Greatest Singer of All Time?

swelle said:
Tim Hardin - Richard Manuel - Scott Walker - Ray Charles

Well, that's the guys, anyway.

Richard Manuel is definately worth mentioning. That guy was freaking amazing. He's one of those dudes whose voice isn't really that amazing but he has absolute control over what he can(could) do with it. The beginning of "Tura Lura Lural"(really the entire song) from the 'Last Waltz' is some of the most amazing singing you'll ever hear. Also "Sleeping" off of 'Stage Fright' and "Tears Of Rage" off of 'Music From Big Pink" and....Hell! Just about everything he ever sang is fantastic. Still, if we could ask him, I'm sure he would agree that no one can touch Ray Charles or Sam Cooke or any of those guys who were his heroes. But, for a white guy, he's as good as it gets. (I'm sure that will upset someone. Sorry.)

My Favorite Singers

In no particular order:

Elvis Presley
Roy Orbison
Sam Cooke
Judy Garland
Hank Williams (Sr., of course)
Jimmie Rodgers
Frank Sinatra
Billie Holiday
Buck Owens (check him out if you don't know him)

Bob Dylan (Yes, Bob Dylan)

I noticed Bono is on a lot of people's list. To me, he's the worst sort of singer...Hey look-at-me type of singing. Singing that's about the singer instead of the song.

Bob Dylan is a fantastic singer at times. So, his pitch is often iffy but he sings with feeling. And sometimes he can sing like nobody can. Listen to how long he holds the big note on "It take a lot to laugh, It takes a train to cry," from Highway 61 Revisited. Wow!!

What I like is a singer whose voice has a type of sonority and easy accuracy that makes it come across as, in effect, an instrument. On top of that, they're expressive, even charismatic, without resorting to artificiality. So a few that come immediately to mind are, not in any particular order:

Ella
Nat Cole
Pavarotti
Allison Kraus
Sarah McLachlan

Tim

sorry,
as far as sheer vocal talent, with all else aside.
i have to say...

michael jackson. :mad:

but my favorite is david bowie all the way.

Thorguitarist said:
Defenatly Freddie Mercury, also Jon Anderson of Yes...Omg what a great voice!

WTF ??? Jon Anderson? Are you high? He sounds like he's 12.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I can't believe no one had mentioned Elvis so far.

As far as personal favorite, I'd have to go with Lennon.

The correct answer is:

Bing Crosby

... who did more to advance the stature of the headlining vocalist (there was no such thing until he came along), as well as influence microphone and recording technology, than any other entertainer bar none.

.....uhhhh.......Joni Mitchell?
.....Jon Hendricks?
...Sarah Vaughan?

.....and a buncha the people you folks already said.....

Robert Plant? Are you all kidding me? Zepplin wrote absolutely wonderful material, but he sang it out of tune ON THEIR RECORDS! Yes he had attitude and mojo out the ying yang, great front man maybe, but greatest singer? If you can't get it in tune with multiple takes in a studio, you don't get to even look at this list. Bash me all you want, out of tune notes don't lie...

But what do I know, my vote is for Stevie Nicks. :)

i hear ya man...Plant...me not thinkin' so...as for "George"..is that George Michael I hear a vote for.

He certainly can carry a tune.

here are some cool folks whose vocal style really are distinct

Robert Wyatt (the guy that Thom Yorke tries so hard to sound like)
Blossom Dearie
Madeline Peyroux

Some obvious
Sinatra - dude could sing
Lady Day - I even like her final years voice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Carr - the greatest soul/r&b voice to ever come out of a human.

Surprised no one has said Bjork.

And - Clapton, Mark Knopfler, and Norah Jones and every other laid back singer out there needs to be sending checks to JJ Cale.

Wow, I'm with Village Idiot. You need to think outside the rock box.
Aretha Franklin
Freddie Mercury
David Wilcox
Enrico Caruso
Ella Fitzgerald
Beverly Sills
Charlotte Church
Jim Morrison
Whitney Houston
Dolly Parton
Garth Brooks
Andy M. Stewart