Contest Good or Bad?

• Yes I would do it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No I think its silly

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I may do it if others decide to do it

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I can't bear this song any more than anyone else clearly can, but I do like a challenge and I appreciate you making the effort to get it up and running Bruthish - so if I get chance between now and the end of the month, I might give it a quick bash.

I can't imagine who'll be able to bring themselves to listen to all 10 versions or whatever to ultimately judge it mind...

"Is it Brown Eyed Girl?", he asks.

No, it's Gar-ga-mel!
It's the end of the Smurfs as we know it! And I FEEL FINE!
I didn't do this intending to win.

https://soundcloud.com/broken_h/gargamel

It's just for fun. :)
Please don't ban me :eek:

Edit:
Okay, this stinks. I posted the song on soundcloud, but it sounds nothing like the file I used to post it. It's all muffled and overcompressed. I listen on my own system and then on soundcloud to the same file, and they're not even close. Ah well, like I said, it's just for fun.

Last edited:
LOL. Yeah, choosing a song will never please everyone - there's a solid argument for just doing it.
That said..brown eyed girl? That's one of those ones that makes you rip your hair out when the token drunken idiot starts requesting songs at your pub gig.
May as well do The Gambler, Galway girl (here anyway), Wagon Wheel, or anything by the Eagles. :p

You forgot "old time rock and roll" and "cocaine"

"Is it Brown Eyed Girl?", he asks.

No, it's Gar-ga-mel!
It's the end of the Smurfs as we know it! And I FEEL FINE!
I didn't do this intending to win.

https://soundcloud.com/broken_h/gargamel

It's just for fun. :)
Please don't ban me :eek:

Edit:
Okay, this stinks. I posted the song on soundcloud, but it sounds nothing like the file I used to post it. It's all muffled and overcompressed. I listen on my own system and then on soundcloud to the same file, and they're not even close. Ah well, like I said, it's just for fun.

I think you're the first to enter, so you're presumably winning right now.

Edit:
And having just finished listening, you've probably already secured my final vote!

Last edited:
And having just finished listening, you've probably already secured my final vote!

Was looking for a reason to use the formant control on Neptune. Makes me sound like I'm on helium...
Anyone who makes it through to the end and doesn't smile has something seriously wring....or right, in their head

Just when you thought this thread would die, some lame-oh brings it back to life with his version of BEG. :facepalm: :guitar: :( :thumbs up:

Scratch tracks. <check>
Canned grooves <check>
Only presets <check>

Finally had some time this weekend and knocked this one out. I used only canned grooves from ezd with no editing. I did zero processing on the drum channels; these are how they are from ezd. I used only presets and did no tweaking for the other tracks. Vocals and one rhythm guitar are scratch tracks.

I changed the words here and there....

View attachment BEG.mp3

Chili, perfect. Although I see now that the song choice was horrible, you did exactly what I was intending. Making a song your own and that is awesome man. Thanks for your addition!

Just when you thought this thread would die, some lame-oh brings it back to life with his version of BEG. :facepalm: :guitar: :( :thumbs up:

Scratch tracks. <check>
Canned grooves <check>
Only presets <check>

Finally had some time this weekend and knocked this one out. I used only canned grooves from ezd with no editing. I did zero processing on the drum channels; these are how they are from ezd. I used only presets and did no tweaking for the other tracks. Vocals and one rhythm guitar are scratch tracks.

View attachment 92181

Fair play, Chili! You da man!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I know I'm a hack, I enjoy it that way. I never do covers, so this was out of the box from the gitgo.

Major to minor always takes a fair amount of cheese out.

Yesterday my 14 yr old was listening and said I should use more major chords. lol :facepalm: I'm still working with him.... :D

Scratch tracks. <check>
Canned grooves <check>
Only presets <check>

View attachment 92181

Good job . Still can't stand this song any more.

OK is this still on? Because I didn't play in cover bands when I was a youngin and didn't go listen to cover bands all that much either...I've never played the song and LIKE the song...so

now that I am butchering covers...I'll bang this out into a bloody mess if this "Contest" is still on...

Lemme know..

Tomco

Hey, Tom. I just banged mine out in an afternoon when I wasn't all that busy. I could do a whole lot more to the song if I took the time to re-track all the lousy guitar work I put on it.
If you like it, do it. It's fun to butcher and remake songs of the past. It's also good recording and mixing practice. Whether or not there's a judging on the 5th of April, I had a great time working this thing out! :D

LOL.
May as well do The Gambler, Galway girl (here anyway), Wagon Wheel, or anything by the Eagles. :p

Now see, there's a plus side to letting contestants moan about other song options... Being American, I am going to guess that 90% of us USA cats have NEVER heard of Galway girl...but I just went and listened to it...Damn Irishman singing like he's from Nashville...pretty cool... Now I'm going to cover that dumb song and say I wrote it and no one over here will be the wiser...I'm gonna be rich! ;) ...or not..

Contest is still on TAE....even though most everyone hates the song, some have still have ventured into trying it. Give her a try!

Ok I did a rough one shot doing this tune pretty much the standard way and singing it in Van Morrison style..I played the guitar sounds in my MOX8 rather than piano.... but then

challenged to re-write the tune...I came upon a moment of inspired perspiration ... Van Morrison writing and singing this song for Pink Floyd... get ready ...it's a way rough one shot mistakes and all take but here's what I came up with.......

The Dark side of the Brown Eyed Girl....

Last edited:
Back