Greatest Singer of All Time?

nickjc

ok, so now this is the singer's forum, who's your favourite singer of all time?

couple of my favs, in no particular order:

Jeff Buckley - the man!!!!!!
Bono
Ryan Adams
Little Richard
John Lennon
The guy with the deep voice from Jurassic 5 - although I guess he's an MC, whatever.

hm...

Laura Branigan, Geoff Tate (queensryche)

bonnie Tyler has some husky quality i cant identify but like, makes the limited octave range not noticeable.

my theory: whats the point of having a gutar god and a drum hero, then go out and get a singer that sounds like what happens when i step on my cat? lol

I'm gonna have to agree with jeff buckley.
Maynard James Keenan is right under him though.

Robert Plant...Joe perry said "He had tar on his hands, and tar in his hair. But when he opened his mouth it was like a F%$&ing air-raid siren." Sorry Plants got the voice...or Peter Gabriel

bah!

Thorguitarist said:
Robert Plant...Joe perry said "He had tar on his hands, and tar in his hair. But when he opened his mouth it was like a F%$&ing air-raid siren." Sorry Plants got the voice...or Peter Gabriel

I'm sorry I just can't stand Peter Gabriel . . .

Good call on Robert Plant tho - one hell of an attitude in that voice . . .

Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Luciano Pavoratti...

You guys need to think outside the limited range/world of Rock...
You're not gonna find it there.

VI

How did Bono make the list? :confused:

I hope nobody say's S Tyler....if you can't do the national anthem justice you don't belong anywhere near this list.

I think you have to break it into Categories.

For Rock, I gotta go with Plant..

That's what I'm talkin bout, therage...

CATAGORIES:

Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald

Soul: Marvin Gaye

Blues: Who Cares (Kidding!) Buddy Guy

Gospel: Mahilia Jackson

Rap: Who Cares (Not Kidding!) They don't sing, they talk over stolen tunes

Pop: Tom Jones

Rock: Freddie Mercury

I'm usually really picky about vocalists, but I definitely cast another vote for Maynard...probably my favorite singer ever. He's an amazing lyricist too.
I also really like Kurt Elling, John Mayer, and dare I say it....Ewan McGreggor :eek:

When it comes to favorites i don't like to argue 'cause it's too subjective. BUt if we're talking strictly on talent/ability.........

Ella and noone else is even close.

Originally Posted by gumplunger
Oh gawd. I honestly don't see anything more in that guy than a mediocre rock singer/guitarist.

ack.. sorry to hear that dude. Maynard is out of his mind. My drummer actually wrote a song called "Maynard is super productive"... he's an odd fellow.

Anyway, The dude does some insane things with his voice that are most certainly not typical of modern rock singers. And he's in two bands at the same time.. how can you mess with that.

Freddie Mercury. Then come Paul Simon for poppy tunes (nice colored voice), Klaus Meine was the best for melodic hard rock, Andre Matos (from Angra, Shaman) is the best in metal. High pitched, perfectly trained and very beautiful voice! :) Ah, and I also like the guy from Pavlov's Dog, although you can't really say he has a good voice...

Who's the guy from Dishwalla? J.R. something. That guy sings like an angel - too bad he tries to look so tough, his voice just ruins his image, haha. I always say that if I could have anybody's voice, it would be his. Anyway, I'm sure he's not the greatest singer of all time - but my favorite. This topic greatly depends on what style you like.

Village Idiot said:
That's what I'm talkin bout, therage...

CATAGORIES:

Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald

Soul: Marvin Gaye

Blues: Who Cares (Kidding!) Buddy Guy

Gospel: Mahilia Jackson

Rap: Who Cares (Not Kidding!) They don't sing, they talk over stolen tunes

Pop: Tom Jones

Rock: Freddie Mercury

Defenatly Freddie Mercury, also Jon Anderson of Yes...Omg what a great voice!

Back