DAW Users With ADD

Paul881 said:
I don't think I can add anything to this - I have tried guitar and it sounds naff - whatever style of tone I use. I just can't get past a "big" production number - piano and strings. Its a mental block. :confused:
I'll check with Vic and let you know. However, to me, the song needs a "build" - otherwise it doesn't seem to go anywhere - and I don't think the drums can do it alone. But I'll see if Vic will give it a go.

You didn't tell me if this was done to a click.

dachay2tnr said:
I'll check with Vic and let you know. However, to me, the song needs a "build" - otherwise it doesn't seem to go anywhere - and I don't think the drums can do it alone. But I'll see if Vic will give it a go.

You didn't tell me if this was done to a click.

Sorry Mike, no it wasn't done to a click because the song had "feeling" and slowed down at times to emphasise the pathos more...or, that was the plan :rolleyes:

I think you are right, it does need some more build but with strings, not guitar. If Vic is willing, let me have a play around with it over the weekend and if he agrees, well keep him for last play. I would be interested to hear his views on how he would play this one. :)

Paul881 said:
I don't think I can add anything to this - I have tried guitar and it sounds naff - whatever style of tone I use. I just can't get past a "big" production number - piano and strings. Its a mental block. :confused:

And here is the latest breaking news:

Becki went back to College in London yesterday and went to an audition for new unsigned talent that the college was sponsoring.

She sang U2's "With or Without You" plus a James Morrison number. They asked her if she writes her own material and she said yes - and played piano and sang "My Friend" for them. At this, Becki said they suddenly became very interested and asked her if she had any more and of course she said yes and whether she had signed the rights to the song to anyone.

They asked and got her contact details and Becki said the head honcho of the company doing the auditions walked out with her and clearly was very interested in talking to her further. Watch this space :)

Sounds promising! :)

It's Friday!!!!!

They asked and got her contact details and Becki said the head honcho of the company doing the auditions walked out with her and clearly was very interested in talking to her further. Watch this space
Ask your daughter if she's going to need any roadies,a tour bus driver or security.I'm looking to change careers and that's the only way I'm going to get a job in the music industry. ;)

I hope everyone wasn't too brutal on your daughters MP3,it's really good,but I think that the bar is higher for her.
My comment was based more on my personal tastes,I'm a in your face vocals kind of guy,that's what I was brought up on.

It's been really windy here...about 25mph. It was snowig yesterday, and just miserable from the wind. Sun is out today. Still really windy, but I'll try and snag a few more pics.
You need to move to beautiful,sunny Wisconsin.

LATER!!!

acidrock said:
It's Friday!!!!!

Ask your daughter if she's going to need any roadies,a tour bus driver or security.I'm looking to change careers and that's the only way I'm going to get a job in the music industry. ;)

I hope everyone wasn't too brutal on your daughters MP3,it's really good,but I think that the bar is higher for her.
My comment was based more on my personal tastes,I'm a in your face vocals kind of guy,that's what I was brought up on.

You need to move to beautiful,sunny Wisconsin.

LATER!!!

I'll be sure to let her know - although I think I might be ahead of you in the queue! ;) And no, the comments back were mainly about the mix, not her voice and they were right. I increased the vocal by 3db and compressed it aa little more and I believe it is about right now, so I need to repost it.

Weather here is misty hazy sunshine and cool. :cool:

Paul881 said:
. I increased the vocal by 3db and compressed it aa little more and I believe it is about right now, so I need to repost it.

:

Hmmmm,maybe what we need here is another MP3 challenge. :cool:

Got home last night and had some goodies waiting for me - a new Radeon 9550 256meg video card and I Gig RAM. Fitted them and the difference is unbelievable-no more jerky Vsti's and frozen screens. Programme loading is also quicker. :)

Happiness is a PC that works smoothly :cool:

acidrock said:
AR seems to have most of the positions covered. However, if she happens to need a sycophant or general hanger-oner - well, then I'm her man. :D

dachay2tnr said:
However, if she happens to need a sycophant or general hanger-oner - well, then I'm her man. :D

They do say "stick with what you're good at".

Got home last night and had some goodies waiting for me - a new Radeon 9550 256meg video card and I Gig RAM
Oooohh,I want to add a Gig of RAM to my rig too,one of these days.

The weather
Gray and around 50 with scattered showers.Typical for this time of year,tomorrow is April though and things are looking up. :cool:

LATER!!!

Home Improvement Project of the Day
For years I have had a leak in my rain gutters. This would cause a fairly large and annoying drip just outside my patio doors. I could never figure out exactly what was causing it, without being able to actually get up there and look. I haven't done it 'til now, mainly because my roof is about 22' feet high, and I don't own a ladder that tall (and can't really justify buying one).

Well I finally borrowed a ladder from one of the other Dachays. Turns out the idiot who originally installed the gutters had one of the spikes nailed in at a downward angle. IOW, the spike was at the top of the gutter in the front, but where it entered the facia was almost at the bottom of the gutter. So naturally anytime there was a decent amount of rain, the water level would rise in the gutter to where the spike hole was and leak out from behind the gutter.

So I pulled the spike out, reinstalled it properly, and got some aluminum sealant and plugged the hole. Years of this problem for what amounted to a 30 minute fix. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well... at least I hope it's fixed. I guess I'll know after the next heavy rain. Which, according to Guy's weather report, may be headed this way. :)

I should add that being that high up on a ladder was not my idea of fun. So it appears that my next career won't be as a roofer. :o

A sad,sad story :(
Once there was a little homerecorder named acidrock.Acidrock was a harmless little fellow who minded his own business and worked hard everyday.
One day an E-mail arrived notifying the little homerecorder that he could get UAD plugs at 20% off plus an additional $25 off for each card the homerecorder had.Oh joy!This meant that acidrock could have the brand new Helios EQ for only $109. :cool: :D
But alas it was not meant to be,for acidrock was stricken with wife,children and a horrible insiduous malady know as priorities. :eek: Acidrock was sad. :( :(
Bye,bye little software plug,if only things had been a little different who knows how things might of turned out.We could've made beautiful music together. :(

Stupid recording tricks
I thought my computer was screwing up because I had to raise the latency to avoid crackling.As it turned out I had more than one track armed when I was doing some takes and I had recorded about eight more tracks thasn I thought I had. :D

I was wondering how I got so much bleed on a take.I put my headphones on and forgot to turn the monitors off.

And of course the classic mic facing the wrong way. :o :o :o :eek:

LATER!!!

I have little use for women's basketball - but thought I would mention that my Lady Knights from Rutgers will be playing for the Nat'l Championship this week. They are on a tremendous run, but will be severely tested with either Tenn. or NC.

Carry on.

dachay2tnr said:
Home Improvement Project of the Day
For years I have had a leak in my rain gutters. This would cause a fairly large and annoying drip just outside my patio doors. I could never figure out exactly what was causing it, without being able to actually get up there and look. I haven't done it 'til now, mainly because my roof is about 22' feet high, and I don't own a ladder that tall (and can't really justify buying one).

Well I finally borrowed a ladder from one of the other Dachays. Turns out the idiot who originally installed the gutters had one of the spikes nailed in at a downward angle. IOW, the spike was at the top of the gutter in the front, but where it entered the facia was almost at the bottom of the gutter. So naturally anytime there was a decent amount of rain, the water level would rise in the gutter to where the spike hole was and leak out from behind the gutter.

So I pulled the spike out, reinstalled it properly, and got some aluminum sealant and plugged the hole. Years of this problem for what amounted to a 30 minute fix. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well... at least I hope it's fixed. I guess I'll know after the next heavy rain. Which, according to Guy's weather report, may be headed this way. :)

I should add that being that high up on a ladder was not my idea of fun. So it appears that my next career won't be as a roofer. :o

After deciding that I was no t God's gift to th engineering profession, I joined the Fire Service. Except that I had a fear of heights. :o

In the training school, we were all given turns to be shot up on the top of a turntable ladder to its fullest extent. With the wind buffeting me and the crew below making the ladder shake (to test our resolve) it was more like a fairground ride :)

After that, I seemed to concquer fear of heights upto 100 feet.

acidrock said:
A sad,sad story :(
Once there was a little homerecorder named acidrock.Acidrock was a harmless little fellow who minded his own business and worked hard everyday.
One day an E-mail arrived notifying the little homerecorder that he could get UAD plugs at 20% off plus an additional $25 off for each card the homerecorder had.Oh joy!This meant that acidrock could have the brand new Helios EQ for only $109. :cool: :D
But alas it was not meant to be,for acidrock was stricken with wife,children and a horrible insiduous malady know as priorities. :eek: Acidrock was sad. :( :(
Bye,bye little software plug,if only things had been a little different who knows how things might of turned out.We could've made beautiful music together. :(

LATER!!!

A sad story indeed and one that I know only too well. Bye, bye Fender 60th Anniversary Strat :(

Guy, let's hope that none of your kids are bright enough or motivated enough to go to University ;) Otherwise, perpetual poorness will truly follow all your days ;)

Paul, I e-mailed Vic about your daughter's song. He took a listen and says he doesn't really hear drums in it. However, he said if you plan to add additional parts, he'll take another listen.

In the meantime, the next time I see him, I'll play it again for him and tell him what I think I want to hear in it. (After which he'll tell me I don't know anything and never did. :D )

Anyway, stay tuned.

dachay2tnr said:
Paul, I e-mailed Vic about your daughter's song. He took a listen and says he doesn't really hear drums in it. However, he said if you plan to add additional parts, he'll take another listen.

In the meantime, the next time I see him, I'll play it again for him and tell him what I think I want to hear in it. (After which he'll tell me I don't know anything and never did. :D )

Anyway, stay tuned.

Okay Mike, many thanks. I have to say that I don't hear drums either - just more strings. But again, what do I know? I didn't have time to mess with it over the weekend, but I may get some time over Easter.

Last year I took part in a remix competition for Peter Gabriel where he posted all the parts to his "Shock the Monkey" track. You could do anything with it that you wanted. Well, the posts were amazing; how some people can create something completely different from the same parts (you could add stuff, slice it, in short, do anything to it) is a wonder to behold. And the winner came up with a track that was loads better than the original too :eek: As did the next half a dozen contestants. ;)

Come on you Yankee slackers :p :) Have I got to do all the posting? And me a worker as well ;) :eek: :D

On a sadder note, Carol's Dad has now been given 2-4 weeks to live so I have come back home this evening instead of staying away. He will die of Renal failure - his kidneys are giving up. The prognosis is that he will sleep more and more and then drift into a coma and then slowly slip away. :( In a strange way, the sooner the better is the best we can hope for - saving a micacle.

Mike, your friends funeral must be this week - are you going?

Guy, how is your brother holding up?

These are tough days my friends, tough days :(

Back