I'm ready for some football.

Damn that was a beatdown last night. The Ravens got shafted hard.
lol ....... I hate the Ravens so I didn't think I'd watch much of it but as the beat down grew I got more glued to the set. The best part was watching Harbaugh try to keep his head from exploding!
:laughings:

lol ....... I hate the Ravens so I didn't think I'd watch much of it but as the beat down grew I got more glued to the set. The best part was watching Harbaugh try to keep his head from exploding!
:laughings:

Lol. Why do you hate the Ravens? I've never had any strong opinion of them one way or the other.

Saints vs Falcons this sunday. Big, big divisional game at home in The Dome. The Falcons....now that's a team I hate with a deep italian passion.

The NCAA should grow a pair and take charge of...the NCAA. IMO, football scheduling should be up to the NCAA, not the schools. Big schools are taking advantage of smaller schools and working their schedules strategically so that the smaller schools have no shot.

If it were up to me I would seek to regularize strength of schedule across all schools to the maximum extent. If a school loses all the time, get 'em out of division 1 ball.

The SEC dominates because they work together strategically to eliminate other teams' chances at a championship. Florida's championship a few years back was a farce because Utah State was undefeated and Florida lost to Alabama. Utah State then trounced Alabama in their bowl game. They were the best team. Nobody beat them. But somehow Florida wins the championship? Eff that. They gamed the system.

The NCAA should grow a pair and take charge of...the NCAA. IMO, football scheduling should be up to the NCAA, not the schools. Big schools are taking advantage of smaller schools and working their schedules strategically so that the smaller schools have no shot.
Those smaller schools that get smashed by the bigger schools voluntarily accept those games. No one is forcing them to take that beating. When an Alabama hosts Western Wyoming Barber School and beats them 246-0, that little barber school collects sometimes $500,000 or more. Bama asks them to come on down, take your whooping, and we'll pay you a big ol chunk of money. It behooves these smaller, less financially well-off schools to take one for the team. And every now and then, 7 times so far this season, those little underdogs smack the big guy in the mouth, win the game, and run off with the money.

The SEC dominates because they work together strategically to eliminate other teams' chances at a championship. Florida's championship a few years back was a farce because Utah State was undefeated and Florida lost to Alabama. Utah State then trounced Alabama in their bowl game. They were the best team. Nobody beat them. But somehow Florida wins the championship? Eff that. They gamed the system.

There's two problems with that anti-logic....winning and losing is not linear like that. Just because Team A beats Team B and then loses to Team C, that doesn't mean that Team C is better than all of them. Team B and Team C never played. And being undefeated doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't play anyone. Hawaii went undefeated a few years ago, feasting on a cupcake schedule of nothings and nobodies, and got totally ass-raped by Georgia (2 losses) in the Sugar Bowl. Georgia was clearly the way better team, even though they had 2 losses. Those 2 losses happened because they play a tougher schedule.

Those smaller schools that get smashed by the bigger schools voluntarily accept those games. No one is forcing them to take that beating. When an Alabama hosts Western Wyoming Barber School and beats them 246-0, that little barber school collects sometimes $500,000 or more. Bama asks them to come on down, take your whooping, and we'll pay you a big ol chunk of money. It behooves these smaller, less financially well-off schools to take one for the team. And every now and then, 7 times so far this season, those little underdogs smack the big guy in the mouth, win the game, and run off with the money.

Yeah but they don't usually get a home and home, which is lopsided, unfair, and lame.

There's two problems with that anti-logic....winning and losing is not linear like that. Just because Team A beats Team B and then loses to Team C, that doesn't mean that Team C is better than all of them. Team B and Team C never played. And being undefeated doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't play anyone.

When Utah state won their championship that was stolen by the BCS and awarded to FLA, they beat just as many top 25 schools as FLA. Sure it was BYU and TCU, but those programs were freakin good that year. They also beat Michigan. And they took a total dump on Alabama in their bowl game. And unlike FLA, they never lost - let alone to a 4 loss Ole Miss team.

Greg L said:
Hawaii went undefeated a few years ago, feasting on a cupcake schedule of nothings and nobodies, and got totally ass-raped by Georgia (2 losses) in the Sugar Bowl. Georgia was clearly the way better team, even though they had 2 losses. Those 2 losses happened because they play a tougher schedule

That's part of why I think the NCAA should step in and make sure strength of schedules are equalized more than they are right now. Otherwise those kids at Hawaii just don't even have a chance no matter what they do. They should never have had that cupcake schedule in the first place.

Utah was very good that year. I'm not disputing that. But better than Florida? No. All we have to go on is their schedules and records. I'm looking at their schedules right now.....Utah had a better overall record, but against a much softer schedule. Utah's schedule was mostly a joke. Florida's schedule was way tougher, and their one loss was by one point, early in the season, to a conference rival. Utah eked out a few close wins against marginally ranked opponents. Utah beat .......
#24 Michigan 25-23. Close game.
#11 TCU 13-10. Close game.
#14 BYU 48-24. Beatdown.
#4 Bama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl.
Not bad at all. But let's look at Florida.....

Florida literally demolished very high ranking opponents. Their margin of victory was way into the double digits with every win. Florida beat...
my #4 LSU Tigers 51-21. Beatdown. :(
#8 Georgia 49-10. Beatdown.
#24 S Carolina 56-6. This game tells the story. South Carolina was ranked roughly the same as Michigan was when Utah beat them, and Florida hung fucking 56 on their asses and won by half-a-hundred. Yikes. Then Florida beat....
#23 Fl St 45-15.
#1 Bama 31-20 in the SEC championship game. Then, after all that, they beat....
#2 Oklahoma 24-14 for all the marbles. National Champions. Tim Tebow rides off into the sunset with a Heisman and two championships..

Florida beat much bigger, better, well equipped programs and by more points than Utah did with their schedule. Utah can't touch that body of work.

Utah was very good that year. I'm not disputing that. But better than Florida? No. All we have to go on is their schedules and records. I'm looking at their schedules right now.....Utah had a better overall record, but against a much softer schedule. Utah's schedule was mostly a joke. Florida's schedule was way tougher, and their one loss was by one point, early in the season, to a conference rival. Utah eked out a few close wins against marginally ranked opponents. Utah beat .......
#24 Michigan 25-23. Close game.
#11 TCU 13-10. Close game.
#14 BYU 48-24. Beatdown.
#4 Bama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl.
Not bad at all. But let's look at Florida.....

Florida literally demolished very high ranking opponents. Their margin of victory was way into the double digits with every win. Florida beat...
my #4 LSU Tigers 51-21. Beatdown. :(
#8 Georgia 49-10. Beatdown.
#24 S Carolina 56-6. This game tells the story. South Carolina was ranked roughly the same as Michigan was when Utah beat them, and Florida hung fucking 56 on their asses and won by half-a-hundred. Yikes. Then Florida beat....
#23 Fl St 45-15.
#1 Bama 31-20 in the SEC championship game. Then, after all that, they beat....
#2 Oklahoma 24-14 for all the marbles. National Champions. Tim Tebow rides off into the sunset.

Utah can't touch that body of work.

Most of those teams were overrated when FLA played them. LSU at #4 my ass. LSU lost 5 games in 2008. The tail of the season showed how good they were. At the end of the season they weren't ranked. According to the final season rankings, Utah beat 3 top 25 schools and FLA beat 4.

Georgia was #13 at the end of the year.
South Carolina was not ranked at all at the end of the year.
FSU was #21
Alabama was #6
Oklahoma was #5

That's four teams.

Utah beat
#6 Alabama
#25 BYU
#7 TCU
turns out Michigan was garbage LOL. But Utah never lost. That should count for a lot.

SEC teams manhandled those gimmicky bitches too. :laughings:
Won at Tennessee, 48-13, in 2010.
Lost to Auburn in the Nat. Championship, 22-19, in 2010.
Lost to LSU, 40-27, in 2011.

I would call that one bad game. but yes, SEC does own the ducks (so far).

Most of those teams were overrated when FLA played them. LSU at #4 my ass. LSU lost 5 games in 2008. The tail of the season showed how good they were. At the end of the season they weren't ranked. According to the final season rankings, Utah beat 3 top 25 schools and FLA beat 4.

Georgia was #13 at the end of the year.
South Carolina was not ranked at all at the end of the year.
FSU was #21
Alabama was #6
Oklahoma was #5

That's four teams.

Utah beat
#6 Alabama
#25 BYU
#7 TCU
turns out Michigan was garbage LOL. But Utah never lost. That should count for a lot.

Hawaii didn't lose either. Until they played Georgia......

I agree that how a team ends up is important, but where they are at the time counts just as much. And the way things are ranked and figured, a win against a team that lost 5 times doesn't amount for much at the end of the season. So Florida's win against LSU was diminished by the end of that season, but it still happened, and LSU was #4 at the time. That counts.

You can move the goalposts and twist your argument all you want, pun intended, but the actual proof is there. Florida beat better teams by a wider margin than Utah did. Florida was obviously the better team that year. I'm sure Utah appreciates your support though. How have they been doing since then? :laughings:

Won at Tennessee, 48-13, in 2010.
Lost to Auburn in the Nat. Championship, 22-19, in 2010.
Lost to LSU, 40-27, in 2011.

I would call that one bad game. but yes, SEC does own the ducks (so far).

I was actually pulling for Oregon against Auburn, and I'm an admitted SEC honk. I hate sCam Newton to this day. But I was really happy to watch my tigers eat some ducks. :D

LSU was definitely the better team that day.

Hopefully we'll meet you or bama in the natty.

You never know. The SEC's reign has to end one of these days. I don't think my LSU Tigers have what it takes this season. They looked good against TCU, and will probably have a decent season, but the defense is very, very young. We lost a lot of defense straight to the NFL. I'm curious as to how long Oregon can hold on without Chip Kelly.

You can move the goalposts and twist your argument all you want, pun intended, but the actual proof is there. Florida beat better teams by a wider margin than Utah did. Florida was obviously the better team that year. I'm sure Utah appreciates your support though. How have they been doing since then? :laughings:

Well it's pretty freakin hard to recruit kids when the BCS proves that no matter how good Utah is, they will never have a chance at a championship. If the metric is: beating 3 top 25 teams and going undefeated is not enough, then you've just eliminated 60% of the division 1 schools from contention. The playoff will help to a degree. I think the smaller programs should at least have a chance. The SEC is working to make sure they don't. That's just plain shitty.

I am wondering how long Oregon can remain at the top too. I think they might be able to keep what they got going, they continue to recruit fairly well. But i think Oregon looks to be not be letting up anytime soon.

However it will take a lot more W's against top rated teams in games that count for Oregon to get status of established programs.

Well it's pretty freakin hard to recruit kids when the BCS proves that no matter how good Utah is, they will never have a chance at a championship. If the metric is: beating 3 top 25 teams and going undefeated is not enough, then you've just eliminated 60% of the division 1 schools from contention. The playoff will help to a degree. I think the smaller programs should at least have a chance. The SEC is working to make sure they don't. That's just plain shitty.

So you want to blame the SEC and the BCS for Utah's weak schedule? That's idiotic. Okay, they barely beat a few ranked teams. They also played some real shmoes. Were you crying for Auburn when they went undefeated in the SEC and got left out of the big game? The BCS is a trainwreck for sure, but one thing it does do well is determine strength of schedule. Where it fails is the eyeball test. Teams in the Pac-12, Big-10, ACC, Big-12, etc don't go after good players? Kids willingly ride the bench just to wear a USC uniform. That Jameis Winston freshman kid at Florida St, all he wanted to do was go play at Texas. They didn't even give him a whiff. Did you see him play the other day? Kid lit it up bigtime. If he keeps tearing up defenses, someone at Texas is gonna get fired over it. The simple truth is that the elite blue-chip recruits don't want to play at the Utahs of the NCAA. This isn't some recent phenomenon. No high school superstar has ever said "man I can't wait to suit up for Western Kentucky!" Nope. Kids that are exceptionally good go to the big programs because that's where the action is. Kids that aren't go everywhere else. For the vast majority of Div 1 players, college ball is the last stop, and for many of them just playing anywhere is good enough. But for the great ones, they go to the big programs where they can be seen regularly and have a better shot at the NFL. The NFL knows what's up. Pro teams pluck great players from the smaller schools all the time. Jerry Rice, the greatest WR ever, Mississippi Valley State. Wait, where? Joe Flacco, the current superbowl champ QB and highest paid player in the NFL - Delaware - a Div 1-AA school. In this world there are haves and have-nots. Same with football teams. Blaming one conference is stupid. Any other conference in the country would give anything to be in the SEC's position. The SEC is dominant because of geography and demographics. People in the south love football. They support it rabidly. The gulf coast region breeds football players. That's all kids wanna do in the south. Play football. They get good at it, and they want to stay home when it comes time to go to college. The up-and-coming high school kids in the south see tons of southern born players in the NFL, and they see Auburn, Bama, LSU, Florida, Texas, Miami, Florida State, etc winning championships and say "I wanna go there". It's really easy to stop the SEC's championship dominance - just beat them when it counts the most. No one's done that for going on 8 years now.

As for a playoff system, I'm totally all for it, but it's going to be as screwed up as the BCS because it's a fucking committee of humans picking the 4 teams. How can that not get messed up? I think they should keep the BCS system around just to rank the teams, and whoever the top 8 are at the end of the year, they go play a tournament. No conference affiliations, no this bowl gets this team, no tie ins, just seed them 1-8. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, and so on until we have a true undeniable national champion.

I am wondering how long Oregon can remain at the top too. I think they might be able to keep what they got going, they continue to recruit fairly well. But i think Oregon looks to be not be letting up anytime soon.

However it will take a lot more W's against top rated teams in games that count for Oregon to get status of established programs.

Oregon is already there. No one scoffs at Oregon. No they haven't won a championship, but they're right there, every year for the past decade. No one ever wants to play them. That's an elite program. And one thing they really have going for them is style. The crazy uniforms, Nike's financial backing, the flash, Oregon is hip and current. Young black kids love that shit. It's been good for college football to have teams like Oregon step into the national spotlight. I'd rather watch Oregon over any Big-10 snoozefest any day.

Back