DAW Users With ADD

dachay2tnr said:
I'll have you know I've put in three grueling hours at my consulting job already this week... and it's only Tuesday. :eek:
You're working harder than when you used to work.

Are you sure that wasn't three drooling hours?

Work I am flying up to Scotland this afternoon for a meeting in Aberdeen and then home tomorrow. Dinner in a nice restaurant this evening with a colleague. Its a tough life :rolleyes:

Weather here is beautiful. :) Let's hope it lasts. :cool:

Okay guys, here is a track that my daughter, Becki, wrote for her best friend who lost her Father a few years back. Its called "My Friend"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/paulsmith/singles

Recorded at home last weekend, Sonar 6 PE, AT 4040 mic, Lexicon reverb, Waves Compresser, NI Akoustik Grand Piano, Atmosphere Warm Strings, Lounge Lizard Rhodes MkII electric piano.

I'll also post in the MP3 forum. Would appreciate any feeback. :)

Paul, I think that sounds really good....nice and clean mix. I'm on headphones, but the sounds are really nice. Voice is killer....really good.
Very pretty tune. :cool:

Dogman said:
Paul, I think that sounds really good....nice and clean mix. I'm on headphones, but the sounds are really nice. Voice is killer....really good.
Very pretty tune. :cool:
Thanks Dogman, I wanted a clear sound as I felt the 4040 was particularly helpful to her voice - gives it a natural lift at the high end. I used no EQ on this - I'm not sure it needs any? But I have yet to hear it on our big speakers at home yet.

The real experiment on this track was having a Rhodes piano and a Grand Piano triggered from the same midi. The piano on its own sounded "lost" and the Rhodes on its own was too cheesy but mixed together, they seem to work okay - or they do to my ears.

Paul881 said:
Okay guys, here is a track that my daughter, Becki, wrote for her best friend who lost her Father a few years back. Its called "My Friend"

Recorded at home last weekend, Sonar 6 PE, AT 4040 mic, Lexicon reverb, Waves Compresser, NI Akoustik Grand Piano, Atmosphere Warm Strings, Lounge Lizard Rhodes MkII electric piano.

Paul - listening on computer speakers, so I won't comment on the quality. As such, my thoughts are as follows:
- I've said this before, your daughter has tremendous emotion in her voice. Killer.
- I thought the vocal was a little low in the mix. I would bring it up a bit.
- Piano playing sounds a little "choppy" to me in parts. Was this played, or programmed?
- The song, to me, could use more of a build as it progresses. I want to hear more instruments brought in as it goes along. Maybe start bringing in drums and a bass somewhere around the 1:00 mark, and fully in around 1:20.

Good stuff. :D

I really like this but I think the vocal needs to be more upfront.Your daughter is sharing the stage with the instruments,they need to be backing her up,she's the star.I'm not sure if it's a volume or EQ thing.
I'll let my wife have a listen to this also.
Did your daughter compose the music too?

Tomorrow is Friday.....

LATER!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will take your comments on board and have a go at the mix again when I get back from Scotland.

The piano is choppy because Becki is not really known for her piano skills - if you know any k/b player who could improve what she did who would be willing to do a retake or polish up the midi, please let me know. And yes, AR, she also wrote the music :) Talented...just like her Mom :(

Mike, understand what you are saying with the drums - do you reckon Vic the drum might be willing and able to have a go at laying a drum track down?Doesn't matter if he can't, I'm just curious as to what a drummer would do with it.

Becki is having a terrible time at the moment choosing her next step - Business Studies/Marketing at University or trying to make it as a singer. Her Mom and I have told her that only she can make that decision, we can't, but we will support her whatever she decides.

And tomorrow really is Friday!!!! :cool:

Dogman, keep those lovely pictures coming.

As I look out on a very grey and overcast Aberdeen with light drizzle in the air, I need a different view to remind me what I am missing :cool:

Paul881 said:

Hey Paul,

Beautiful song, I listened on my computer speakers so I also can't comment on the mix in too much detail. I agree with dachay in the comment about slowly introducing some electric guitars and drums later in the piece to give it a climatic section and then finish up like it does.

Very nice piece. The vocals quiver a little here and there but no biggy, the voice is beautiful. Nice work! :)

Gorty said:
Hey Paul,

Beautiful song, I listened on my computer speakers so I also can't comment on the mix in too much detail. I agree with dachay in the comment about slowly introducing some electric guitars and drums later in the piece to give it a climatic section and then finish up like it does.

Very nice piece. The vocals quiver a little here and there but no biggy, the voice is beautiful. Nice work! :)
Thanks Gorty, I will see what I can conjure up in the way of some instruments to build the piece when I get back home ;)
:)

Paul881 said:
Dogman, keep those lovely pictures coming.

As I look out on a very grey and overcast Aberdeen with light drizzle in the air, I need a different view to remind me what I am missing :cool:
It's been really windy here...about 25mph. It was snowig yesterday, and just miserable from the wind. Sun is out today. Still really windy, but I'll try and snag a few more pics. :D

Paul881 said:
Mike, understand what you are saying with the drums - do you reckon Vic the drum might be willing and able to have a go at laying a drum track down?
Paul - certainly a possibility, and I can ask. However, are you planning to add an electric guitar or any other instruments? I know Vic pretty well, and if you will be adding other things, he is going to want to wait until they are in the mix before adding the drums.

BTW, not critical, but was this done to a click track?

dachay2tnr said:
Paul - certainly a possibility, and I can ask. However, are you planning to add an electric guitar or any other instruments? I know Vic pretty well, and if you will be adding other things, he is going to want to wait until they are in the mix before adding the drums.

BTW, not critical, but was this done to a click track?

I don't think I can add anything to this - I have tried guitar and it sounds naff - whatever style of tone I use. I just can't get past a "big" production number - piano and strings. Its a mental block. :confused:

And here is the latest breaking news:

Becki went back to College in London yesterday and went to an audition for new unsigned talent that the college was sponsoring.

She sang U2's "With or Without You" plus a James Morrison number. They asked her if she writes her own material and she said yes - and played piano and sang "My Friend" for them. At this, Becki said they suddenly became very interested and asked her if she had any more and of course she said yes and whether she had signed the rights to the song to anyone.

They asked and got her contact details and Becki said the head honcho of the company doing the auditions walked out with her and clearly was very interested in talking to her further. Watch this space :)

Back