no one believes that he didn't cheat. Barry Bonds who to this day has the record with 73 home runs got caught using some top-secret designer undetectable steroids and went down for it. 2011's MVP Ryan Braun just got busted hard for cheating and lying about it. Alex Rodriguez who is by far the richest dude in baseball has been cheating for years and shit's getting really bad for him now. It's a big deal in baseball. Fans didn't care at first, but now everyone is all uppity about the juicers. The kicker is that now even current players are speaking out against it. Players usually band together as a united front no matter what happens, but not anymore. Supposed clean players are speaking up and throwing the juicers under the bus. It's a mess. The "steroid era" might finally be coming to an end. Those juiced up records will probably never be broken.

Shit, you know your shit. I like a fair game as much as the next person. It's pretty unfair when you're drugged up competing against non drugged, but I think the doping laws get taken too far.

Lance Armstrong...doper, lost his balls to cancer, won the Tour 7 times. Many cyclists that tried before him died of heart attacks from overdoing the drugs, so relatively speaking, I think he did quite well.

Ultimately, it's their choice isn't it? It only became a headline, all this doping nonsense, because someone decided no one should take drugs ever. It's just a red herring, to distract us from the real shit we ought to be worrying about.

I didn't mind that Lance doped, but I thought him trying to cover it up and make out like he was a clean boy when he evidently wasn't, was really pathetic. That's what made me lose respect for him, his lack of conviction.

If you want to screw up your system and take drugs you ought to be allowed. It's not like we're short of people on this planet. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty peaceful person, and I believe in fairness, but doping in sport...go for it, it's the least of our worries.

No, the UK does not allow drugs in sport. :mad:

That's too bad. I believe it is mandatory here.

It's a great skit. A huge Russian wrestler juiced on roids, tranquilizers and alcohol tries to triple the existing weightlifting record and rips his own arms off in the process. Good stuff.

That's too bad. I believe it is mandatory here.

It's a great skit. A huge Russian wrestler juiced on roids, tranquilizers and alcohol tries to triple the existing weightlifting record and rips his own arms off in the process. Good stuff.

Yeh I tried about 6 links in You tube but all of them stated it was for the eyes of the US only, no UKers allowed. Sounds like my kind of entertainment though, pretty disappointed that I can't see that guy's arms getting ripped off. Hopefully I'll dream about it. :D

I don't remember them in the late 2000's...it's possible. The big Kurt Warner years were around 1999 or so....until 2001 when the patriots upset them in that incredibly awesome super bowl. I think that was the beginning of the end for the greatest show on turf.

Good lord...Tim Tebow made the 1st cut and is still a patriot! He's trying for that coveted 3rd quarterback position. Quite a change from the media darling "savior" of the broncos a while back.

Yeah, that's well before my time. So, what's the deal with Tebow at the Patriots then - is it a gimmick to sell a few more shirts or is he going to be just wheeled out on special teams?

Haha yeah rugby is awesome. I'd watch it all the time if it got any coverage here in the USA. American football is sometimes bloody, but what's worse about it, and more awesome, are the savagely broken bones and dislocations. You ALWAYS see dude's knees being bent backwards, sideways, twisted around, their legs flopping over like they have extra joints, arms being folded in half,.....what it lacks in actual blood it makes up for with snapped limbs and shredded joints. Some of that stuff is pretty graphic and can make you queasy. Snot-bubbling concussions are a huge issue these days in the NFL with lawsuits coming from ex-players for having degenerative brain disorders. Rugby players don't really wear any padding, but they're not nearly as fast, big, or powerful as American football players are either. Even with helmets and padding dudes are getting their shit really fucked up.

I think the type of impact is a bit different in rugby too. With American football, the whole point of play is built around that initial clash of the offensive line and defence, so there's a massive hit there of an intensity that you don't really get in rugby. Maybe because rugby flows more and so there isn't so much of that full on charge from standing still. Even in the scrum, it's more often necks and shoulders taking the main impact than the head. It still makes up for it in other ways like the more underhand kind of gauging and biting stuff that's hidden in the pack, and there's still plenty of link with early dementia in rugby players too.

I remember hearing about an NFL player who killed himself and donated his brain to science a few years back - they found it looked like it belonged to someone much older than he was. All that repeated helmet mashing turning his prefrontal cortex into pâté and making him act like a bit of an arsehole because his self control mechanisms were fucked. I'm sure you're all more likely to know about him than me - I don't know anything of him as a player.

I think that was Junior Seau? He was a longtime Charger and finished his career with the patriots.

As for Tim Tebow, I honestly don't think Bill Belichick allows for gimmicks. He's all business. He brought him in because he thought he might be able to help the team in some way. I expect Tebow wouldn't command much of a salary at this point, so no great risk there. Reporters around here have speculated about him having some alternate role like TE, or Wide receiver, and even though the pats are known for having many multi-purpose players, my bet is that he doesn't make the final cut.

Yeah that was Junior Seau. He wasn't the only one that offed himself due to brain trauma from football, but he was definitely the most high profile. He's a sure-fire hall-of-famer.....posthumously of course. His brain was riddled with CTE. He was like in full on dementia at 40 years old.

Tebow. I can't even begin to guess what Belicheck is thinking with Tebow, but if anyone can make something of him, the Patriots can. They specialize in taking fringe goofballs and turning them into football machines.....or murderous tight ends. :laughings:

They specialize in taking fringe goofballs and turning them into football machines.....or murderous tight ends. :laughings:

Ha! True...but it's nice to see that, unlike the Ravens, they have zero tolerance for murder. They cut Hernandez loose before he was even charged.

Football was made for television from a viewing standpoint, a lot of people don't like going to games because the action is too hard to follow.

Ha! True...but it's nice to see that, unlike the Ravens, they have zero tolerance for murder. They cut Hernandez loose before he was even charged.
He was a punk ass at Florida too. I'm surprised to took this long to catch up to him.

Football was made for television from a viewing standpoint, a lot of people don't like going to games because the action is too hard to follow.
I prefer to watch it on TV. Since high-def became the norm, it's way better than being at the game....if you want to actually see what's happening. You go to games for the atmosphere, you watch on TV to actually see the game.

Hockey is an obvious exception. You HAVE to see hockey live to really appreciate it. That shit is bad ass.

well, um, I played little league baseball...

Me too, for one day. Then I quit.

About 5 years ago I played a lot of softball. Beer league softball is fun. One of the teams I was on was this church league, and our team was full of ex college baseball players and a few of them played actual minor league baseball. So naturally they bashed every fucking pitch about 900 miles out of the park. It was insane. I knew one of the guys and he got me on the team. I was by far the worst player. I didn't care. They didn't care. They could play with only half the team and still slaughter whoever they played. It was fun beating the other teams literally by 30-40 runs. We went a full calendar year without ever losing a game. Our first loss was to another team that got put together full of ex ball players. Then the church league kicked both of our teams out.

Haha, they stuck me waaaaay out in left field. Nothing ever came out there and I stopped paying attention. One day I was spacing out looking at trees or some shit and the ball smacked me in the face and broke my nose. For some reason I still kept showing up. :laughings:

Back