The best way to transfer the analog signal from my 244 to my computer

If you want quality transfers, I suggest using a direct box (like a Rolls Matchbox II, if they are still available) and plug the output to a high quality 2 channel interface via mic inputs. This will handle any impedance incompatibilities and provide the cleanest transfers. The tape noise then can be dealt with in your editing suite. I know that this might seem a pricey solution, but if you plan to do a lot of these transfers, it might be worth the investment. Best of luck

Not necessary if the interface has line inputs. There will be no impedance mismatch. There will be a level difference, if the interface is +4. But that really doesn't matter, you can just turn it up 11db once it's in the computer.

The transfer of the Tascam 244 tapes would be done with the line outs of each channel going into an audio card that has 4 inputs. I bought a card a long time ago that was called an Aardvark which has 4 audio in and 2 digital. This with the right software would allow you to transfer the 4 channel tracks to individual track on a computer software maybe as Audacity or Cakewalk or whatever you want to use.
When you have it in the computer in it original 4 channel form you can save it as a project and mix it as many times as you would like not just the once. This would also then allow you to add additional; parts to the project if you wanted to enhance the song further.
When I was working in Radio I installed a number of audio interface cards from M-Audio called the Delta 44 and I think they came up with a Delta 66 too. This would allow you to transfer this into some software of your liking.
The computer is not so much the worry these day as they are all over powered from what is really needed.
If you are working with a 286 or early 386 then yes you should update. Any dual core AMD processor should be enough to handle any of this stuff. Much of it more depends on the software as a lot of audio is handled at the DSP level and computers can process signals very fast and are loafing most of the time.

Help

Is Cood Edit Pro a good enough program? It's always worked well for my purposes, but I wonder if the EQ things on it are "cheap" sound-wise or something compared to modern programs. Though if I can I'd prefer to mix on the 4 track first if I find a mixing board. The 234 does not have one, and I think I might need something. Mixing the individual tracks on computer would give you more options etc. But could mixing pre-transfer to digital be better in other ways? Any thoughts on the difference between these two processes.

Where can these soundcard things like My Layla or Aardvark or Delta 44 be purchased? I suppose they wouldn’t be likely found in modern audio stores? Would they need to be purchased on ebay? Stupid question here: what is Firewire and how do I know if I have it? I have an Acer Aspire V3-571, intel Core i5 2450M. I am the furthest thing from computer savvy unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas what would be best compatible to get my cassettes into my computer from my 234? I can't wait til I figure this out "properly", once and for all.

If I don't have Firewire(I'm not entirely sure what it is, but don't think I do) is there any reason why a USB connection with Layla would be superior than the connection going through the Focusrite Scarlett inputs?

Dood, you really need to do some research before you ask questions like this. If you do not even know if you have a firewire port, then you need to start reading and/or post in the newbie section.

No offense, but you need to understand what you have before asking questions.

Sorry! I didn't find anything to indicate that I had one, so I don't think that I do. Just forget that question? I think my other ones are still relevant. Sorry.

Look in the computer manual to see if it lists a firewire port. Firewire does the same thing that USB does, but it has advantages of more thru-put and less cpu overhead. It's just another way to get in and out of the computer.

You buy the audio interfaces at places like guitar center, sam ash, etc... Pro audio shops.

The Delta 44 will work just fine. The Echo Layla is no longer made, but was a really good. I don't think Aardvark exists any longer.

It works just like anything else... in order to get 5% better than the Delta, you need to spend five times the price.

Wait! do you have a laptop? The delta 44 requires a PCI slot, which requires a desk top. Look for USB audio interfaces at a pro audio shop. (don't look for soundcard, because you will get sound cards that need to be installed in a desk top, which you don't have)

Hey thank you so much for the informed response. I greatly appreciate it. Yeah , I have a laptop. So would a USB interface like Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 be the best I could hope for with a laptop? Though I suppose something with 4 inputs would be better. There are Echo Layla's on ebay, but I suppose those are also for desktops?

Sorry! I didn't find anything to indicate that I had one, so I don't think that I do. Just forget that question? I think my other ones are still relevant. Sorry.

I didn't mean to offend you man. Just try to be more clear as to what you have before asking questions.

We are all here to help. Fairview has you covered at this point. :)

You didn't offend me friend, I understand where you were coming from. My ignorant confusion/desperation to get my sail back in the water can make me more than a little frustrating to deal with sometimes I'm pretty sure ha. I appreciate all of your patience and genuine help!

I don't know the focusrite specifically, but if you look for USB audio interfaces, you will find dozens of them of all different configurations. If you want 4 in and 4 outs, there are plenty out there. Just look.

I don't know the focusrite specifically, but if you look for USB audio interfaces, you will find dozens of them of all different configurations. If you want 4 in and 4 outs, there are plenty out there. Just look.

Let us know which one you buy.
I need a 4in/4out usb interface and am having a hard time finding one. If anyone has a recommendation for laptop with usb 3.0 running cubase i'd appreciate it.

Check out a Tascam US1800. It might be a little overkill (but you could always frow into it) AND IT IS WELL ACCEPTED AS A GOOD AI FOR THE PRICE.

Check out a Tascam US1800. It might be a little overkill (but you could always frow into it) AND IT IS WELL ACCEPTED AS A GOOD AI FOR THE PRICE.

I would second that choice. Not sure there are any others under $300 with 4 line inputs.

Any interface that is less than $500 won't be noticably better than the onboard soundcard.

USB is fine now. The only concern would be throughput on high track counts, but that isnt an issue in this case.

There is really nothing wrong with using a rca to 1/8 adapter.

Unfortunately, you would have to spend close to $1000 for a two channel interface with a noticable quality jump from your onboard sound. (assuming the computer is less than five years old)

Really? I always heard the onboard soundcards weren't as good as a dedicated unit. What about transferring individual tracks (i.e. transfer four tracks from a 244, then mix each individually in software). Is that possible when transferring with RCA, or does it transfer all four tracks as one?

Really? I always heard the onboard soundcards weren't as good as a dedicated unit. What about transferring individual tracks (i.e. transfer four tracks from a 244, then mix each individually in software). Is that possible when transferring with RCA, or does it transfer all four tracks as one?
From something like your tascam, you will need to transfer all 4 tracks at the same time. The reason for this is the transport isn't accurate enough to keep the tracks completely synced through two passes. (I know, I tried it a long time ago)

What I meant by the statement is that the quality of conversion won't be much better, if any, than the onboard soundcard. But dedicated units for recording have a bunch of features that make recording easier/better and are designed with audio quality in mind, instead of just a way to talk on skype.

From something like your tascam, you will need to transfer all 4 tracks at the same time. The reason for this is the transport isn't accurate enough to keep the tracks completely synced through two passes. (I know, I tried it a long time ago)

Ah yeah, that is what I thought.

So if that is all I need, is there a unit that does only that? Most of the units on sweetwater have built in xlrs, preamps, etc. I don't like the idea of paying for all that if I just need to send 4 tracks from the 244 into the PC. Is there a specific device you guys would recommend if I only need that function? I already have preamps and everything else I need.

Thanks.

Back