Greatest Singer of All Time?

cjacek said:
Celine Dion is very talented and has a well trained voice but for some reason her "tone" irritates me. Not as bad as Anne Murray tho :eek: ;) .
I gotta agree with you on this one, I'd rather listen to the Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas Tape from when I was a kid than listen to Anne Murray.

Jeff Buckley and Mike Patton are my two favourite singers.

Then theres Freddie Mercury, Jon Anderson, Thom Yorke... all brilliant.

Rock

Plant, Paul Rogers, Geoff Tate

Plant had balls, Rogers had soul, and Geoff tate has it all, range power and presence.

Paul G.

Jon Anderson's voice technique at 60 years old is better than it was 30 years ago. Compare Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall to a couple or so years later at MSG - talk about wear and tear! I hear Paul Rogers still has the magic, as does Rod Stewart. All the old farts, I know, but I chose a 'longevity' aspect.

But yeah, Jeff Buckley - his rendition of Hallelujah put him in a context all by itself - like Ella Fitzgerald and Robert Plant rolled into one! If only he'd had the chance to become an old fart, he'd still be doing some amazing stuff, I'm sure.

I may have overlooked it but, I don't think, and can't believe no one's said Aretha Franklin yet.

anyway, SOME great voices that I can think of off of the top of my head are:

-Nicky Hopkins -( I think that's his name, he sings "Fooled around and fell in Love" for Elvin Bishop and "Jane" and "Save Your Love" Starship)

-Aretha Franklin

-Whitney Houston (I didn't say I liked her music)

- Leanne Rynes ( whatever her name is)

- James Brown ( It's a man's world, Come on, this cat's wailin' on that track)

- Big Mama Thorton

-Robert Plant

- (singer for) Soundgarden and Audioslave, I'm drawing a blank on his name for some reason.

- Sheryl Crow

-Patsy Cliene

and here are some of my personal favs, (not necessarily great voices, I just like the way they sing):

--Dr. John

--John Lee Hooker

-- Gregg Allman

-- Juvenille ( I think this dude has a great voice, I'd love to hear him sing some reggae, or just sing something, period)

Oh well, I know I'm forgetting about a million people so, there's my short list.

Maynard James Keenan is something. As far as that sort of thing goes, James Hetfield deserves some credit for what he was in the late 80s to the late 90s. In the late 80s he reached near perfection for a rock/metal singer, and after blowing out his voice a few years later, he managed to readjust his voice to near-perfection by 1999. Too bad it didn't last, and he sucks now.

I would say that my favorite singers are:

Mick Jagger
Robert Plant
Freddie Mercury

And some names that i have not seen so far on the list are:

Rodger Daltery - The Who

Steve Marriott - The Small Faces

I think those two are great singers and have sung on some memorable tracks!! Anyone else agree?? :D

Ted Hawkins had a amazing voice... if you've not heard of him I can recommend him.... brilliant singer

Back