Contest Good or Bad?

• Yes I would do it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No I think its silly

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I may do it if others decide to do it

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I read the 1st page but there were/are too many to wade through.
Is this a MIX contest as described in the OP or a RECORD a cover & MIX it contest?
Is record the song from the OP?
I really like Chris' recording but am confused.

I'm not sure. But I'm not touching any of the suggestions with a remote-controlled bargepole. :D I'd rather cut off my ears and my fingers.

Haven't heard any of your stuff for years.

Good to see you, man

It needs a de-esser in the worst way

I actually knew that, and I used a de-esser, and it killed a lot of the life of the track, so I said to myself, "Chris, Dobro can't possibly be alive to bitch about your sibilance, so don't fuck with it." Well, I was wrong. So just for you, I went through and manually tapered down all the S's one by one.

You could put a shaker on this. I tried it, it works.

Did you record it? That would have been helpful, jackass! Funny thing, I told my kid, "this needs a shaker," and he said, "I think [his brother] broke it," and I said, "Yeah, well Dobro's probably dead, so I'll just turn up the pick noise on the acoustics and we'll call it good!"

I'm kidding a little, but that's my way of saying that I agree with you on both fronts and was just too lazy for this project. I appreciate the listen.

And just to convey my understanding...I know a few songs were tossed around, but one of them was "Brown Eyed Girl," and recording this one fast was my vote against BEG. I have played it ten thousand times in bars, and I just couldn't bring myself to think of that song in a different way. And I hate it, so there's that.

lmfao...I just saw the edit to the first post of this thread. I see now that the song chosen is not the one I posted, so ignore it, please. Also, please ignore all the negative things I said about "Brown Eyed Girl" and have fun recording it! (but I did sincerely appreciate the listens! :D )

Last edited:
At this point, it's just a Chris Harris appreciation thread, which is fine with me. :D

Yeah, it's pretty much difficult to top that. I'm not sure I want to try. And now that everyone hate BEG, I really don't want to try....

I might go with Surrender.

Yeah, it's pretty much difficult to top that. I'm not sure I want to try. And now that everyone hate BEG, I really don't want to try....

I might go with Surrender.

I'm pretty sure you and dobro were the only mods I ever liked. I'm glad y'all are both still up here kicking up dust. Sorry I derailed this.

I'm not fond of Brown Eyed Girl either, but I thought this was supposed to be a challenge. Turn it into a song you DO like.

What about a hank williams song. His songs have been done in all genres and are really good songs.
Brown eyed girl?
Come on man....I was sick of playing that song back in 1980.

So far everyone but 1 person has pretty much vetoed the chosen song. I don't like it either but was willing to make it into something my own style. But no big deal. It's not fun if no one wants to do it. There are a billion songs to choose from so it will be near impossible to make everyone happy.

This contest will continue as scheduled for those wanting to participate, but next time I will choose the song at the start and people can decide to play or not from the beginning.

LOL. Yeah, choosing a song will never please everyone - there's a solid argument for just doing it.
That said..brown eyed girl? That's one of those ones that makes you rip your hair out when the token drunken idiot starts requesting songs at your pub gig.
May as well do The Gambler, Galway girl (here anyway), Wagon Wheel, or anything by the Eagles. :p

I didn't even know that was a song until I heard it about 200 times here in the MP3 Clinic.

By the time I heard that song the second time, I was convinced it was an old standard that people had been beating to death since at latest the 80s and that I had heard it a million times.
So... good for them writing a song that evokes that idea I guess.

Back