I'm ready for some football.

I prefer to watch it on TV. Since high-def became the norm, it's way better than being at the game....if you want to actually see what's happening. You go to games for the atmosphere, you watch on TV to actually see the game.

Hockey is an obvious exception. You HAVE to see hockey live to really appreciate it. That shit is bad ass.

I'm the same exact way. While I love baseball and football, I actually follow the game better on TV. I'm not a natural jock (never played), so I benefit from the replays and the commentary. (And the beer is cheaper at my house than the stadium.) But I still go to games for the energy and the environment--in fact I'm going to see the Cards again tonight. But with hockey, there's no comparison--the live experience is way better, even with the lack of replays and commentary.

In fact, I have a small season ticket package for the Cardinals, but if I ever went whole-hog and bought a full season, it would probably be for hockey not baseball. It's just a blast being in the arena for those games.

I'm the same exact way. While I love baseball and football, I actually follow the game better on TV. I'm not a natural jock (never played), so I benefit from the replays and the commentary. (And the beer is cheaper at my house than the stadium.) But I still go to games for the energy and the environment--in fact I'm going to see the Cards again tonight. But with hockey, there's no comparison--the live experience is way better, even with the lack of replays and commentary.

In fact, I have a small season ticket package for the Cardinals, but if I ever went whole-hog and bought a full season, it would probably be for hockey not baseball. It's just a blast being in the arena for those games.

We have a minor league (AHL) hockey team here in Houston called the Aeros. They're a farm-club affiliate of the Minnesota Wild. They used to be partnered up with the Dallas Stars, but I don't know what happened. It's the Wild now. Anyway, those games are a BLAST! I love going to Aeros games. The tickets are cheap and the action is good. I used to carry season tickets to those games, but for some reason I just never renewed. I need to start going again. Fun stuff. They're the only Houston team I support. Well, I like the Astros too, but they're fucking horrible. I can't stand to watch them anymore. I've never in my life seen such a horrible pitching rotation and bullpen. They'll jump out to like a 6-2 lead in the early innings, and give it all back once the bullpen comes in. Pathetic. I miss the Bagwell/Biggio days. Those were good times for the Astros.

We have a minor league (AHL) hockey team here in Houston called the Aeros. They're a farm-club affiliate of the Minnesota Wild. They used to be partnered up with the Dallas Stars, but I don't know what happened. It's the Wild now. Anyway, those games are a BLAST! I love going to Aeros games. The tickets are cheap and the action is good. I used to carry season tickets to those games, but for some reason I just never renewed. I need to start going again. Fun stuff. They're the only Houston team I support. Well, I like the Astros too, but they're fucking horrible. I can't stand to watch them anymore. I've never in my life seen such a horrible pitching rotation and bullpen. They'll jump out to like a 6-2 lead in the early innings, and give it all back once the bullpen comes in. Pathetic. I miss the Bagwell/Biggio days. Those were good times for the Astros.

I don't know if you know this, but I'm in media/marketing (a really vague description, I know). I once owned my own ad agency and design firm, and an old boss of mine ended up as the lead investor in a minor league hockey team here in the St. Louis area.

He contracted with my little company for all their print material--schedules, programs, promos, etc. I told him we couldn't do it free, but we'd do it cheap. Problem is he didn't want his marketing campaigns to look cheap. So we split the difference with VIP season box seats.

It was only the minor leagues, but we loved it! My kids didn't know the difference between the St. Louis Sting and the St. Louis Blues--they had a blast and thought I was a big shot. We went to every game. My youngest is now 22, and just last week I found a couple hockey sticks of his buried in the basement--they were autographed game-played sticks from the "Sting." Those players are probably selling used cars now, but it's still cool memories!

I don't know if any of you couch potatoes watched the opening college games last night, but that Ole Miss v Vanderbilt game was fucking killer!

I also watched South Carolina play North Carolina until the lightning delay. With all the hype around Jadeveon Clowney all summer, he sure was ineffective last night. You'd think a player projected to go #1 in the NFL Draft next year would not be gassed by the 2nd quarter. Beast of a player, but he was sucking wind hard all night. That's pretty common in SEC country in August - it's like 110 degrees on the field. But still, I was surprised.

Well I started watching this morning around 9 am. College Game-Day on ESPN. Here it is 10 hours and 13 minutes later, I'm still watching. I watched Tex A&M vs Rice - yawn. A little of Miss St vs Ok St. Watching Bama beat the shit out of Va Tech right now. LSU coming up in 45 minutes! Geaux Tigers!

Well I started watching this morning around 9 am. College Game-Day on ESPN. Here it is 10 hours and 13 minutes later, I'm still watching. I watched Tex A&M vs Rice - yawn. A little of Miss St vs Ok St. Watching Bama beat the shit out of Va Tech right now. LSU coming up in 45 minutes! Geaux Tigers!

LSU will be coming to the frozen tundra in 2016.

I'm on my laptop watching multiple games on the TV as my son flips through channels. That's power time wasting.

I'm shocked that the Packers cut Vince Young, they have nothing at QB after Rodgers and their offensive line is w e a k as in very.
I'm looking forward to the NFL as usual, but I can't truthfully say I have a lot of hope for the Packers this year.:(

Hook 'Em Horns. 715 yards of offense; 343 in the air. 56-7. But against New Mexico, isn't that a high school team??

Couldn't watch the game, my cable company doesn't carry the Longhorns network. :wtf:

Stuff like "The Longhorn Network" is why pretty much everyone outside of Austin hates the Longhorns. They're the Dallas Cowboys/NY Yankees of college football - smug and douchey. :laughings:

What's really weird is that as UT slips out of national relevance, they get this big giant TV deal. It's got to burn up the Longhorn faithful that their ugly little brother - Texas A&M - slips out to a much better conference, gets much better exposure, and plays much better football against much better competition.

I know. I was reading up on the whole conference quandary a few days ago. I never really followed it too closely before. The Big 12 has a few good teams, but all the good ones went elsewhere. SEC is where the action is.

I personally think the whole system needs restructuring, but that ain't gonna happen because of television coverage. All the conferences are based on TV contracts instead of competition. That sucks big ballooies. And you can quote me.

That sucks big ballooies.
there did it for ya!! :D

The SEC is a close-knit family of teams that hate each other but we usually pull for each other when playing an outsider. Conference affiliation is a big deal in the SEC. On the national level, everyone outside of the SEC hates the SEC because the top dogs in the SEC regularly trounce everyone else. The last 7 national champions have come from the SEC, and there's no sign of letting up. People get sick of dominance. Football is king in the south and SEC schools have a very large pool of talent to pick from and keep everyone at home. Look at the rosters. Most of the top SEC teams are full of homegrown talent. Me being an LSU guy and LSU being a key player in the SEC, it's fun to have my team always in the national spotlight. It's fun to be on the receiving end of hate and jealousy. Hey Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, ACC, etc....STFU and quit whining until you beat an SEC team in a game that really matters. You've had many chances, you always fail. :laughings:

The SEC is a close-knit family of teams that hate each other but we usually pull for each other when playing an outsider. Conference affiliation is a big deal in the SEC. On the national level, everyone outside of the SEC hates the SEC because the top dogs in the SEC regularly trounce everyone else. The last 7 national champions have come from the SEC, and there's no sign of letting up. People get sick of dominance. Football is king in the south and SEC schools have a very large pool of talent to pick from and keep everyone at home. Look at the rosters. Most of the top SEC teams are full of homegrown talent. Me being an LSU guy and LSU being a key player in the SEC, it's fun to have my team always in the national spotlight. It's fun to be on the receiving end of hate and jealousy. Hey Big 12, Pac 12, Big 10, ACC, etc....STFU and quit whining until you beat an SEC team in a game that really matters. You've had many chances, you always fail. :laughings:

Oops, :o didn't mean to stoke the fire. LOL.... :D

Back