Contest Good or Bad?

• Yes I would do it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No I think its silly

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I may do it if others decide to do it

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
It can be made like the original, it's just open to doing it your own style if you desire or just don't have the equipment/ability to do it.

Cheap Trick is good if you all agree on which one and plan on doing it too.

Cheap Trick is good if you all agree on which one and plan on doing it too.

Well now you're throwing all these RULES in, lol. I'd consider taking a stab at "I Want You To Want Me," but only if you want me to want to. And then there's like even odds that I'll flake out totally and not post again for 3 years, but I'll try.

I really like the idea of a contest like this, but I would need to be able to find the time to do it. What kind of timeline are we talking about for submissions/judging/etc?

I won so hard that the guy that started the contest got mad and got himself banned. For real.

I remember that! And when I told him he shouldn't sing so ridiculous, someone else came and told me he sings better than me--as if that defeated my point.

I really like the idea of a contest like this, but I would need to be able to find the time to do it. What kind of timeline are we talking about for submissions/judging/etc?

I mentioned in my first post that it would be 30 days to get your song done but that can be changed if need be.

So, what is it going to be a judgement of..
The mix?
The originality and creativity of the cover?
The performance and delivery of the song?
They are all very different things.

If I could make a suggestion, why not each pick our own song in the genre Classic Rock. Make our cover/tribute/spoof to the song and then we have variety to judge from. People vote, say 1-10 for creativity, 1-10 for the mix and technical, and 1-10 for energy and performance. Closest to 30 wins. Your prize is being able to pick the genre for the next challenge. I know I can find some time in 30 days.

I like your scoring Idea and that could definitely work. As far as the song, my thought process was to have everyone do the same song so we could hear people's interpretation of it and the different versions that may come out. I just re-hashed the idea of a contest just to give people something to do and possibly learn something(I know I would). I am afraid though that if the song is too difficult(I.E. Kansas), then people would less likely participate. I want it to be fun. Not everyone has the vocal(myself included) talent, and not everyone has an elaborate setup of instruments(myself included). I messed up from the beginning and didn't select a song and stick with it so now we have all these ideas which we can do them all in the future. So I apologize to everyone about that.

So with that said, I am narrowing it down to 2 songs. Cheap Trick "I want you to want me" and Van Morrison "Brown Eyed Girl". Lets take a quick vote and it will be done and we can get started.

Yes, I think it should be all the same song or else it defeats the purpose. If it's everyone doing their own cover, that's no different than what usually goes on here anyway.

WTF happened to Eye of the Tiger and that dumb Kansas song? I already worked up a mashup of the two into one. They actually go together really awesomely. Oh well, I guess now that my groundbreaking idea is out of the bag, I should let someone else win. :laughings:

Bruthish, it's your contest, stop taking ideas from the peeons.

Okay, so between the two, I'd go with Brown Eyed Girl. But I'm happy with either choice. Just got to get my lyrics rewrite done and come up with an idea...I like to Weird Al my covers...

Back